Author Topic: Armor Class Weirdness  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
Armor Class Weirdness
« on: May 02, 2010, 09:14:47 AM »
I have a character (cleric) who wears the following:

Bracers AC2
Silver Shield +3
Ring of Prot +4
Helm +2
Cloak of Prot +3

That gives him an AC of -14. Without any body armor, mind you.

Adding a Plate Mail +1 does nothing to his AC, but giving him a Plate Mail +2 brings his AC down to -8. 

Can anybody tell me what's going on here?
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline DesertScrb

• Another day, another dungeon.
    • Super Galactic Dreadnought blog
Re: Armor Class Weirdness
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 02:04:56 PM »
Rings or cloaks of protection don't work with armor, so that's why equipping him with the +2 plate worsens his AC.

By my calculations, he should have an AC of -11 without armor.  Does your cleric have a high dexterity?

Also, is this in a hacked or unhacked design?  That might account for some armor discrepancies.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 03:31:31 PM »
Rings or cloaks of protection don't work with armor, so that's why equipping him with the +2 plate worsens his AC.

Thanks a lot. I didn't know that. I removed the armor of another character (who also wears a protective cloak and ring), and his AC got better, too.  :o

So characters get a penalty for wearing armor in addition to other protective items?

By my calculations, he should have an AC of -11 without armor.  Does your cleric have a high dexterity?

The character has STR 18 and DEX 17. When you remove all items, he has a base AC of 7. That could account for the three-point difference between AC -11 and -14.

Since he's one of my pre-generated characters, I might have tinkered with his stats a bit in CHAREDIT, but I doubt that I lowered his basic AC three full points.
I don't really remember, though...

Also, is this in a hacked or unhacked design?  That might account for some armor discrepancies.

All the items in question are unhacked, except for the armor, which is identical to Plate Mail, but lighter, and has a different name.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline DesertScrb

• Another day, another dungeon.
    • Super Galactic Dreadnought blog
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 06:44:20 PM »
Maybe the +1 armor was hacked from a different item, so that's why it doesn't affect the ring's protection aura.  If the +2 armor is unhacked, that would explain why your AC worsens when you ready it--the most protection you can get is from the armor, shield and helm; the rest doesn't work because you're wearing the plate mail.

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 10:59:51 PM »
Yup! The best protection you can get is actually from bracers, cloak, and ring with shield and helm (AC -23 with DEX 18) as opposed to armor (AC -17).

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 02:07:25 PM »
Maybe the +1 armor was hacked from a different item, so that's why it doesn't affect the ring's protection aura. 

I created a new class of armor (identical to plate mail, but lighter). For this, I put several different items (I can't remember what the original items were) into one of the free items classes of FRUA98 (class no. 52 in this case).

All of the armor items in this class are identical, except for their magic bonus.

I know that some effects depend on the item class number, like no. 63 being Drow items.

But these new armor items all use the same item class, so they should all either work with the protection rings or not.

I don't know why two items in the same class would behave differently, except if FRUA stored another kind of effect somewhere else, not in the item class or item instance menu.
Released designs:

The Sect

blacklotus

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 10:17:11 PM »
Maybe the +1 armor was hacked from a different item, so that's why it doesn't affect the ring's protection aura. 

I created a new class of armor (identical to plate mail, but lighter). For this, I put several different items (I can't remember what the original items were) into one of the free items classes of FRUA98 (class no. 52 in this case).

All of the armor items in this class are identical, except for their magic bonus.

I know that some effects depend on the item class number, like no. 63 being Drow items.

But these new armor items all use the same item class, so they should all either work with the protection rings or not.

I don't know why two items in the same class would behave differently, except if FRUA stored another kind of effect somewhere else, not in the item class or item instance menu.

That's 1 of the reasons I only substitute like for like (replace armor with armor, weapon with weapon) in my mod; I have no idea what specs are attached or not attached with the unused item.dat classes.

Unfortunately, FRUA is rather limited in official documentation compared to the way modern game mods are written/supported nowadays. (NWN, NWN2, etc)

p.s. I'm putting off my FRUA mod indefinitely...I've caught the Diablo 2 v1.13 bug over the weekend. :-[ :P