Author Topic: How Big is a Pixel in UA?  (Read 5934 times)

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
Re: How Big is a Pixel in UA?
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 02:07:06 AM »
(Kaz-Keith troubled himself to produce some properly scaled goblin icons several years ago, IIRC, using Dan Autery's human and elf icons as his standard, with excellent results.) 

Could you post this icon, or link to it? Thanks.  :)
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline DesertScrb

• Another day, another dungeon.
    • Super Galactic Dreadnought blog
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
(Kaz-Keith troubled himself to produce some properly scaled goblin icons several years ago, IIRC, using Dan Autery's human and elf icons as his standard, with excellent results.) 

Could you post this icon, or link to it? Thanks.  :)

I think hans is referring to kazpak2.  Here is the text file, and this is the download.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 02:34:39 PM »
I think hans is referring to kazpak2.  Here is the text file, and this is the download.

Thanks!  :)

These Goblins look great!
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline DesertScrb

• Another day, another dungeon.
    • Super Galactic Dreadnought blog
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 03:01:09 PM »
If you want to see them in action, check out my design that was inspired by those icons, The Goblins of the Shining Eye.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 03:04:03 PM »
I will. Thanks.  :)
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2010, 11:31:41 PM »
I haven't worked in FRUA, but I always thought FRUA had icons in multiples of 24 pixels (DC is 48 pixels).

A tall human is 6' tall, so I would set 24 pixels = 6' (man-sized), for 4 pixels/foot (1 pixel = 3 inches).

Of course, FRUA has some limitations in icon size (2 x 3 squares with some kind of hack, I think?), so monsters bigger than 12' x 18' must be squished somehow (artistically) I guess.

I think that the Gold Box games were very miniatures-based, and miniatures usually had 25 mm = 6 feet scales, but the bases (1 square inch, if I remember correctly) were equivalent to 10', which is a bit strange, but how it worked...

So, 1 pixel = 3 inches for heights, 1 pixel = 5 inches for the ground (if I did the math correctly)...
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://www.reonis.com/uatu/

Offline hans

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 02:43:23 PM »
Here's a demonstration with a few familiar combat icons from SSI's early Goldbox days, showing how tall they would be standing up straight.

Figure 1 (series of 3) uses the icon from the character generation screen.  Its head is 4 pixels tall (their early standard).  The proportions they gave the body (with this weapon choice) are bit too small in relation to the head.  I kept those dimensions for the second image of this set, and you can see that it just manages to stand up straight in a 24x24 box.  However, the proportions are child-size.  I fixed the proportions for the 3rd image, giving it true adult dimensions.  As expected, it stands out two pixels above the box. 

Figure 2 uses a Red Plume soldier.  Its head also is 4 pixels tall if you don't count what looks like a chin-strap as part of the head, nor the helmet's plume.  The proportions in this icon are correct for an average adult male (aside from one arm being stretched too long).  He turns out to stand 2 pixels out of the box, not counting the plume. 

Figure 3 is Alias.  She has a head that is 5 pixels tall, but her other dimensions are fairly correct for an icon with a 4 pixel tall head (massive breast size aside).  So, in standing her straight, I reduced her head to 4 pixels tall.  She also stands out from the box 2 pixels length.  However she is wearing high heels, which offsets her more petite, feminine proportions.   

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 03:09:21 PM »
Those aren't breasts. They are fantasy air bags designed to cushion blunt trauma blows and provide gentle repose for weary suitors after a long night of passionate ... err ... adventuring. They come standard on the FRUA Alias. I hear the newer models come with GPS, now ... Gold Piece Scrying.

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 04:42:51 PM »
So these Huge Icons are 68 x 46 = 14'9" x 10'0"

Tiamat - The Avatar of the Queen of Dragons as she appears in the finale of Dark Queen of Krynn. Actually, her body is a 2 x 3 icon which does not move and is set to blocked, and can not be attacked. Each of her 5 heads is an individual normal size icon with the stats of an Ancient Dragon and the breath weapon to go with the head color - Black, Blue, Red, White, and Green.

It's worth mentioning that any monster marked as 'huge' or bigger in 3rd ed terms can't be really done in FRUA icons.

Personally, I wondered: is there an icon treatment of Tiamat which preserves the body as a 2x3 icon and makes each of the heads a separate icon, as in DQK? You'd have enough monsters to do it, and it would make a truly magestic and fun final villain.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 06:31:19 PM »
Personally, I wondered: is there an icon treatment of Tiamat which preserves the body as a 2x3 icon and makes each of the heads a separate icon, as in DQK? You'd have enough monsters to do it, and it would make a truly magestic and fun final villain.

I tried that first before I squeezed Tiamat into a 68 x 46 Huge icon.

The difficulties are:
1) If you slay the body, it disappears, leaving 5 floating heads that fight independently.
2) The heads will sometimes switch their left/right facing.
3) It is impossible in standard FRUA to specify the exact location where icons are placed on the combat map.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
As I recall this was dealt with by having the body be invincible and I'm not that worried about the left/right facing...

How often can you get the heads to line up in a reasonable fashion? Seems to me if you had one orientation that worked you could just let the user know they always had to face south or something...

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2010, 08:36:04 PM »
As I recall this was dealt with by having the body be invincible and I'm not that worried about the left/right facing...

How often can you get the heads to line up in a reasonable fashion? Seems to me if you had one orientation that worked you could just let the user know they always had to face south or something...

1) In DQK, the body didn't count as a combatant. It could not be targeted. In FRUA, the combat won't end normally if you leave an invulnerable foe on the field of battle.

2) The left/right facing looks extremely odd when a head jumps free from its supposed neck.

3) You can get one or two heads to line up about 50% of the time if you know the party's facing ahead of time. You can get all 5 heads to line up 0% of the time.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2010, 04:37:25 PM »
I feel like mentioning that I've been working on a Tiamat icon for DC. :D each frame (if I'm remembering correctly) is 384 wide and 192 high, of in fRUA equivalents - 192x96. There are a lot of available images on Google that aren't big enough. I'm of course giving it my usual "3D" treatment. I've already completed a nice icon of Marduk for her to battle. :D

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2010, 10:07:50 AM »
Here is my Tiamat!

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2010, 04:00:05 PM »
Here is my Tiamat!