Author Topic: Missing an important step in art modification...  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
Missing an important step in art modification...
« on: March 19, 2010, 07:54:43 PM »
On my old Win98 based computer I had an image viewer with a few simple features that allowed me to e.g. open a pcx file and then paste something in it and it automatically converted the parts I pasted in to the palette of the opened pcx file. That way I could edit pcx files with Paint without changing the palette and color depth, just by copying from the palette sensitive image viewer and later pasting back into it (I hope you can follow me).

Now, either I haven't found a way yet to do the same thing on my newer Vista based computer, lacking the Win98 image viewer - or I've forgotten how to do it. I could still do this editing on my old computer but I'd prefer something more convenient. Does anyone of you have a good suggestion for a Windows based freeware tool that keeps the palette of a pcx file when I paste stuff into it? (IrfanView seems to adapt the pic to the pasted part instead of the other way around).  :-\

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
Re: Missing an important step in art modification...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 10:25:17 PM »
GIMP, maybe?

http://www.gimp.org/

I have not used GIMP in ... jeez ... a decade. I am pretty sure I used it to do what you are asking. Don't ask me how 10 years later, though. heh

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 06:30:31 AM »
As of late, I use Paint Shop Pro 3.11 for this purpose.

Just load the target picture, save its palette, then load that palette into the picture you want to paste, using the "nearest color"-option.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 09:46:06 AM »
I tried PSP 3.11 and it seemed to work, bringing me one step closer to the ideal frame I had in mind (see below). But I only got a 30-day-trial shareware version. And when I converted the pic to a FRAME.TLB frame and colors were messed up... Hm.  :-\

I also downloaded GIMP but didn't install it yet. Thanks for your help so far, Vix & Ben J!  :)

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 10:05:39 AM »
I tried PSP 3.11 and it seemed to work, bringing me one step closer to the ideal frame I had in mind (see below). But I only got a 30-day-trial shareware version. And when I converted the pic to a FRAME.TLB frame and colors were messed up... Hm.  :-\

My first thought was to use the PALSORT-option of TOOLBOX (which helped me greatly with my title pics), but it seems that TOOLBOX has options for everything, including the GEN and MENU TLBs, but not for the frame, which is odd.

For my version of the frame, I also filled the inside of the main window with black and deleted that one bright pixel on the lower right side - that looked irritating within the game.
Released designs:

The Sect