Author Topic: Big Art Update  (Read 4414 times)

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
Big Art Update
« on: March 17, 2010, 10:40:25 AM »
Well, in lieu of finishing my mod (?)  :P I have released most of what I have been working on for said mod on my website...  (I am not giving up on my mod, but it is very difficult to find time to finish it!  :( )

Basically, there are a bunch of icons (humans, tiger, 1e-sized dragons), small pics, walls, and so on...

It took me about 1.5 hours to update my site, though, although I did not manage to reorganize the webpage, I did change the way I was displaying walls, using CSS sprites to be sort of smart about it... ;)
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://www.reonis.com/uatu/

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
Re: Big Art Update
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 11:13:24 AM »
Chapeau! I just scanned over the protraits and walls, and I am really impressed. Can't wait to see these graphics in a playable design! :)
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 12:45:55 PM »
Is this only DC art? Because then you should post this in the DC art section. Maybe a moderator could move this thread.

BTW, the art is really sweet. That blue whale icon is... well, kind of whack.  :o ;D

If there's a Baluchitherium icon, is there any chance you'll ever do a Megatherium?
I'm dreaming of having a Megatherium icon for FRUA, but it would also be nice for DC.  ;)
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 12:52:37 PM »
Kudos to you Uatu... this is really fantastic stuff.

Any insight into how you prepare for art construction?

I am not sure if you designed for FRUA, but I can imagine the leap between graphics is a far and mighty one... daunting for someone like me.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 04:29:02 PM »
Very nice, my friend. :)

I've decided the easiest thing to do is just to mirror your site on my laptop, well at least the DC portion. :D

I'm also going to borrow the CSS from you so that I can have a cool wall section for the next incarnation of my website, whenever and wherever that may be. :D

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 08:51:59 PM »
Woops - guess I posted in the wrong section  :-[  (I cannot move it to the right one myself, can I ask for the help of a moderator?)

Thanks for the comments, guys (cha-poo to you, too, Dinonykos!).  :)  (Playable design?  What's that?  ;D)

I have never designed for FRUA before, but I did work in some engines that had palette requirements - that was a bit of extra work that was kind of frustrating in its own way when I got the palettes wrong...  I like DC because I can basically draw what I want, with only size restrictions (i.e. 48 x 48 increments for icons).  If people wanted to use my art for FRUA, I guess I could do 50% size conversions, do a bit of editing, and then have someone who understands the palette requirements do that last extra step for me :D  (I guess there are some other requirements, too, like size (2 x 3 max?) and file format (PCX?).)

I have considered doing a megatherium before :D  I do like drawing real modern or prehistoric animals to scale for DC (and also just for fun), so there is a chance I will do it in the future (other likely prehistoric animals are woolly rhinoceroses, mastodons, smilodon, and various dinosaurs) :)  I also like drawing whales, but that is another story (I am working on another one right now, to scale of course  :D )

As for methods for the art...  Well, there is one link from the Dungeon Craft section showing how I did two pieces (Glasya and the 2e-sized gold dragon).  In general, though, there are two ways I go about it - the first is the way for those two (basically drawing a line drawing in MS Paint first, cleaning it up, coloring it, and then shading it).  For icons, it is often easier to draw a grayish shade drawing instead, and then coloring and shading that directly.  Although the resolution is greater than FRUA, I think it is a rather good resolution - enough room for some detail, but not so huge that it is impossible to do.  (Still, FRUA art is probably a lot faster to do, as you hav to place only a quarter of the pixels.)

How did you mirror my site, manikus? :D  Does wget or other methods work on xthost?  Also, my CSS is quite wacko, so I would recommend only cutting the parts that you need for your site...  (Also note that if you use IE to view the site, something special will happen...)  I may modify my wall page later, too...

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 07:47:05 AM »
I have never designed for FRUA before, but I did work in some engines that had palette requirements - that was a bit of extra work that was kind of frustrating in its own way when I got the palettes wrong...  I like DC because I can basically draw what I want, with only size restrictions (i.e. 48 x 48 increments for icons).  If people wanted to use my art for FRUA, I guess I could do 50% size conversions, do a bit of editing, and then have someone who understands the palette requirements do that last extra step for me :D  (I guess there are some other requirements, too, like size (2 x 3 max?) and file format (PCX?).)

I fear converting the icons for use with FRUA might be even more time-consuming and unsatisfactory than creating them from scratch... But your small pics would translate without a problem and still be pretty cool to look at: 

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 07:53:11 AM »
This looks pretty good. Can we steal some of your art and make FRUA pics of it, Uatu?  ;D

@Olivier:

Gee, that frame looks nice! I wonder if that is already used somewhere... I could need a nicer frame for my game...
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 08:25:29 AM »
Gee, that frame looks nice! I wonder if that is already used somewhere... I could need a nicer frame for my game...

Hm, good question; I'm not quite sure. It's a frame I used in one of my unreleased - well, actually barely started - projects and I don't remember if I just stole it from another design or if I combined and slightly modified existing frames, maybe changed the palette. In the latter case I wouldn't mind sharing it though, if you're confident that it would fit your design. What I don't like about it is the compass font but apparently I haven't made any efforts yet to change it.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 02:54:38 PM »
In the latter case I wouldn't mind sharing it though, if you're confident that it would fit your design. What I don't like about it is the compass font but apparently I haven't made any efforts yet to change it.

I like the frame. It probably fits the theme of "heroic fantasy epic" a bit better than my current one, which I cobbled together for two reasons: 1.) None of the frames at corhub were quite what I was looking for. 2.) Because I had just found out how FRAMEDIT worked.

I would probably make some changes, including the compass font you mentioned.

I'd be happy if you could send me the basic files for it (FRAME, MENU, GEN). Or the PCX templates, if you have them. Then I'll see how it looks, and if it goes together with my ALWAYS.TLB-file.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 06:11:15 AM »
I'd be happy if you could send me the basic files for it (FRAME, MENU, GEN). Or the PCX templates, if you have them. Then I'll see how it looks, and if it goes together with my ALWAYS.TLB-file.

Sent to your e-mail address!  :)

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 06:12:38 AM »
Thanks very much!  :)
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 08:55:57 AM »
This looks pretty good. Can we steal some of your art and make FRUA pics of it, Uatu?  ;D

Sure, why not?   ;)  As long as you guys do the conversion work for me :D  (If you put my name on it, that would be even better - something like "by Edward Cha, converted by Olivier Leroux"... for example...  (don't want people to think that THAT Uatu made it ;D ))

But hey, that IS a nice frame...  Would be nice to have a DC equivalent of that :D  I always find it hard to think of good frames...

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 01:15:56 PM »
Apart from resizing the small pic and converting it to 256 colors, I also increased contrast and modified the gamma filter a little because I felt the resizing made the colors look a little washed out and blurry otherwise. Would you give your consent to such color adjustment modifications during the conversion process, too?

BTW, like manikus, I'm working with a brighter monitor now - did the pic come out a little too dark for you other guys?

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 03:11:15 PM »
Olivier - I like the darker scheme to it; there is a blue marble frame for FRUA available that appears similar, but it is very bright.

Nice job.  Also, as a person who alters/formats existing artwork to generate for use instead of creating from scratch (most of the time), I know from experience that this requires different skills in itself... keep at it!

anything