Author Topic: Heirs to Skull Crag  (Read 7367 times)

Offline hans

Re: Heirs to Skull Crag
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 03:13:51 PM »
When I finally got an internet connection and found the UA community, lo, those many years ago, I was expecting that many FRUAuthors would have made their own versions (revisions/revamps) of that game, made as they were learning the engine.  I was quite surprised that there were none.

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 04:32:03 PM »
That's probably because nobody liked it. :D
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline hans

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 06:50:52 PM »
Yes, the mod was rather disappointing, but including empty dungeons with walls already inserted seemed like the makers' open invitation to make it better, or different, or add to it.  All the tools were there.  And it wasn't locked.  And I figured there most be some timid or lazy authors within the community who wouldn't want to build from scratch...  But, not even a lampoon version. 

That's not a complaint against FRUAdom, as there are more mods out there than I am likely to play in my lifetime (judging from my current rate of consumption), but it just simply seemed surprising for me not to see:

Heirs to Skull Crag for Experts
J.R.R. Tolkien's Heirs to Skull Crag
Heirs to Skull Crag in the 25th Century
Monty Python's Heirs to Skull Crag
Heirs to Skull Crag, for Adults Only 
Dark Sun: Heirs to Skull Crag
Heirs to Skull Crag vs. Mavel Comics   
A Gnome's Guide to Heirs to Skull Crag
Heirs to Skull Crag, the Rock Opera
Heirs to South Park
etc.   :P

Offline Baby Bonnie Hood

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 08:19:04 PM »
Sorry, but the fact is that Heirs to Skull Crag is just no Town of ZZT :P

Offline Jadefang

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 12:07:33 AM »
A long time ago I actually made a crude humour version of Heirs to Skull Crag (called Heirs to Skull Quagmire) that was just a bunch of text edits to give the characters more vulgar dialogue. Overall it was probably in poor taste, and seems to be permanently lost from all my hard drives now.

Also was in the process of making a parody sequel where all the major NPCs (Dazmilar, Kallithrea, Yemandra, Sir Dutiocs, etc.) deposed the new Roadwarden (i.e. the party) and turned evil and became tyrants of Skull Crag.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 07:01:32 AM »
Throughout the years, I have considered doing a "remake" of Heirs to Skull Crag in the style of some of my other modules.  Certainly, I thought, it would be much easier to work with an existing module and expand or fix it than do one from scratch, right?

Well, that's not really the case.  Especially when the module isn't very good to begin with.  It's hard to really find enjoyment to do something like that when you don't even like the module you're working on.

When I bought UA, I knew it would let me build my own Gold-Box games.  Seeing it had a built-in game gave me dreams that we were also given the 10th Gold-Box adventure...but sadly, that wasn't true either.  That game doesn't hold a candle to the original games at all.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2011, 03:50:32 AM »
Heirs to South Park

Oh, there's actually a demand for this module? I might start working on it again, then. In any case better than any of my attempts at "Planescape: There's a Skull Snag" ...  ;)

On a more serious note, I'm always tempted by the thought of enhancing a module like this, whenever the suggestion comes up. But the reason I shy away from it every time is that if I do it in a way that's interesting for me as a player and designer and turn the module into something *I* would enjoy, it probably wouldn't have a lot in common with the original anymore and disappoint all the Goldbox veterans who'd have an interest in a new version of HtSC. I guess it's just too much hack and slash for my taste. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 03:59:35 AM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 07:32:40 AM »
But the reason I shy away from it every time is that if I do it in a way that's interesting for me as a player and designer and turn the module into something *I* would enjoy, it probably wouldn't have a lot in common with the original anymore and disappoint all the Goldbox veterans who'd have an interest in a new version of HtSC. I guess it's just too much hack and slash for my taste.

Don't worry about that, I've seen your work and know it would be better than the original, even if you don't have my penchant for hack and slash.

(Better too much than too little.  ;D )
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2011, 08:14:47 AM »
Another, maybe more critical reason against such a project is that I'd have to suffer through a playthrough of the original first before I would be able to adapt it ...  ;D

Offline hans

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2011, 10:18:56 AM »
Any new Olivier Leroux mod would be cause for celebration!   :occasion18:

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2011, 07:35:18 AM »
Thanks for the vote of confidence, hans!  :)

It's not very likely that there will be a new module by me anytime soon but I will admit my interest in designing with UA and DC has recently been renewed again (also thanks to what's going on here in the forum, the talk and even more so the eye candy provided by GoldBoxFan, The ?, arelim, Dinonykos and others).

Anway, when trying to enhance Heirs to Skull Crag, one should probably first ask the community what it is that went wrong with the original, why people didn't like it that much in teh first place. Just out of curiosity, did we already have such a discussion? Any UANL articles, any bug lists, any forum threads or polls?

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2011, 10:32:48 AM »
What's wrong with it?  Where do we start?

Bad balance, terrible combats, lackluster storyline, empty areas and several annoying dungeon mazes.  That's what I remember.

LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2011, 01:12:20 PM »
And the next question, why would anyone want a remake of a module with lackluster story (assuming you could fix the bad balance and bad area design)? Was there anything good about Heirs to Skull Crag, too?  ;D

Offline hans

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2011, 02:57:08 PM »
And the next question, why would anyone want a remake of a module with lackluster story (assuming you could fix the bad balance and bad area design)? Was there anything good about Heirs to Skull Crag, too?  ;D

I liked the idea of the competition between the heirs, and how each had a servant helping us for a specific quest.  Making that competition even more heated, with more suspicions, rumors, back-stabbings, red herrings, etc., might enhance an already good thing.

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2011, 08:02:31 PM »
Heirs strikes me as more an example of editor functions than an attempt at a good design. Examining the module in the editor taught me a lot about how events and variables work. There have been many better examples since then, but when it was released it was really the only one. (I consider Tutorial.dsn to be too simplistic to offer much in this area.)

As hans said, the basic premise could be worked into something quite interesting.

Or perhaps the heirs are be killed off one by one in varying order and by varying means, depending upon the player's actions, and one of various possible endings would occur. Kind of like the movie "Clue".

But a "Kill the Heirs of Skull Crag" module would probably be my favorite.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.