Author Topic: searching for traps  (Read 640 times)

Avin

searching for traps
« on: August 14, 2009, 10:02:52 AM »
I've been unsuccessful at getting an event to trigger when a party is searching for traps. As I understand any party with a rogue that is searching should count as searching for traps. I guess I could check it with an event looking to see if the party is searching followed by an event that checks if the party has a rogue if they first event happened. Any other suggestions?

Offline Kaz-Keith

Re: searching for traps
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 10:41:07 AM »
Hey there Avin:  your description of what you would do sounds just fine.  There are several ways to check for whether the party detects a trap or not, however, Search mode being one. Checking to see if the Find Traps spell is active upon the party is another (and a favorite of some of the players/designers here :) .  I would suggest that if you are going to include a system for detecting traps that you a) be consistent and b) utilise both means in case the party is rogueless and searching and may or may not have Find Traps spell active, or in case the party is rogueless and searching and has no Find Traps spell active, as well as if the party has a rogue and is searching.

As far as setting up such an event chained to include the possibilities (not to mention the trap effect itself), I leave that to other more experienced designers among us.  Darius Whiteheart has always been my go-to for scripting chains, but there are loads of talented folk available here who can answer better than I.

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 10:43:03 AM »
If you're referring to the 'Party Is Detecting Traps' setting, that applies only to the cleric 'Find Traps' spell.

As Kaz-Keith said, there are ways to give a thief a chance to detect traps, but they all involve events the designer has to devise and set up.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Avin

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 12:26:32 PM »
Thanks guys, I'd thought that the 'Party Is Detecting Traps' setting included rogues searching. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

anything