Author Topic: Music Questions  (Read 8019 times)

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
Re: Music Questions
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2009, 02:55:45 AM »
All I can really suggest is that it's a trial and error process where sometimes the MIDI has to be modified to use different instruments.  I don't really use a scientific method for getting an uncooperative sound file to play the correct instruments.

The additional difficulty with the music is that on my computer, it sounds pretty much exactly like I recorded it (an external MIDI player like WinAmp plays it the same way as UA plays it), but on a different computer, with a different soundcard, the choice of sounds may apparently vary.

So unless I limit myself to the most basic instruments (piano, bass, drums, strings), I think cannot be sure how the music sounds on a different computer.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 02:57:35 AM by Ben J »
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline hans

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2009, 03:30:27 PM »
Offhand, I can't think of a single mod with new music that I've played where the tunes didn't sound just as good as UA's defaults to the ears.  Rather, time and again, hearing new music in a mod has been a wonderful thrill.  So, in my experience, it's all good, even if it isn't perfect or sound exactly the way intended.   ;)

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2009, 08:00:54 AM »
Offhand, I can't think of a single mod with new music that I've played where the tunes didn't sound just as good as UA's defaults to the ears.  Rather, time and again, hearing new music in a mod has been a wonderful thrill.  So, in my experience, it's all good, even if it isn't perfect or sound exactly the way intended.   ;)

:)

Despite the difficulties in cnverting the MIDIs, I enjoyed doing the music for my game a lot.
I could even imagine scoring someone elses mod, it's just so much fun. ;)
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2010, 01:33:50 PM »
What exactly does the file INSTR.AD do?

In Newsletter # 35, I found this article, where it says:

One important thing I nearly forgot, is you'll need to use the newinstr.ad file in your design to keep things sounding consistent from the MIDI you're working with to the XMI you put in your game.  You can find this in many of the music (and design) downloads at the UA File Archive such as: http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/sound/hackxmi.zip

I put the NEWINSTR.AD into my design folder, and after I ran the game once, it vanished. I guess UAShell wrote over the old INSTR.AD file.
Now, on my computer, everything sounds the same as before. But maybe it helps playing the music on other computers (since I have noticed that the music can sound very different on other systems, sometimes even using wrong instruments)?

« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 01:35:32 PM by Ben J »
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2015, 10:32:20 PM »
Reinvigorating this thread after five years ... hope that's okay.

I have been creating (well, really converting) a midi for use in FRUA. I want to put it in the Overture slot, so that it plays automatically on FRUA startup.

I have reduced the orchestra down from 16 channels to 8 (including "drums" instead of timpani).

I have managed to get the file to play in FRUA. It is acceptable but not quite as I had hoped. In particular:

1. I had to shorten the file to about 31 seconds playtime. I was hoping to have it go a fair bit longer, so it would play throughout all the opening screens, but it kept being chopped off at about 32 seconds and then just playing a single high-pitched beep every few seconds. I was a little surprised because I thought the default Overture theme went for longer. I guess the complexity of the music just means that with this tune I cannot have it run any longer than that? I assume that reducing the length of other songs would not buy me more length in the Overture?

2. I don't have the greatest ear, but it sounds like some of the tracks/channels are not playing. In particular, I know I cannot hear the "drums" on Channel 10. I'm not sure that they were really a positive feature of my converted midi, but I am not hearing quite what I expected. I wonder if anyone can assist me to fine tune my midi music? Are there particular "instruments" that won't play in FRUA?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

I can also post the full length midi, shortened midi and xmi file here if that would assist.

Offline hans

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2015, 12:54:32 PM »
Yeah, why don't you post 'em. 

I haven't tried to run my music editing proggies on this new computer, yet, but I can see if anything jumps out at me about your tune.

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2015, 04:59:25 PM »
Thanks hans!

Offline hans

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2015, 08:00:30 PM »
Looking at your tracks in Schumn3b, I suspect the trouble is in "Track 8, Strings." 

First of all, it's a Multi track (switching from one instrument to another in the middle of the track), which is something I believe UA dislikes. 

But the bigger problem I see is that the track has 794 events.  I notice problems with my .XMIs if there are more than 500 events in a track. 

I also notice problems if too many events are set to start at the same time, but I've not calculated what the tipping point is on that.  If I find my .XMI is stopping prematurely at a certain point in the tune, however, I check to see if there isn't a log jam of events trying to all fire at that point. 

On to another question: well, there are instruments that will play softer than normal in UA, and plenty that sound different than in most midi players when heard in UA.  The Instr.ad file can make a difference, and there are differences in what a SoundBlaster configured UA makes your midi sound like as compared to a Roland.  I go through a lot of trial and error to get my tracks to sound reasonably nice for a SoundBlaster configuration, trusting that they'll sound, if anything, better for Roland (which is normally the case). 

Music varies more than any other aspect of UA from computer to computer.  There are quite a number of factors involved.  An author can only try to produce something that works well for their machine and hope that it won't sound too badly for their players.   :-\

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2015, 09:53:15 PM »
Thanks for the tips. I will see what I can do.

I'm thinking perhaps I should divide up "strings" into two separate tracks while perhaps merging oboe and bassoon into one track.

Are "events" the same as "notes"?

Offline hans

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2015, 10:59:23 PM »
Are "events" the same as "notes"?

Mostly, but also included are such things as Key Pressure, Controller Changes, Patch Changes, Pitch Bends, etc. 

On that topic, btw, you have Time Signature events in Tracks 1-8.  You should only have one in Track 0.  I don't think it really matters in UA, tho, other than being a very slight, superfluous addition to the midi's overall size.

anything