Author Topic: DC Designing FAQ  (Read 6774 times)

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
Re: DC Designing FAQ
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2009, 12:39:29 PM »
Alright, that would have been my Plan B anyway. And since the number of events is not as restricted as in UA, I guess it's fine. :)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2009, 12:46:05 PM »
Unless you're already getting close to 17 million events in that level, the number used won't be a problem. :)

DC allows 16,777,215 events per level. Each Text Statement event is allowed up to 2 billion characters.

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2009, 01:02:54 PM »
Unless you're already getting close to 17 million events in that level, the number used won't be a problem. :)

DC allows 16,777,215 events per level. Each Text Statement event is allowed up to 2 billion characters.
Quite a challenge for those who like each dungeon filled to 100% with text!  :D
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2009, 01:55:33 PM »
And with each Text Statement able to hold roughly the equivalent of a Robert Jordan book, that is pretty staggering. I'm guessing a lot of copying and pasting would need to be done. ;)

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2009, 02:55:48 AM »
 :o

And I'm still struggling with FRUA for single characters of text in some dungeons.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2009, 05:09:13 AM »

Meh, I'd bet on Harri Polsa for being one of the first to meet/exceed this.

On a side note (curiously), is that exact number 16,777,215 based on an algorithm or something?

(first game idea:  UP! the DC game! -- ...proceeds to type 'up' a billion times.)

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2009, 11:46:17 AM »
10. What's the function of the "Look" command in DC?

If you press it you get a message "You look around..." (I'm not sure right now if you get that in UA too) but if there actually is anything to see, this text will immediately be overwritten by the new event. I can see the text appear but it's too fast to read it.

If I'm not mistaken, in UA "Look" is accepted as searching, while in UA apparantly it's not. So you can't check if a player is "Look"ing at something or not, which interferes with my plans on using it. I prefer it if players only search in suspicious spots and not just keep "Search" toggled on throughout the whole mod. But the disadvantage of toggling "Search" on in specific spots is that you have to walk one step before it works. In UA you can search specific spots immediately with "Look", in DC you can't.  :(

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2009, 11:59:31 AM »
10. What's the function of the "Look" command in DC?

In case you press "look", the same amount of time passes that passes if you do a step in "searching" mode, and all events with the "while party is searching" trigger are triggered.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2009, 12:20:11 PM »
That's what I thought it should do but it didn't. Anyway, the reason why it didn't work is that I checked for the searching condition with a step event and that can't be triggered by the "Look" command. I hadn't thought of that, I guess the way I set it up it wouldn't work in UA either.

I'm glad to know the "Look" command is functioning the same way as in UA then. :)

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2009, 07:13:15 PM »
As for the 16,777,215 it comes from the fact that 2^24 = 16,777,216. Here the caret^ means exponentiation...

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2009, 09:10:43 PM »
As for the 16,777,215 it comes from the fact that 2^24 = 16,777,216. Here the caret^ means exponentiation...

*is enlightened*

Thanks!

anything