Author Topic: New Tutorials  (Read 1562 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
New Tutorials
« on: June 07, 2009, 02:31:16 AM »
I've finally completed the promised tutorials, and they are now up on my site. :)
There is a tutorial to create a shop that is only open during a specific hour of the day (the designer's choosing) and tutorial to calculate and track the phases of the moon.

See the latest post on my site for full details and just click on the "Tutorials" link on the right-side to go the Tutorials page.

http://dungeoncraft.skybakcone.com/

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: New Tutorials
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 04:46:34 PM »
Wow, that's awesome.  I didn't even know you could do scripting like that with DC.

I'm going to have to look into it a little deeper next time.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 09:41:16 PM »
The GPDL engine is a wonderful tool. Basically, it allows the designer to directly manipulate every part of the game. You can examine every aspect of the PC or  party, create variables, do mathematical and logical manipulations of all of these things. We can change walls in the game, change PC icons from combat to combat (just a couple of the other tutorials I've done).

Plus GPDL can be used to create a talk file that allows for dialogs like in the Ultima games. :D

And that's really just the tip of the iceberg, I'm sure there are lots of things that I haven't even thought of doing in a design that we can do with the power of GPDL. :D :D :D

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 11:54:14 PM »
I'm not much of a scripter, but I've seen the power of scripting in my time working with Neverwinter Nights and programs like RPG Maker VX.  Seems to me that if UA would have had scripting power, there wouldn't be a need for DC. 

That said, I'm hoping that DC continues to head toward being finished so that those of us waiting for a chance to put it to use can finally get to creating some great designs.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 05:55:10 AM »
Woohoo, I'm excited about that Ultima dialogue option! How difficult to do is that for someone with nearly no experience in scripting and little patience?  :D

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 09:45:08 AM »
From what I saw, even if you have no scripting experience, it's probably like Neverwinter Nights, where you can use script templates or get someone else to write the script for you.  Of course, I haven't actually used it at this point...I just looked at the pretty pictures.

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 09:48:06 AM »
Plus GPDL can be used to create a talk file that allows for dialogs like in the Ultima games. :D

This sounds great. Ultima-style dialogue was something that I tried to incorporate into "The Sect", but due to UA's limitations, had to be considerably downgraded.

Also, I'm a big fan of the old Ultimas (parts IV to VII, to be exact), so the prospect of a combination of the mechanics of the Gold Box-games with the immersiveness of the Ultimas really excites me.

I will definetly get DC once it's finished.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 02:53:44 PM »
For the dialog, there's a pretty comprehensive help file already written that come with Dungeon Craft in it's official release. :)

The idea is that everything that can be done in FRUA can be done in DC without knowing any scripting. There are easy to use and understand dialogs in the editor to guide you though adding things that are really being done by a script behind the scenes. :D And for the more advanced stuff, that actually requires scripting, we're working on the help right now and will be providing plenty of sample scripts. Plus, everything in DC that uses a script can be looked at by the designer, so she can take an already existing script and twist it to her own needs as well.

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 06:55:50 PM »
I did very much similar with scripts in NWN. I took existing stuff, tinkered with it, then figured out how to make them do what I wanted.  One of my favorites was an on_death script for a gelatinous cube ... the cube had a blue vfx making it a chilly looking thing, when it was "killed" it would explode (more vfx) doing a radius of cold damage, then forming smaller frosty blue oozes which attacked.

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 08:38:56 PM »
Hmm - that sounds pretty nice, wonder if on_death works in DC?  (Many critters need such things, like wild boars and such.)  :)
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://www.reonis.com/uatu/