Author Topic: PREVIEW: The Realm - Game 06 - B8 - Journey to The Rock - Special Edition  (Read 3167 times)

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
The SE project I have been working on is complete!

Ray Dyer allowed me to update his Game 06 design from The Realm. Almost all the small and big pics have been updated or replaced. There is an updated title sequence, frame, and always. The scant typos in the game have been corrected to the best of my ability. There were no known bugs.

"Journey to the Rock" is for a party of 6 characters, levels 1-3, and serves as a great stepping stone into The Realm. It is best served as the first of the Westlands campaign.

Synopsis:

To a wizard, knowledge is power, and the wizard Lirdrium Arkayz wants to know the mysterious secret of The Rock. Many have tried to discover it -- but The Rock keeps its secrets well. The wizard offers a rich reward to anyone bold enough to solve this dark mystery.

But the road to The Rock leads to danger and hidden peril -- dangers that have claimed the lives of many brave adventurers. Rashness and folly will lead to quick death, but riches await the clever and brave. Have you the wits, courage, and skill to survive the Journey to The Rock?

Until it is posted at Rosedragon, you may download the design from the following link:

http://www.4shared.com/file/107671528/e0dafaee/game06se.html

Offline DesertScrb

• Another day, another dungeon.
    • Super Galactic Dreadnought blog
Congrats on finishing, and thanks for doing this!

What inspired you to create a special edition of this design?

Offline Vix

• Administrator
What inspired you to create a special edition of this design?

Boredom? ^.^;;

Several reasons, actually...

This was one of the early Realm releases, late '98. So it has likely been a good long while since anyone has played through it. "Journey to The Rock" is also a fantastic first adventure in The Realms, great for beginning characters, and one that has always made me feel like I am playing a P&P game. It also has some replay value, as there are several paths and options to choose while playing.

I had replayed it and thought that the recent talks of using the ArtSwap stuff to freshen up non-hacked mods could apply to mods with imported art and hacks. There were an awful lot of old, faded, pixelated images in the design, and I knew I could freshen up most of them.

When I spoke about it to Ray, and showed him a few images, he got excited. How excited? Let's just say that in our handful of email exchanges I will never run out exclamation points to use.And if it excited Ray, the creator of the Realm and this design, I just had to finish it.

So, I hope that you all play it through again, or for the first time. Ray did a fantastic job on converting the module with a loving care and detail I only wish I was able to enhance with updated art. Where possible, I kept to the images Ray chose, trying to adhere as close to his style and theme of the design.

If you do enjoy the game, make sure to drop Ray a thank-you for the design.

So, Ray ... thank you for all your hard work and dedication to FRUA over the years, and for giving us The Realm.

And, as always, I would like to thank hans for some behind the scene help and advice on a few images. And John Kochmar who pretty much previewed each image for me, sometimes as i was doing it.

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
Cool. Just downloaded it. I'm eager to see your updated pics in action.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Just played it for a bit!

Your new artwork looks great, especially that portray of the bald, bearded guy (forgot his name).

I didn't play the game for very long yet. But I really like the frame and overall color scheme. Also, the music from Monty Python and the Holy Grail made me smile.

Only thing I didn't like so far had to do with the backdrops: There is a giant moon in the sky wherever you look. Also, you can stand outside the mansion and look inside and see the night sky behind the windows. That's something I always tried to avoid while designing a dungeon map.

Apart from that, It's pretty cool.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 07:26:17 AM by Ben J »
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Vix

• Administrator
I did not change Ray's music selection as I considered that an integral part of his original design vision. I also thought about changing the backdrops, but decided against it. I did not not notice the mansion/backdrop thing during my multiple play troughs ... but then again, I never even thought about that.

If you like the way the design was made, Ray deserves the credit. I just prettied up some art.

Offline Krys Tamar

• Prince of Vagabonds
    • Taer Campaign
I didn't play the game for very long yet. But I really like the frame and overall color scheme. Also, the music from Monty Python and the Holy Grail made me smile.

Yay!  The Holy Grail XMIs I uploaded did get used!  This excites me!  Now, I'll have to play the mod.  BTW, the quickest way to get me to play a mod is to incorporate something I've created for the community.  It may sound a little selfish, but I love to see how my contributions are used (and even that they are!)

Offline Vix

• Administrator
Hehe  ... I've posted so much art and junk for the community I tend to run across it a lot. But, like you, I smile and feel a bit of self pride in seeing it.

The stuff i tend to see the most are my various portait images (predominantly the Arkania and the D&D CD-ROM ones) and the dwarven icons I cribbed from Dan Autery. (Oh, and my ancient beetles)

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Quote from: Vix
If you like the way the design was made, Ray deserves the credit. I just prettied up some art.
I know. I think I'll send him a message when I'm through with the game, and/or write a review here.
But that could take a while, because I'm playing too much at the same time, Dark Alliances, Pool of Radiance, now Journey to the Rock, and I'm still translating my own module...

Quote from: Krys Tamar
Yay!  The Holy Grail XMIs I uploaded did get used!  This excites me!  Now, I'll have to play the mod.
I also liked the other holy Grail reference in the game: The rest event pic that just says "Intermission".
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Vix

• Administrator
Ray uses the "Intermission" pic for almost all of his mods (that I've played).