Author Topic: Can't get Pool of Radiance to run under DOSbox.  (Read 13441 times)

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
Can't get Pool of Radiance to run under DOSbox.
« on: May 11, 2009, 05:07:04 AM »
Gold-Box-Question:

I tried to run the original Pool of Radiance under DOS-Box, but the game crashes after the character creation (it says: Insert disk 3 and then freezes).

Has anyone ever had this problem? Does someone know how to fix it?

Thanks

Ben

P.S.: I had completely forgotten how annoying that code-wheel was.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
Re: Can't get Pool of Radiance to run under DOSbox.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 08:20:53 AM »
I cannot say for certain, but depending on what media you installed from (CD or DVD vs floppies vs CD-image etc) it may very well be looking for a mounted drive. Ben S would know more I think as he runs DOSBox native without front-ends.

Offline DesertScrb

• Another day, another dungeon.
    • Super Galactic Dreadnought blog
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 08:33:52 AM »
Maybe it's looking for a SAVE folder, just like UA will give that "Insert Disk 2" error if you don't have one.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 10:50:13 AM »
Actually, I had the same issue.

For some odd reason, the only way to get the game to work correctly is to have it installed at "C:\POOLRAD"

I can't get it to work in any other directory without getting that exact same error.  If you don't have it in this location, it assumes you are playing from the floppies (a very real possibility in 1988), and crashes when looking for them.

My guess is that the game, being that old, makes the assumption that if you have a hard drive (which you may not have had at the time of the game's release), it's going to be in a directory called "POOLRAD" on the main drive C.  This is the only one of the gold-box games that seems to have this issue.

You don't have to reinstall it.  Just copy everything from the current directory to a new directory called "C:\POOLRAD" and start it from there.  It should work fine. 

Let me know what results you get.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 10:56:30 AM »
I usually just drag-and-drop the start file for an old game onto the DOSBOX-icon and it works. As far as the Gold Box games go, I tried it with UA, Dark Queen of Krynn and Pools of Darkness, all worked fine.

I added a SAVE directory to the POOLRAD directory, but to no avail.

I think it's a problem with the save path/mounted drive, but the Install.exe-file in the main directory of the game won't let me change anything.

Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Vix

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 10:58:25 AM »
You posted very shortly after Ben, Ben. (hehe)

It's possible you have not seen his reply. Have you tried what he suggested?

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 11:12:19 AM »
Yes, thank you, Ben! :D

It runs, but only when I start without DOS-BOX. In DOS-BOX, I get the same disk 3-error. Is there a way to "mount" it in DOS-BOX? If not, I'll have to play it under windows, if there are no speed issues.

Was there ever any sound except PC speaker? I remember on the c64, It had this great title music.

But it works, yay! New Phlan, I'm coming!
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Vix

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 11:57:39 AM »
I use a front-end for DOSBox called D-Fend. It allows you to mount a drive, so I assume DOSBox does. Unfortunately, I have no clue how. =/

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 03:24:43 PM »
Mounting a drive in DOSBox if fairly easy.  You simply type "mount," followed by the drive letter you want to use, and what directory you want to mount.

So, if you're trying to get Pool of Radiance to work, I suggest putting it in a directory of it's own (like POR).  So, if it's on the C: drive of your computer, you would have it here:

C:\POR\POOLRAD

Then, just type this in DOSBox:

mount c c:\POR

This will mount the directory C:\POR as your C: drive in DOSBox.  (So, the only thing available will be C:\POOLRAD in DOSBox).

Or, you can do what I do.  I created a specific directory for my old DOS games, called "olddrive."  Then, I edited the configuration file (called "dosbox.conf"), and added the following to the end of the file:

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.

mount c d:\olddrive
mount d "h:\" -t cdrom -ioctl
c:

In my example, each line does something:

mount c d:\olddrive
This line mounts "d:\olddrive" on my computer to drive C: in DOSBox.  All my games are stored in there under their own directories.  (So Pool of Radiance would be in the \POOLRAD directory in that directory).

mount d "h:\" -t cdrom -10ctl
This line mounts my CD-Rom drive (located at h:) as the default CD-Rom drive in DOSBox (which I believe will default to D:).  You can probably make this work by changing "h:\" to whatever drive letter your chosen CD-Rom drive actually is.

c:
This final line executes after the others and sends me to drive C: so I can access my programs. 

It is easier to do it this way, because once you have it all set up, all you have to do in the future is drop everything in your "Dos" directory (whatever you call it) and all the settings will be there everytime you start DOSBox.  Let's you just click the icon and go.

I have other DOSBox tips if you need them.  I hope this is clear enough to follow.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 03:55:30 PM »
Thanks a lot, Ben!  :)

It works great now! My mistake was to mount the directory POOLRAD as c:.

I will set up DOSbox as you described it, this should prevent problems like this in the future.

Now if I could just find a way around that damn code-wheel. :D
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 04:43:12 PM »
Code Wheel goodness:

http://www.geocities.com/soho/exhibit/2762/projects/poolwheel.htm

Heh heh heh... someone else loves this as much as you do, Ben! :)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 04:57:19 PM »
Another way around the code-wheel is to crack the game (which is what I do).  Even though I own the original gold-box games, I don't want to dig out code-wheels every time I want to play.  You can do a search on the internet and find cracks for POR pretty easily (I use the Neverlock Universal program, myself, which unlocks quite a few old DOS games).

Same with the manuals.  I have all manuals and clue-books (bought the clue-books to see how the maps were set up so that I could pick up tips for UA...solved all the games without them), but I downloaded them as PDF files so that I could just refer to them by using ALT-TAB instead of toting the books around.  Helps a lot when I'm bored and playing the games on my modern day laptop and I'm away from home.

If I can help with any other aspect of DOSBox or the gold-box games, just let me know.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 06:36:30 AM »
I need help with the currency. I remember that you could change gold to platinum in the shops, but somehow I can't find the option. The manual is silent on the issue.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Vix

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 08:24:39 AM »
It has been ages since I played a Gold Box game, but if they work anything like oNWN did you can simply buy something and it will convert all the lesser coinage to platinum (less the purchased item cost). So, you can buy something cheap like a hand axe and then sell it back or drop it, and your cash is upconverted.

I think. =D

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 08:56:19 AM »
Thanks, Vix. That worked.
Released designs:

The Sect

anything