Author Topic: The Fool Returns  (Read 864 times)

Offline HtPolsa

The Fool Returns
« on: February 17, 2009, 10:58:23 AM »
Quite a long time ago...

When DC was still a fairly young program, I was creating a fairly large design for it. For one specific reason I never got it properly finished, although I made a semi-official beta-release so people who were curious about it could play it and see what all the fuss was about when I was commenting on various technicalities on the DC mailing list. I never made a conscious decision to can it, but I never planned to continue working on it either.

I'd say -fortunately- very few apparently did play it, and the download link has disappeared from the collective memory of those who might remember. I haven't forgotten the design, I still listen to some of the music I made for it, it has some nice bits of that, and the storyline was quite good and varied.
But I hated the way it looked, the visual look was just a mishmash that looked bad at that time, now it looks plain horrible to me.

But recently there was some discussion on the UA forums which I didn't really follow, but something within it caught my attention; using another game as a source of unified art. Suddenly I got an inspiration. I used to dabble with a game called 'The Movies', and thought maybe it could be used as a source of art. Even short 'movie' scenes would be possible with it, as far as I remember, DC supports AVI movies.

So if my experiments prove succesful, I'll be going back to this old DC design of mine. I haven't really followed DC's development much lately, but I assume it should work with the current version, it didn't have much combat or any of that kind of technical stuff.

"The Fool's Triangle" was the name of the design.

Offline AmigaDave

Re: The Fool Returns
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 08:24:32 PM »
Sounds very interesting, please let us know more as you proceed with your new work on your old design.

Not being an artist, any designs I create in the future will most likely use art from other designs, or other sources.
Willing to work for a better FRUA community and MORE MODS!

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 10:22:35 PM »
Sounds great!  Love to hear more about the project (and see screeshots - I love those :D ).

As for art - sounds like a good plan!  Of course, if you need art there are a few DC-themed websites out there with lots of art that can be used (including Manikus's site, Dinonykos's site, and my own site :D ).
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://www.reonis.com/uatu/

Offline HtPolsa

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 04:51:43 AM »
Initial testing has been positive, so it seems all I need now is a bit of patience and time.

The Movies wasn't made for any serious drama, a lot of the character poses and expressions are quite over-the-top, but it actually fits in this design, as it is somewhat over-the-top in itself, at least considering my previous stuff. One of my design ideas was to get a feel of a James Bond movie, so it's not entirely serious and realistic (within the setting, of course, being sci-fi isn't always realistic in the first place).

Screenshots? Maybe, we shall see.

The last time I worked with this design was late 2001, my latest DC version is from 2006, so one might say I'm just a little bit past the 'best before' date. Lots to catch up again, though first I'm concentrating on the art, then I'll see if it needs any other enhancements.