Author Topic: New as of engine 2.65: Auto Approach for Combat  (Read 493 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
New as of engine 2.65: Auto Approach for Combat
« on: January 20, 2017, 03:40:44 PM »
Guess what Paul got working great....Auto Approach for Combat Events.

Download the latest versin of the engine - 265.
http://www.dianneandpaul.net/UAF/DungeonCraft_265.7z

To use, check "auto Approach" in the combat event, select a sprite for your image and select a frame rate of 30 or larger (this is in milliseconds, I was getting some nice results with 1200 to 1500).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 02:38:52 PM by manikus »

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
Re: Auto Approach for Combat
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 08:30:29 PM »
That is great news! Being able to select the approach rate in millis makes this another way in which DC is superior to FRUA.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline marainein

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 01:22:35 PM »

To use, check "auto Approach" in the combat event, select a sprite for your image and select a frame rate of 30 or larger (this is in milliseconds, I was getting some nice results with 1200 to 1500).
Good job! And it does work well.

But I still can't get the combination of sprite auto approach -> close up animated smallpic -> combat. That's what's in the original games I'm trying to emulate. So can I request that animated sprites be activated for text events, or for some other way of doing it?

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 01:44:43 PM »

But I still can't get the combination of sprite auto approach -> close up animated smallpic -> combat. That's what's in the original games I'm trying to emulate. So can I request that animated sprites be activated for text events, or for some other way of doing it?

:D Of course you can request those.  Our first goal is to fix bugs, so that is why we fixed the Combat event. This also had the nice secondary effect of matching up with what FRUA can do for those that will mport FRUA designs to DC.

We do entertain feature requests, we put them in line behind major bugs (like the current one of events firing twice). After the bug queue is emptied of major bugs, I will put this feature request at the top of our list.

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 02:41:20 PM »
kudos and praise to Paul for getting the auto-approach to work. Really like this feature.

ST the editor

PS -- edited to remove the addition of a feature request, listed below; as the fix can be done with reversing the graphics, so the feature request is not needed

(I have a request that would go along with this. Can we have the option to reverse this? as in, have an "auto-leave" or auto-run-away?

description (so as to clarify): the ability to set sprites to run backward so as to appear to be moving farther away in the 3D viewport.

Asking because this feature would work for modders to set up a "chase" scene

ST the chaser)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 03:04:15 PM by SilentThief »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Re: New as of engine 2.65: Auto Approach for Combat
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 04:39:50 PM »
This can be a feature request, but it's pretty low on the list. ;) especially since you can use a different sprite to show this - and I would think that you would want to, otherwise you are getting all Twin Peaks. :D It would only show the sprite backing away, not turning and running away.

Offline marainein

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 06:14:56 PM »

:D Of course you can request those.  Our first goal is to fix bugs, so that is why we fixed the Combat event. This also had the nice secondary effect of matching up with what FRUA can do for those that will mport FRUA designs to DC.

We do entertain feature requests, we put them in line behind major bugs (like the current one of events firing twice). After the bug queue is emptied of major bugs, I will put this feature request at the top of our list.
I understand - it isn't a show stopper anyway - I'm just trying to get the poolrad re-creation as close to the original as possible. I do have a suggestion though - auto approach is really more a graphics option, and might be better off in the the graphics/picture dialog area, rather than tied to a particular event.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 10:52:08 PM »

Have you tried using an Encounter event instead of a Combat event? You can have a button that says Approach and when you get Up Close, you can Talk instead of fighting. The Talk Chain can link to a Text event with an Animated Smallpic which then links to a Combat event. It's still missing the Auto Approach aspect, but if Auto Approach could be added to Encounter events, then I think you would have what you want.

I think that's how it was originally done in the Gold Box games: an Encounter event with a Sprite and Auto Approach, chained to a Combat event with an Animated Smallpic.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 01:00:30 PM »
I will discuss adding Auto Approach  to Text Statement and ENcounter with Paul.

There is a relatively easy work-around for this aailable right now. :)
Use an animated smallpic. Take a screenshot of the approach where the creature will be coming and use that as a background for each of the three sprite frames and play as a 3 frame animation. I do realize there is a significant drawback to this approach as it may not look very well if used for Random Encounters.

Offline marainein

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 04:11:49 PM »

Have you tried using an Encounter event instead of a Combat event? You can have a button that says Approach and when you get Up Close, you can Talk instead of fighting. The Talk Chain can link to a Text event with an Animated Smallpic which then links to a Combat event. It's still missing the Auto Approach aspect, but if Auto Approach could be added to Encounter events, then I think you would have what you want.
Hey Nol - yeah, that was one of my first thoughts too - but as you mentioned, it doesn't do auto approach - the player has to press return 3 times in a row. So I think I'll just leave the sprite problem for now and work on other parts.

I think that's how it was originally done in the Gold Box games: an Encounter event with a Sprite and Auto Approach, chained to a Combat event with an Animated Smallpic.
From looking at the ECL code - yep.

Code: [Select]
0x9E22 0x0C SETUP MONSTER sprite_id: 4 max_distance: 1 pic_id: 4
0x9E29 0x0D APPROACH
0x9E2A 0x12 PRINTCLEAR 'SEVERAL ORCS ARE ARGUING OVER SOME PAPERS.'
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 04:44:32 PM by marainein »

Offline marainein

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 04:51:57 PM »
kudos and praise to Paul for getting the auto-approach to work. Really like this feature.

ST the editor

PS -- edited to remove the addition of a feature request, listed below; as the fix can be done with reversing the graphics, so the feature request is not needed

(I have a request that would go along with this. Can we have the option to reverse this? as in, have an "auto-leave" or auto-run-away?

description (so as to clarify): the ability to set sprites to run backward so as to appear to be moving farther away in the 3D viewport.

Asking because this feature would work for modders to set up a "chase" scene

ST the chaser)

Or, since we're engaged in speculation, what do you guys think of persistent sprites, to give monsters/NPCs a presence in the 3d world, like in Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder? As Manikus pointed out, then you'd need sprite images for facing away from you, and sideways, so you'd at least triple the number of sprite images needed per monster.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 07:35:32 PM »
Or, since we're engaged in speculation, what do you guys think of persistent sprites, to give monsters/NPCs a presence in the 3d world, like in Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder? As Manikus pointed out, then you'd need sprite images for facing away from you, and sideways, so you'd at least triple the number of sprite images needed per monster.

I think you are talking about trying to put 3D models in a 2D world. You can simulate a lot of things in DC, but the number of events will get out of control. We would need to have far, near, and up-close sprite images for each of the four directions from which the monster could be seen. Twelve events per monster (assuming that there is only one monster in an encounter), plus a thirteenth event with a portrait for when you engage in battle or diplomacy. Your screen images above say, "Several Orcs are arguing over some papers" when there is clearly only Orc present in the room.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be a cool effect, though.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 07:39:17 PM »
actually you would probably want to do something like Dinonykos' NPC walls. Stilll all the same art work (maybe more), but no events needed unless you want conditions to cause the wall to change.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 07:51:17 PM »
unless you want conditions to cause the wall to change.

...like you don't want the Orc to still be standing there after you killed it.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2017, 03:37:49 AM »
Since you can change walls easily, you can do a lot of things with them. In "Snow Tigress", I made NPC walls for most of the characters and made them switch rooms in accordance with daytime. You can also do funny tricks with them like NPCs turning your head to you when you approach, or make NPCs change positions while you walk around (which I did in "Fiend's Ritual"). You could, for example, also use NPC walls to make the party sneak behind a moving NPC or follow a guide.

In DC0.914, I you needed a lot of Logic Block events to achieve moving NPCs, which can slow the game down if you use it in programs like d3dwindower (which unfortunately you need to run DC0.914 games in Win 8 or 10). In DC2.x, it is much easier since you can change numerous walls with just one script.

Another problem is how to trigger the wall changes. In the framework of an event chain, it is no problem, but if you want to achieve time-based changes, you will have to use step events to do so, or place trigger events on a number of squares. The advantage of the latter is that they will also be triggered if the user presses the "Look" button. Manikus once made a nice demo for light (http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=2865.msg39803#msg39803) where we discussed this aspect a little. It becomes even more complicated when you allow the player to rest next to a changing wall, but this can certainly be avoided.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

anything