Author Topic: Hide & Seek - Mini Games in Dungeon Craft Demo  (Read 2458 times)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
Hide & Seek - Mini Games in Dungeon Craft Demo
« on: June 29, 2016, 04:04:10 AM »
Now that "The Case of the Stolen Masterpiece" is close to be completed, I think about my next small DC project "Hide & Seek". This design shall contain numerous mini games and activities:
a) Games that work virtually the same way as the original games:
  • Rock Stone Scissor: works very well... in some cases the face of the opponent might give hints what he will chose. :)
  • Mia (or "Meiern", with some parallels to Liar's Dice): I have so far only theoretically worked this out in DC, but I think it is doable...
  • Multiple choice quiz

b) Games that are too complex (too many varieties possible) to be originary emulated in DC with appropriate effort, but will be incorporated in another way:
  • Tic Tac Toe: works quite well, but I had to reduce the variation a little bit.
  • Stratego/Dou Shou Qi: I have developed a kind of mix between these games. The player can watch two NPCs playing the game, and can then give hints to one of the player at certain times.
  • Skat: Not so sure if I will include this one, if so, the approach would be helping an NPC playing the right card in a certain phase of the game.

c) Games/activities that cannot be emulated, but only symbolically incorporated:
  • Hide and Seek: Will be incorporated with pictures where an NPC must be found. (I will also incorporate a "real" hide and seek game that way that the party must find an NPC.)
  • Painting: Will work like a mix-and-match book.
  • Penalty-shootout: The player will be allowed to chose where to shoot and if the PC shall try deking. Vice versa, as goalkeeper, the player may deduce from the way the shooter looks where to jump...
I have some more ideas, but will keep some surprises.
Paul has already suggested to do a "Master Mind"-like game, I think this is also a good idea.

This design will not be very interactive outside the mini games, but I hope it will be interesting anyway. I am not completely sure about the background story - it depends a little bit on the reception of the other designs I completed this year.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Re: Hide & Seek - Mini Games in Dungeon Craft Demo
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 01:37:53 PM »
That is a pretty impressive list. :D

I assume by "Rock - Stone - Scissors" you mean "Rock - Paper - Scissors"?

I have thought of three gambling games for use at some point (other than dicing which you are taking a stab at). Three-card Mondte, Slot Machine and Highball (or Lowball). These are pretty straight-forward and have few enough moving parts that I think they can be done without driving the designer completely crazy.

I look forward to this one as much as a designer as a player. I think that you are going to show all of us some things that DC can do that no one else has thought of.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 05:31:06 AM »
I assume by "Rock - Stone - Scissors" you mean "Rock - Paper - Scissors"?
Yes, I think sometimes the "Stone" slips into my mind because we call it "Schere - Stein - Papier" in Germany.

I look forward to this one as much as a designer as a player. I think that you are going to show all of us some things that DC can do that no one else has thought of.
Though, as always, I may not use the most effective ways to accomplish things... :)

Concerning "effective ways", I have seen that in DC 2.x, you can change walls via GPDL script (I think this did not work in 0.914). That's really great, since I guess this would also allow to change numerous walls within the same logic block event. If I had used that option in Snow Tigress, I could have condensed ca. 20 000 events into 1000... :D
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 01:25:30 PM »
If your way is teh only way, it is the most effective way. :D :D :D

You can change wall/overlay/door, backdrops and blockage via sctipts (whether in Logic Block events or not).  I think this may make the current wall and backdrop limits per level something that needs to be upped again.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 10:20:29 AM »
I also recognized, though, that the way of changing walls via the logic block event without using scripts seems not to work properly when importing old designs or levels from old designs into DC 2.x. I will check that again sooner or later.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 01:07:45 PM »
I also recognized, though, that the way of changing walls via the logic block event without using scripts seems not to work properly when importing old designs or levels from old designs into DC 2.x. I will check that again sooner or later.

You are right - the old  way of changing walls does not work - Paul took it out of being a special Logic Block funtion and made general functions which allow us to do waaaaaay more. :D Not that having more functionality means any less owrk on your part when updating to the new engine/editor. Sorry about that.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 03:04:53 PM »
Well, it probably means that I won't transfer "Snow Tigress" to DC 2.0 since it uses the old option very often. But I don't think that is much of a problem. I like the new way of handling it very much!

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 03:26:35 PM »
Again, sorry about that. Perhaps you could see if exporting the levels to a text file provides something you can work with?

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 04:21:50 PM »
Compatibility with old designs has alway been
one of my goals.

We should be able to automate the update
if anyone is really anxious to get it done.  I would
need help finding test data and with testing the
result.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 07:02:03 PM »
Perhaps DInonykos will be willing to do this...

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 03:04:51 AM »
I assume the way to go would be a mini-mod made with 0.914 using the "old change wall way" and posting it/sending it to Paul with a detailled description of the problem?

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 10:29:54 AM »
Yes...quite right.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2016, 02:55:31 AM »
I will be "in the field" for some time, so I will probably not work much with my computer during the coming weeks. But I am doing drawings for this design.

I hope I get the mini-mod done during the weekend.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2016, 04:16:39 AM »
The intro comic to this design will be a four page dream sequence, my idea is that the sequence tells the background story in fragments and that the player can learn more about the story while playing the design. The first page is depicted below. After I have completed the comic, I will continue with the design.

I have also not forgotten about the "wall changing compability problem" we discussed above and also do the related minimods soon.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 04:20:43 AM »
I probably asked this already, but is there a function to automatically equip a found item? Or create NPCs which already equipped items? This might be also interesting for Hero Craft...

anything