Author Topic: REVIEW: Ravenloft: Necessary Evil (by Don Boyd)  (Read 757 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
REVIEW: Ravenloft: Necessary Evil (by Don Boyd)
« on: January 21, 2009, 07:25:40 PM »
Ravenloft: Necessary Evil
by DBoyd11074

Reviewed by: Narsham

This mod was DBoyd's entry for the Halloween contest (yes, this is my fellow reviewer). It has undergone some changes since it was submitted. The adventure casts the player in the role of Vahnos the Lich, who has just been swallowed up by some mists which, to those who know Ravenloft well, are all too familiar...

In my opinion, this is one of the best Ravenloft mods available at this time. It ranks up there with Hunted and Strahd's Need. Most of the Ravenloft mods do not possess the appropriate Ravenloft atmosphere, but this is one of the few that does.

Since I did some of the final playtesting for this mod, most of the problems that I was able to identify have been eliminated. What remains is a well-plotted adventure, which features some terrific art and a lot of character.

I've found a single error lurking around: In the graveyard, it is possible to enter a chamber where you are supposed to find treasure (after defeating the current lord of the graveyard), and the message informing you of the discovery of treasure will happen before you defeat that lord. Also, I didn't end up receiving the treasure after that event...

There's a second odd problem I've had with this mod. When I was initially testing it, I had occasion to pause and scribble down notes of various kinds. While I was doing so, the added music played on to its end, and then caused the program to crash. While I have not experienced this problem in the revised version, I have observed another strange music error. After playing the main theme a few times, the game suddenly plays all of the music in the wrong key. It's as if all of the notes have been shifted. I have no idea why this is happening, and it may have more to do with my system than with anything else...

My only regret is the shortness of this mod. Its length was restricted by the Halloween contest rules, but there's still a lot of room to play with here, and these characters are compelling enough that they deserve a bigger adventure around them. Regardless, there's still a lot here to play around with.

It's difficult to comment much further on this mod without ruining some of the surprises that are included. Suffice it to say that my fellow reviewer has created a very good module, indeed. I highly recommend Necessary Evil, and I look forward to the next appearance of Vahnos the Lich.

Plot Matter:   8
Artwork:       9
Hacks:         7
Text:          9
Events:        9
Originality:   8
Errors:        10

Difficulty:  6

Total Rating:  86%
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 07:20:35 PM by Olivier Leroux »

More Information Here: