Author Topic: Step Events  (Read 599 times)

Offline bravedogbfg

Step Events
« on: November 26, 2014, 08:58:03 AM »
I am having trouble figuring out how to use this property.

In CotAB, in the first town, Tilverton, the party is given a messages when they are walking through the town.  They don't repeat, and happen every 5 or 6 steps.

How can I replicate this with step events?

Thanks!

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
Re: Step Events
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 09:26:11 AM »
Just to make sure, I understood this the following way:

Party enters town:
5 steps made
Message like: "You have entered Tilverton..."
5 steps made
New Message like: "Tilverton is overcrowded..."
5 steps made
Next Message e.g.: "You hear the temple bells..."

To achieve this, first define a zone for the streets of the city via the editor in "zone mode" - by default, all squares are zone 1.

Use the menu "Level: Step events..." to make Step event 1 happen every 5 steps in zone 1.

Use the menu "Level: Event Editor..." and follow the event tree to "Step Events: Step event 1".

Add an event "Text statement" to "Step event 1" with the first message. Activate "Once only". Set Chain Trigger to "If Event does not happen".

Add a subsequent event "Text statement" to "Step event 1" with the second message. Again, activate "Once only". Set Chain Trigger to "If Event does not happen".

Repeat this for all message you want to display.

You can just copy and paste the first text statement and change the text afterwards.

This works perfectly in 0.914, but I am sure it should be the same approach in 1.0 and newer DC versions.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline bravedogbfg

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 09:59:00 AM »
I followed these instructions.  The event fires after the appropriate number of steps, but each time it does, it displays 2 of the messages, then stops.  After steps, it goes to the next 2.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 02:15:13 PM »
Really? Hmm... I promise it worked for me as desired. I have not yet switched to DC 1.0, though, maybe something changed? But I don't think so... I have attached a screenshot of the event chain I used. This fires text statement 1 after 5 steps, 2 after 10, and 3 after 15...
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 07:21:41 PM »
That sounds like it should work. Are you sure you have "event doesn't happen" ticked as the chain trigger for all these events?

Offline bravedogbfg

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 09:22:15 PM »
Yeah, they all look just like that.  It is weird, but I will give it fresh eyes after the holiday.

anything