Author Topic: Module Idea  (Read 5770 times)

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
Re: Module Idea
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 09:31:24 PM »
Exactly. Between the journal and the game itself, Tyranthraxus sent embassies to Norris the Gray, the thieves of Kovel Mansion, Yarash, the nomads, the kobolds, and the lizardmen, so diplomacy might be a big part.

As for the good guys, well, you'll see if you still think they're good guys when they're killing your neighbors and looting their stuff... ;)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 09:33:36 PM »
While the strongest contingent of adversaries in POR were allied with "The Boss" Tyranthraxus, there were quite a few other foes of the Heroes of Phlan with other agendas (Yarash, for example).  Moreover, many alliances with Tyranthraxus were uneasy, and double-crosses (as with Councilman Cadorna) wouldn't seem too unusual (especially if Tyranthraxus could be kept in the dark).  Also, many monsters would be uncontrollable.  In fact, the Ettins in his service had to be "charmed or controlled." 

So, besides good guys, a party as you describe would likely have to fight other bad guys and monsters from time to time.

An example that stands out to me is Norris the Gray, who was writing a nasty response to "The Boss," explaining how he wasn't going to fall in line with him...but he never got to send it because a party of heroes ended his life.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 05:01:09 AM »
I like the idea of playing monsters, i wish i could make module where heroes and monsters are playable, meaning both sides depending on their actions they could choose sides. Something like in MECCG (Middle Earth), where there were Heroes, then minions (like spies in free lands), then Sauron forces, Then fallen wizards. I tried to do this in DC with counting of reputation but didn't know hot to do it. I hope i will play POR in the future.

Offline Null Null

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 07:23:36 AM »

An example that stands out to me is Norris the Gray, who was writing a nasty response to "The Boss," explaining how he wasn't going to fall in line with him...but he never got to send it because a party of heroes ended his life.

Right. Same with Yarash, although I think Yarash was on better grounds to tell Tyranthraxus to go kiss a medusa. (He has one in his castle!) It would have been very hard to march an army of hill giants and those 6th-level fighters in charge of them through the wilderness and into the pyramid, then through all the teleporters, all with Yarash's lizardmen having the defensive advantage. Norris, on the other hand, is on the bottom floor of a well and has a few kobolds guarding him, not to mention the Boss's minions in Podol Plaza and the Slums basically have him surrounded. (Yeah, I spent WAY too much time replaying Pool of Radiance in my younger years.)

I like the idea of playing monsters, i wish i could make module where heroes and monsters are playable, meaning both sides depending on their actions they could choose sides. Something like in MECCG (Middle Earth), where there were Heroes, then minions (like spies in free lands), then Sauron forces, Then fallen wizards. I tried to do this in DC with counting of reputation but didn't know hot to do it. I hope i will play POR in the future.

Quite doable. Remember, in DC you don't have limits on number of dungeons, so you can easily have versions of the same area for each side. I'm not familiar with DC (maybe I should be?) but you could have both sides approach the characters early on in the game, then increment reputation variables depending on who the character makes happy. Finally one side attacks you on sight--or, you can try to make peace between them if you want to make diplomacy an option.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2014, 08:35:38 AM »
Hm yes that was the idea, to offer some missions that would give also reputation points and depending on what player do to qualify for either evil or bad side or few in between. I started but  it seems a bit complicated to make those functions work :) but i should try again. 

Offline hans

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 10:14:37 PM »
Of course, I've started a couple of serials, myself, that I have no plans to finish, and will likely start more... :P

Nooo, I'm still waiting for the conclusion of those.

Please, forgive the mini-momentary-hijacking of this thread... but so Ben J won't think I'm ignoring him, or that I am not much complimented by his interest: 
 :toothy5:
It's not unlikely that I might do another entry or two in those serials, but I envisioned both the Major Mystery and The Untimers storylines as multi-part epics, and considering the time it takes me to do just one mod, plus my penchant for hopping from one unfinished project to another, I doubt I will live long enough to see them concluded.   
 :clock:  :dontknow:

Offline Null Null

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 09:31:47 AM »
If it makes you feel better: I have at least three possible mods to expand on the main character of Library of Segrob, one at 1st level, one at 12th level researching the spell that bears her name, and one at 40th level where the aim will be ascension. I doubt there will be time for any of them.

and that's leaving aside the other character in Vanilla Dungeon; the paladin, for example, has promise as star of a game where the action revolves around recruiting NPCs...

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 10:15:57 AM »
It is true time is short :) lets get what we can :hiding:

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 02:21:36 PM »
It's not unlikely that I might do another entry or two in those serials, but I envisioned both the Major Mystery and The Untimers storylines as multi-part epics, and considering the time it takes me to do just one mod, plus my penchant for hopping from one unfinished project to another, I doubt I will live long enough to see them concluded.   
 :clock:  :dontknow:

Well, not having enough time is quite different from having "no plans to finish" the modules. ;)

Maybe you could just add another part to each series that concludes the open questions, while also making clear that the series will continue indefinitely (like Batman, Superman, Spiderman, etc.).

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 02:24:00 PM by Ben J »
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline vaustein

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2014, 01:01:37 AM »
Null Null, did you ever decide whether to start working on this module?

Offline Null Null

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2014, 12:30:05 PM »
Somebody asked. Yes, I've gotten a few dungeons done, but have had to put it on hold because I can't figure out how to edit items under Windows 7. This whole thing is really messing me up.

I've actually got a simpler mod idea I may work on first.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 09:47:02 AM by Null Null »

Offline Null Null

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2014, 07:25:00 AM »
All right, gonna try this again, without editing items. After all, if it isn't in Ray's Pool, it isn't there in the real one, right?

My thing was I wanted to make a 'witchdoctor' class out of the Ranger class to simulate the 1st ed AD&D rules about reaching 4th level as witchdoctors and 7th level for shamans; if I make a cleric/mage class they can reach 7th level as clerics. But, better a little inaccuracy than no game.

Now here's the question for y'all about level limits and races.

Ideally, at least some races should be able to reach 7th level as fighters (to get two attacks per round), 7th level as clerics (to be able to do some things you couldn't in the original game and make it more fun), and 4th level as mages (because humanoids are too stupid for fireballs).

However, it looks like while you can reassign level limit schemes to different races using RC_EDIT, only the Half-Elf level limits have provisions for 3 sets of level limits. So I couldn't, say, give goblins and hobgoblins the ability to get to level 7 as clerics while kobolds and orcs only get to level 5, whereas only hobgoblins and orcs can get to level 7 as fighters.

Also, is there any way to apply a level limit to the 'human' race? I really feel having 12th level gnoll cleric/mages wandering around spoils the mood. ;)

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2014, 11:53:58 AM »
Also, is there any way to apply a level limit to the 'human' race? I really feel having 12th level gnoll cleric/mages wandering around spoils the mood. ;)

There is a General Level Limit that applies across the board to all characters. The default is level 40, but you could easily change it to level 11 by adding the following line to your DIFF.TBL:
40321 40 11
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

anything