Poll

What should we do with the City Project?

Close project due to lack of interest
0 (0%)
Advertise it and continue from where it's at
0 (0%)
Adverrtise and continue, but release claimed areas
3 (100%)
Reboot, work same as before
0 (0%)
Reboot, someone else creates maps for you
0 (0%)
Reboot, something other than above
0 (0%)
Something else
0 (0%)
Seriously don't care
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: The City Collaborative project  (Read 1629 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
The City Collaborative project
« on: December 31, 2013, 12:05:32 PM »
The City Project is an attempt at DC's first collaborative design.
The concept:
The city of Erraxy is a metropolitan area in teh Forgotten Realms, laying along the West Coast a hundred miles or so South of Waterdeep.
each person gets a section of the city to do with as they please (within certain very broad limits that are almost completely technical in nature and handled by manikus)

Here's what the map looks like right now - all fo the filled in zones are by me (manikus), but I am happy to give them up - either to be completely reworked or to use the maps I have created and filled how the designer sees fit.
http://manikus.reonis.com/TheCity/index.html

To begin with, we are using the default DC databases, but these can be added to (but I'm not going to take anything away).

Thoughts?

Offline Milos Gulan

Re: The City Collaborative project
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 12:53:22 PM »
Very interesting, thanks for introducing this to us newbies.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 04:35:28 PM »
Well, I guess I have my answer...not really any interest here at this time. So....the City project is going on permanent hold and I will continue on elsewhere in DCdom.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 08:29:39 AM »
I have voted and still am interested, but (I think we discussed that some time ago), it would perhaps be reasonable to start with smaller joined projects, don't you think? If two or three designers worked together one design, we would probably see what problems can occur and how they can be avoided in a huge project like "The City".
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 01:07:24 PM »
I am interested too, though i wish we could do it really big like maybe Greyhawk or Waterdeep :) or something... But yeah i agree smaller for now. If i could learn to make good modules trough coop i would really like that too :). Meaning i would like to make examples of events and what are they used for, then after them to make small events tutorials and maybe export them as small maps for later use. For example simple combat (probably with some variations), then combat with some quest stages ect...

So we could make mod and in it lots of mini stages with separatly focused events that later can be exported and turned into small focused tutorials and also used anywhere needed :D. I think i really need this, events and how they can be used in game.

Hmm how can i join this project btw.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 04:39:16 PM »
yeah, I"m not abandoning the notion of joint efforts. ;) I'm not even abandoning this concept - I'll just try again later, handling it differently. I think I will take the four levels I've done, and expand into the other regions to make a gigantic city. :) Not a design - just a map, but with some shops, temples, etc. Then, I'll release for tohers to use as a base if they want, or maybe I will use it as a base for a design. :)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 05:22:22 PM »
Not to be a downer,  but past experience with UA has often shown that collaborative modules almost never get finished.  And when I say "almost never," I really mean "never."  Maybe you'll have better luck here, but I wouldn't count on it.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 05:27:01 PM »
Oh yeah. I knew that going in. :) I've been involved with several in DC...and how many have been released? :D Even the one that Dinonykos and I were going to do has gone nowhere. But, when 1.0 is out, then I will be able to devote more time to projects.

That's also why I think I'll just finish up what I want and the release it as a base for others to use (or not).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 05:37:24 PM by manikus »

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 09:21:38 PM »
Like I said, I'm not trying to be a downer.  I'd love to see a huge project like that completed (which means I would get to play it!).  But so far, we seem to be like zero out of ten in the UA community.  Maybe you guys will pull it off here in the DC community, though.  Good luck.

I just wanted to let you know what my experience has been.  Maybe it can help you figure out why it didn't work.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 09:23:39 PM by ProphetSword »
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 03:17:05 AM »
I am defintely looking up to see something released and i hope that it can for me be useful. For now i am trying to finish my small module, but after that i will probably start something like this. Probably will try doing that tutorial event module which could be also part of this Collaborative project. Lots of good rules here for city adventuring so they will definitely be useful. And why collaborative project aren't more successful, probably becuase there is more work, and lots of things depends on others, but maybe things can work out if they are kept simple. I can't say more without trying but for now i have problems doing my own small part of adventure :) i hope i will be able to solve them sooner the better.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 03:22:35 AM by Rainbower »

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 03:21:18 PM »
Oh yeah. I knew that going in. :) I've been involved with several in DC...and how many have been released? :D Even the one that Dinonykos and I were going to do has gone nowhere. But, when 1.0 is out, then I will be able to devote more time to projects.

I think that is the main point why we have not finished a joined project. I am still optimistic... But, considering also PS's comment, we should perhaps start with something very small once 1.0 is out.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

anything