Author Topic: Bias in hit point rolls for level up  (Read 488 times)

Offline clinton

Bias in hit point rolls for level up
« on: December 27, 2013, 07:21:35 PM »
I've been noticing the hit point rolls upon training seemed to be biased towards the higher end. Is the roll simply one of the appropriate die (i.e. D10 for fighter, D6 for thieves, etc)? Or is it "roll twice and pick the best" or something?

Perhaps I'm looking at a limited sample and there's no actual bias there.

Also these are constitution 14 characters so there shouldn't be a bonus affecting things yes?

Like for fighters I never get a roll of 11, I just seem to get more 10s then 1s.

Edit:

I've just did 100 samples of a Cleric level up before I got really bored. Here are the results (HP increase: no of occurrences)

8: 13
7: 30
6: 8
5: 17
4: 18
3: 9
2: 4
1: 2

There's obviously a bias towards higher results, but what that exactly is I'm not sure.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 09:35:31 PM by clinton »

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: Bias in hit point rolls for level up
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 07:42:38 PM »
My thought is that the Gold-Box games fudged both the attributes and the hit points for the party because the games are very combat heavy.  Whereas a good DM would know how to scale back to give the party a fighting change, a programmed encounter is unforgiving.  Giving the players a slight nudge in power can help the balance when fighting a lot of back-to-back or tough fights.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 08:04:23 PM »
My impression after having played dozens of FRUA modules the past year:
Hit point rolls seem to the only dice rolls where you get better than average rolls.
With curing spells you on average get low rolls.
Zombies surprisingly often do 8 points of damage.

I wish the dice rolls actually showed, like they do in the Infinity Engine games...
And I wish the source code for FRUA would be released, so that my suspicions could be confirmed or refuted.

Offline KTG

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 09:41:23 PM »
I've played many FRUA modules and I am convinced that HPs tend to be better than average - for all classes.  So much so that I've wondered if it isn't something like 2 rolls, take the better one.  I don't know how its done, but it can't be just a straight random number.