Author Topic: Cleric not gaining correct spells  (Read 519 times)

Offline clinton

Cleric not gaining correct spells
« on: December 22, 2013, 06:50:17 AM »
I've got a level 3 cleric, playing the "Alliance" mod (AT1) but for some reason my cleric isn't gaining spells. Despite it being level three it can't cast 2nd level spells.

I've attached the savegame.

Offline Ray

Re: Cleric not gaining correct spells
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 08:33:54 AM »

I'm pretty sure that's by design.  If I remember correctly, the storyline deals with the reasons that Clerics are not getting spells the way they normally would.

I don't want to spoil it, in case the beginning is more of a mystery than I recall (it's been a LOT of years since I played it).  But I'm pretty sure that you might know what I'm talking about if you've got a third-level cleric in that game.  It's just the rules making the story function, as opposed to all those events happening and your party wandering blithely through as if it's just another adventure...

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 09:27:12 AM »
There are many clues in the module about why Clerics aren't receiving their abilities (many of them are lamenting in the streets over it).  It was definitely by design, and it is in accordance with AD&D rules (I won't say why, but trust me...it is exactly as it should be given the story).  Expect clerics to progress in spell level much slower and to top out at about 3rd or 4th level spells.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline clinton

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 08:32:55 PM »
Without ruining the story, could you just explain the gameplay mechanic that's at play there (as apparently it's by AD&D rules).

There's lots of people screaming on the street, but perhaps I should be paying more attention to what they're screaming about. :o

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 08:06:55 AM »
I can't find the exact ruling this morning, but I can assure it exists.  Before going into the details that spoil the game, I should also mention that the text file that was included with the module tries to warn players that this will happen.  Here is what it says:

"In this module, the use of clerical spells is limited, due to extreme circumstances caused by events that will be apparent in the game.  As a result, clerics may use spells as normal at first level, but advancement beyond that is very slow.  This is not a bug, but something planned to fit with the storyline."

As to the why, it boils down to this:
The further separated a cleric becomes from the home plane of their deity, the less spells that they are granted.  Alternate planes, in fact, can have an adverse outcome on how spells are gained.  In some cases, clerics may not have access to spells at all, may only be able to access low level spells regardless of level, or may have slow advancement in gaining spell abilities.

So, that part should clue you in to some aspect of what has happened.  I'll leave it at that.  As previously stated, what happens in the module is in accordance with rules that were available in AD&D and the Forgotten Realms at the time the module was made (I made sure of that).
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/