Author Topic: Smaller pictures for higher resolutions DC?  (Read 842 times)

Offline Milos Gulan

Smaller pictures for higher resolutions DC?
« on: December 22, 2013, 04:36:53 AM »
Can smaller pictures still be used with DC in higher resolutions? For example most of the time i have smaller pics and for higher res DC then they need to be resized and sometimes i don't need them really to be that big. So i was thinking is there a way to use smaller pics in higher resolution designs like in small picture slot to put them and that they can be automaticaly centred and given some one color background like maybe black or white or something like that. For now DC put the smaller picture in the upper left corner and rest of the 3d view is still visible. I think it would be cool if at least there was an option to put some background there.

Anyway is there some good way to use smaller pics without resizing them?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 04:38:27 AM by Rainbower »

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: Smaller pictures for higher resolutions DC?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 06:17:58 AM »
Easiest way is just to create a larger picture with the background colour that you want, and stick the small pic in the middle using an art program like Photoshop. In fact, you can make the background around the image more interesting than just a plain colour. "The ?" produced a number of screenshots using small images, which in my opinion look great!

See the posts on this page: http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=1607.msg20694#msg20694.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 08:52:29 AM »
Thanks for the answer, it is very helpful. I used similiar method but only one colour background. This pics looks much better and probably solves the problem. Though i was thinking somehow to skip resizing :) but i guess it might be hard to do it. Hm would it be possible to have background pics of small pictures and then add another on top of it, i dont mind them being in upper right corner. For example to choose first background picture then another real one on top of it, something like walls and doors can be done.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 01:28:38 PM »
Actually, you don't even need to resize anything. Go ahead and try it. If you stick an image from 640 res into the 1024 res, it will work. It won't be centered in the viewport, but you don't need to do anything to it.

An observation that I think applies to a lot of these types of questions - try it out first, ask questions second. In the time it took you to write the post and your first response, you could have tried it out and started writing a tutorial on how to do it. ;) (This is not just Rainblower, but for lots of people asking questions about graphics, combat, scripting, etc.)

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 01:58:40 PM »
Yes it works but problem is with background for example viewport of the steet is still visible (3d view in DC), i need another picture for background to fully cover the viewport then just to show another pic on it without resizing. That is what i am asking if it is possible to do. So it would need to have like in walls option for wall and for doors, but first for background picture (which should be full pic) and then second then for another smaller picture.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 02:24:16 PM »
Yes it works but problem is with background for example viewport of the steet is still visible (3d view in DC), i need another picture for background to fully cover the viewport then just to show another pic on it without resizing. That is what i am asking if it is possible to do. So it would need to have like in walls option for wall and for doors, but first for background picture (which should be full pic) and then second then for another smaller picture.

The easy answer is to a) resize it or b) stick it on an all-black image of the right size. You obviously know this is how to do it since you've mentioned both of these. If there is an easy way to do it, why ask for a difficult way?

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 02:29:12 PM »
Ok :) it is workable.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 02:53:19 PM »
Ok :) it is workable.

the easist way is almost always the best way. :)

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 02:56:06 PM »
Sure :) works for me ;)