Author Topic: NEW DESIGN: Small Module 01 - Forest  (Read 4595 times)

Offline Milos Gulan

NEW DESIGN: Small Module 01 - Forest
« on: November 19, 2013, 04:52:18 PM »
Download link is - Here -

My another try to work with DC. This time there is a only wilderness map of a forest, but for the next time i will convert it to dungeon style too. It was a test of map style work and i guess it is ok, though i am not really happy with a final result as it could be better. Still there is a small forest to explore in latest DC.

I started this mod hoping to make it for one character only and one NPC, but because spell casters are not so good for solo playing, i changed it to 4 PC party game. There are 4 pregens to start with if you want quick start.

One more thing expect unexpected and don't expect too much from this, as it is only a test and try to learn mod that i hope will be continued.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
Re: NEW DESIGN: Small Module 01 - Forest
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 05:23:39 PM »
I have given it a try, and it looks promising. However, what repells me is the mix of so many different artwork styles. I am aware that it is still difficult to find consistent art for DC. But since you can do nice 3d characters as you have shown in other threads, I wondered if you could not use similar looks for your map...
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 03:43:00 AM »
Yes that would be better, i will try it. For now i just wanted to make something to play with DC. Before i wanted to include only my art but it proved more difficult task. Now i have returned to default DC art and probably will do more art in the future or at least try to do it. If not i will probably just use some random art that looks good. For this module i actualy didn't have time to look for more art so i will probably do it later. 

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 05:30:53 AM »
I have started to work on 3d version of this. I hope i will have something to show soon, though not sure when really. Done just basic outlines for now. Need to add textures and events.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 10:57:14 AM »
Well i had a mishap :) and deleted what i have done till now so i will have to do it again. This means i did in 3d complete level with encounters and today started working on textures. But on the good side textures finaly turned good so i am just happy that i will be able to continue my work. I hope it will not take long.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 04:30:52 PM »
And i rebuilt it again. Another good news is that i started working with 1024*768 resolution and it looks great so much better then 640*480.  I hope i will continue to work with it though probably will have to resize those smaller portraits or make some new. I hope i will get to 800*600 soon and those square resolutions too which i still need to set up.

Anyway i think i will be finaly able to get into some finer details of design making. I have learned more and still lots is waiting to be learned, but i hope it will be interesting. For adventures i was thinking today about Ruins of Greyhawk (castle) but i am not sure though maybe later when i get really good with DC. I was also thinking about older adventures my group played but i am not sure for those too as i lately just enjoy playing and making something new, though i can't say i am really inspired but :) maybe it will be better. Still my wish is to make all adventures i ever GM-ed or played :) that would be nice collection of RP-ing memories and i might start working on it when i set up my DC as i plan to :D.

So for now i need to work a bit more with textures and make something interesting to show.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 01:23:06 PM »
Ok here are some screenshots :) hope they will get better. Res 640/800/1024

Edit:
I probably should post this into beta testing findings but i will do it here just for info: 1

1. Right border is missing that is in all res.

2. In 800 i can't load walls, they are just not showing up on screen though backdrops do. i am not sure why is this, border viewport is not transparent.

3. Editor changed colours of walls (in 3d design mode, those small signs for walls) after changing screen game resolution (example red to blue). First it happened before few days but it got back. Now it happened again while i tried to set up 800 res walls and game after.

(4.) That 1024 screenshot is missing bottom but that is ok on my computer just screencapture is croping taskbar for some reason.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 01:39:04 PM by Rainbower »

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 01:35:04 PM »
I messed up pic names a bit so first is 1024, then 640 then 800.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 04:04:45 PM »
I will continue to work on this now that i have set up higher square resolutions. I guess i will have some problems with resizing pics for wider viewpoint but i am sure results will be much nicer. I might post screenshots as soon as i have something done.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 05:40:31 PM »
Here is my latest try with this http://d-h.st/Itb

New is that i have redisigned forest and now it works in 1024 square resolution. This is just a demo and everything works though most of the pics need resizing. But it really looks amazing and i am really amazed with the look, though it need a lot of work now, only thing that files are a bit bigger so it means they will be heavy for download. 

Anyway for those interested there is a pregen party, if you load game A they are fully equiped so you can just explore shops. Nothing much to happen just moving around and few encounters for now :)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 06:00:34 PM »
The 3d-view graphics work well. It is cool to have such a high resolution.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 02:02:43 AM »
I think so too. Though artisticaly now it brings new challenges. I am still missing all DC default pictures for all resolutions. Will have to wait for someone to officialy do it for DC, or to resize this i have or to make my own custom ones. For portraits i will have to make new ones probably or just use some custom art. But it will be workable, and i was thinking maybe 800 square resolution will be best for working (as it is high res but still smaller), but yesterday i tried this on 1920*1210 too and it looks much better then on my smaller lap top (which is ideal for 1024*768 res) though wider screen distorts picture a bit so it looks wider. Anyway i will probably work with all 3 resolutions (as soon as walls for 800 are fixed) and i wonder how DC would look like for 1920*1210 but for now i will try shaping this what i have :)

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 10:08:32 AM »
I have been able to make good transparent pics for sprites finaly. From now on i will work art and i will have to redo my Torax characters for higher resolutions. Here is first sprite of female PC 640 and 1024 square resolution.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 04:01:36 PM »
Here is how it looks like in the game, it is still fresh but i think that this good to go. I will work on the art for it and good thing that i can also play FRUA while working with DC so :) i guess it will be fun.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 04:10:09 PM »
I have finished character art, i can't say i am really satisfied but it i hope i will work it out better soon, as some more graphic that will improve the look of module. I have finished JG4-TOFB so i expect to work more on this now. Here are 2 dwarves that i have done today.

anything