Author Topic: FRUA Gameplay Questions  (Read 914 times)

Offline clinton

FRUA Gameplay Questions
« on: May 02, 2013, 06:02:22 PM »
I've got a few gameplay questions.

I've noticed that by starting a level one, say Ranger or Paladin, one can immediately "human change class" (for free) to say a mage and keep the lack of armor and weapon restrictions once the other class reaches level 2.

So my questions:

(1) Is there a downside to this?
(2) Do dual-classed ex-rangers keep their bonus against large creatures?
(3) What is this bonus exactly?
(4) Do ex-paladins keep their protection from evil?
(5) What's the radius of paladins protection from evil spell in squares?
(6) Can ex-ranger/paladin mages cast in plate?
(7) Can ex-ranger/paladin thiefs backstab in plate?
(8) How does backstabbing work? I have trouble working out where the "back" is. Is it the reverse of the most recent attack, or the reverse of first attack in the "round"? If the latter, how do I work out where rounds "end" and a new round begins?
(9) In your opinion, is this dual-class approach better started with rangers or paladins (i.e. which class has the best intrinsic bonuses at level 1)? Of course thieves have to come from rangers however because of alignment issues.

Offline bravedogbfg

Re: FRUA Gameplay Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 06:14:49 PM »
You miss out on the HP bonus.  Plus, once Rangers can cast MU spells, if they dual class to MU they can continue to wear armor and cast. 

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 07:27:43 PM »

So my questions:

(1) Is there a downside to this?
Not really.

Quote from: clinton
(2) Do dual-classed ex-rangers keep their bonus against large creatures?
(3) What is this bonus exactly?

Yes.  It is +1 hp per ranger level vs giant-class creatures.

(4) Do ex-paladins keep their protection from evil?
(5) What's the radius of paladins protection from evil spell in squares?

I think so.  It is supposed to be 10' radius, but I'm not sure it actually does much.  It certainly doesn't work like the book version.

(6) Can ex-ranger/paladin mages cast in plate?

As bravedogbfg stated, they can only cast in armor if they've reached a level of ranger or paladin where spells are given.

(7) Can ex-ranger thiefs backstab in plate?

I don't know.  Never had one.

(8) How does backstabbing work? I have trouble working out where the "back" is. Is it the reverse of the most recent attack, or the reverse of first attack in the "round"? If the latter, how do I work out where rounds "end" and a new round begins?

This is how it appears to work:
  A combatant starts combat an undetermined facing direction.
  A combatant with an undetermined facing direction will face its first attacker. (Or will usually face directly away from a missile attack. I'm not sure why.)
  When the combatant makes its attack, facing direction returns to undetermined.
  Facing direction will continue into a new round until the combatant has an action.

Determining when a round ends can be tricky.  If you keep delaying one character until no one else has a turn, that's the last guy in the round.

(9) In your opinion, is this dual-class approach better started with rangers or paladins (i.e. which class has the best intrinsic bonuses at level 1)? Of course thieves have to come from rangers however because of alignment issues.

I would use rangers, mainly because of the initial HP advantage.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline hans

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 07:31:55 PM »
...(1) Is there a downside to this?...

No, not if the mod starts characters at experience zero and also provides a handy Training Hall where the characters can change class before starting adventuring. 

It's not technically cheating, although some may frown upon it as "not in the spirit of the game." 

I've done it a few times in the past.  I may start a Mage as a Ranger in order to get those extra hit points.  Or I may start out a Mage as a Cleric in order to have and extra member who can help heal my party, later. 

The original class abilities will kick in just as soon as the character advances their first level.  The hit point help is there immediately, tho.

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 03:31:26 PM »
(7) Can ex-ranger/paladin thiefs backstab in plate?

There are no such thing as Paladin/Thieves. I'm not sure Ranger can become thieves either, except maybe if they are Neutral Good. If so they should be able to backstab in plate. Backstabbing in plate is probably a FRUA bug, though, as I'm fairly certain the pen&paper rules and the Gold Box games only allowed leather armour. Being able to use blunt weapons for backstabbing may also be a bug.

First attack an enemy (must occupy a single square only) normally. If your thief attacks from the excact opposite direction before the enemy acts it's a backstab. Other classes will get a bonus to THAC0, but not to damage, if attacking from behind.
If the thief misses the opportunity he can delay his turn and have another character set up the backstab.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 03:54:54 PM by PetrusOctavianus »

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 08:46:46 AM »
Being able to use blunt weapons for backstabbing may also be a bug.

Interestingly enough you can't backstab with a Vorpal Blade.

Offline bravedogbfg

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 08:50:36 PM »
As an aside, the single most damaging attack I ever saw in PnP D&D was a 17th level assassin backstabbing with a short sword of sharpness (also poisoned). 

She rolled a natural 20.

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 01:38:57 PM »
in the dungeons and dragons shadow over mystara arcade game, the thief character actually jumps on the back of the character she is backstabbing, and starts whacking away. seems to me a backstab attack could be done with a blunt weapon (even though it says "stab"), but that is my opinion...

ST the opinionated

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 04:39:40 AM »
Being able to use blunt weapons for backstabbing may also be a bug.

Interestingly enough you can't backstab with a Vorpal Blade.

Quote from: 1E PHB, page 27
Back stabbing is the striking of a blow from behind, be it with
club, dagger, or sword. The damage done per hit is twice
normal for the weapon used per four experience levels of the
thief, i.e. double damage at levels 1-4, triple at 5-8, quadruple
at levels 9-12, and quintuple at levels 13-16. Note that striking
by surprise from behind also increases the hit probability by
20% (+4 on the thief's "to hit" die roll).

FRUA allows 8 item classes, corresponding to the 8 melee weapons usable by thieves, to be used in backstabbing.  The vorpal long sword is in its own item class, and should be usable by thieves, but the default version isn't.  The bugfix is to move it from item class 105 to item class 18. This shouldn't be done as a patch because it could mess up other designs.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.