Author Topic: Stuck at beginning of Bloodstone Wars  (Read 877 times)

Offline BryanMaloney

Stuck at beginning of Bloodstone Wars
« on: April 28, 2013, 10:44:59 PM »
I'm playing Ray Dyer's Bloodstone Wars (game38) and am very stuck early on. I made it to Bloodstone, rescued the centaur kid on the way, took out the dragon pair, and talked to the Baron. But now I'm stuck, nothing is happening and I can't get anything to happen.

What have I missed?

Offline Ray

Re: Stuck at beginning of Bloodstone Wars
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 09:04:20 AM »
Hey, Bryan,

Based on your previous feedback, this design is a prime example of incompetent design. 

There are numerous times in this design where you'll need to  go to the inn and sleep till nightfall (or dawn, whichever comes next), which will trigger the next series of events.  It was the best way I could think of to approximate the passage of time in the game.  Sometimes people will tell you that you need to go sleep, and other times they won't. 

I played through it myself a couple months ago--having had enough time since I designed it to forget all the tricks and event chains--and there were a few times where I was confused and wandering around.  If you felt as strongly about the last game you reviewed as your words indicated, you may do well to just give up on this one.

Edit: Don't get me wrong--If you want to keep playing, odds are you just need to go to the inn and sleep till the color of the sky changes.  It's just that this is the specific thing you cited as loathing so intently in that other design, and it happens in this one...a LOT.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 09:09:47 AM by Ray »

Offline BryanMaloney

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 06:27:10 PM »
Because EVERY SINGLE TIME I played D&D at the tabletop, we had to "wait" an unknown amount of time and for an unknown amount of waiting periods, with absolutely no clue as to what the cue was. It was utterly impossible, with a human DM, to say "Okay, we just wait until something happens." Instead, we, as the players had to sit around for hour after hour, hoping that we finally guessed the correct specific number of in-game hours to "rest".

I don't recall any paper-and-pencil modules that had such requirements, actually.

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 08:16:03 PM »
It may help you to know that in FRUA, the two event triggers based on time of day are "Night time" and "Day time". And, as Ray says, these are reflected in the colour of the sky. So you don't need to guess the time to rest: if the event doesn't happen at night time, resting until it is day time (eg, 12 hours) ought to do the trick, I would think.

Offline Ray

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 08:24:53 PM »

Thanks, Steve. 

Bryan, I understand that FRUA is different from tabletop.  Hopefully what I and Steve have said will help you get past the curve to understanding how events fire in this engine. 

If not, there are a LOT of other games to choose from! 

Offline hans

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 03:50:28 PM »
It may help you to know that in FRUA, the two event triggers based on time of day are "Night time" and "Day time". And, as Ray says, these are reflected in the colour of the sky. So you don't need to guess the time to rest: if the event doesn't happen at night time, resting until it is day time (eg, 12 hours) ought to do the trick, I would think.

Indeed, the separation of night and day to trigger different events has been an often-used design tool right from the very first Goldbox game, Pool of Radiance, and on through the other Goldbox games, and then/now to very many UA modules.