Author Topic: Questions about DC  (Read 17909 times)

Offline Milos Gulan

Re: Questions about DC
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2012, 02:37:23 AM »
:) I can make more then a big and detailed city, that is sure good to know.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 02:39:02 AM by Rainbower »

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2012, 03:05:32 AM »
One more question, I have saw in FAQ that there is a possibility to record playing in DC. I just wan't to know how it works. Does it record only events happened in the current design and that if I change later a part of the design, those recorded playing will not be the same?

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2012, 10:27:08 AM »
The record/playback feature is a troubleshooting tool.  It records data from one session (begin play to game exit) to a file in the data folder called Record###.log. (### is a number from 000 to 098.)  To use it, rename a Record###.log to playfile.log and press CTRL+P when the game starts.   

It will not work properly if anything that affects location, events, movement, characters, etc. in the playfile is changed.  When it does work properly it will recreate the session perfectly.

This is the basis for the mini mods we build to demonstrate bugs.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2012, 10:52:51 AM »
Awesome, thanks again :) it is good to know that i can make many movies too :) now I will try.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 10:59:24 AM by Rainbower »

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2012, 11:49:44 AM »
Awesome, thanks again :) it is good to know that i can make many movies too :) now I will try.

Well, they aren't movies.  They're scripts for the engine to run.  There can be 99 record logs, but there can only be one 'active' playfile.  Within these limitations, if you run a design in the engine using a script, it would be kind of like watching a movie.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2012, 02:40:47 PM »
:) Yes that is what I thought a file for play like a movie in DC, though it seem I can't make it work. I press ctrl+r while on the title screen or later and then esc key but nothing happens, though there were few record.log files from before that I deleted. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or should try again though I tried few times.

Also I was thinking abut winning the combat with win button. Is there a way to make it appear in later chain that it was actualy lost but not dead combat result?

That is beacuse I was thinking how I could make combat more interesting, and thought well, maybe it would be more interesting to make combat real and not just matter of saving and then repeating till it is solved with win. I thought how to allow loose but not dead and that they could be also cool sometimes still win would be better. So I am still not sure but maybe to have some loose counter and then to rate gaming as not so heroic or heroic or very heroic ect :).

I know this might be a bit more to think of but :) might be good. Also I am now shaping up my design :) did some new art and planing to start with stores :) magical items, weapons and armors, and also spell research and testing facility :). Did most of the story polishing, and did all journal entries but they look long and uninteresting I think :). I am not sure how to make them shorter, like paragraph and somehow really useful, It would be maybe most interesting if they could be used in the game but I don't know how that could be done :)

Anyway that is what I was thinking about :)  I might be posting updated version of my design soon btw if I get things done.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 02:49:23 PM by Rainbower »

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2012, 04:03:53 PM »
The current default setup is set up to always make record logs.  Just pick the one you want (usually the most recent) and rename it to playfile.log.  Then start the game and press CTRL+P.

You should delete the old record logs often so new ones can be written.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2012, 04:10:48 PM »
Oh I see now they are in the data folder :) ok I will try it tomorrow for sure then will post here how it was. Thanks :)

Edit: It works :) thanks, and it looks very cool :D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 04:13:03 PM by Rainbower »

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2012, 04:14:35 PM »
Hm one more question related to those previous, is there a way to turn win button in combat off

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2012, 04:42:05 PM »
Oops.  I forgot to address this one.
The WIN button is only available if the editor is also running.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2012, 02:30:57 AM »
Really omg that is interesting :) I thought everyone could pass with a win button and that I liked too. Though then I thought option to turn it off would be cool too :). Anyway good to know that it is only possible when editor is running :D

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2012, 05:10:20 AM »
How can I make that Colored text in DC I have seen in Helmetlands for example? Meaning like this to be colored? "This text is important"

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2012, 08:05:30 PM »
http://manikus.reonis.com/Help/EditorsInAction-PlacingATextStatementEvent.html

The color changes may be used in any event with text.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2013, 09:37:36 AM »
Would it be possible to make only one save of the game, and not really to save the game but to stop the game where it was played last time and to after loading to delete the saved game. I mean somehow just to save the place and continue later. But not to have a save file :) that could be recovered.

I was thinking of making some adventures that should be played without really saving a game :) instead just well if it could be just stoped and continued :D I know I am asking too much :D

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2013, 03:05:29 PM »
Would it be possible to make only one save of the game, and not really to save the game but to stop the game where it was played last time and to after loading to delete the saved game. I mean somehow just to save the place and continue later. But not to have a save file :) that could be recovered.

I was thinking of making some adventures that should be played without really saving a game :) instead just well if it could be just stoped and continued :D I know I am asking too much :D

Isn't this really the same thing as allowing the player to save it any point? Or do you want to stop them from going back and replaying a section? We can't do this in DC. As a player, I can't say that I would be terribly fond of the idea of only picking up the game where I left off, and not being able to restart or start a section again.

anything