Author Topic: Can't dual class Ranger  (Read 1791 times)

Offline PetrusOctavianus

Can't dual class Ranger
« on: October 20, 2012, 02:10:20 PM »
I have a Human, Chaotic Good Ranger with the following stats:

STR 18(68)
INT 18
WIS 18
DEX 15
CON 14
CHA 16

According to the FRUA rule book the Prime Requisites for Rangers are STR, INT and WIS, so he should qualify as both Cleric and Magic-User. So why does the game tell me that he doesn't qualify?
The only thing I can think is that the rule book is wrong and the CON is also a prime requisite.

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: Can't dual class Ranger
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 02:46:18 PM »
That seems to be the case.  According to the 1e Players Handbook the ranger class has four prime requisites,  STR, INT, WIS, and CON.  FRUA will allow dual classing if your CON stat is raised to 15.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 04:08:11 PM »
Oh well, at least I know for my next party.

A Ranger dualed to Magic-User is probably the strongest single character, partly since they for some explicable reason can wear full armour and cast spells. Why aren't they (or elf multi classes) restricted by the same rules as pure magic-users?

When I replayed Pools of Darkness some months ago, my Ranger/Mage was the only one left standing after the final battle.

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 09:30:53 AM »
Multi-classed elf mages are exempted from armor restrictions in the PHB race description.  Multi-classed elf thieves are not, if operating as thieves.  This isn't in the game either.

Dual classed mages should carry the mage armor restriction, but don't.

There are several simplifications that I suspect were made to keep file sizes within DOS memory limits, and still be reasonably accurate.

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 10:16:54 AM »
Dual classed mages should carry the mage armor restriction, but don't.

What's weird is that they do if dual classed from Cleric or Fighter, but not if dualed from Ranger.
All these inconsistensies are rather annoying. I actually played through most of Pool of Radiance not realizing my multiclassed elf could have used armour...

Same inconsistensies with the various wands. The designers of the Gold Box games and FRUA could never decide on the restrictions. Even within the same game there could be different restrictions, if one wand was imported and the other "native".

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 01:02:45 PM »
I just tested fighter, paladin, and cleric, and they all use the least rectrictive armor and weapons abilities when dual classed to mage.  In FRUA, at least.

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 01:55:50 PM »
I just tested fighter, paladin, and cleric, and they all use the least rectrictive armor and weapons abilities when dual classed to mage.  In FRUA, at least.

They can wear the armour, all right. But they can't cast mage spells in combat.
So there are different rules for dual classed Fighters, Clerics and Paladins on one hand, and dual classed Rangers and multi classed characters on the other.

I just don't see the logic behind metal armour prohibiting a human Cleric/Mage from casting mage spells, but not an elf Cleric/Mage having the same restriction.

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 02:55:43 PM »
Gee, that shows that I didn't test them very well, doesn't it?  :-[

I don't know that there is any real logic involved, but the rules state that elf multi-classed mages can cast spells in armor.  And that they have sleep and charm resistance, and that they can't be clerics.  (In 1e, anyway.)

I guess dual classed ranger/mages can cast mage spells in armor because single classed rangers can cast mage spells in armor.

Offline bravedogbfg

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 09:32:15 PM »

I guess dual classed ranger/mages can cast mage spells in armor because single classed rangers can cast mage spells in armor.

^ This.  Once Rangers hit a certain level they gain MU spell casting ability.  Having learned to cast with armor, it makes sense that they can continue if they dual class.

It would only make sense though if the ranger dual classed to MU AFTER they gained the ability to cast spells.  I never tested this myself, has anyone dual classed a ranger to MU at a low level?

Offline Jadefang

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 12:20:53 AM »
I dualed Ranger->Magic-User in Treasures of the Savage Frontier at level 7 once, and they couldn't cast while wearing armour.

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 04:37:44 AM »
I dualed Ranger->Magic-User in Treasures of the Savage Frontier at level 7 once, and they couldn't cast while wearing armour.

Hmm...it worked fine for me in Secret of the Silver Blades and Pools of Darkness.
Another instance of different rules within the same edition, like the restrictions on various wands?