Author Topic: Test Scores Mod  (Read 1314 times)

Offline hans

Test Scores Mod
« on: August 31, 2012, 05:26:03 PM »
Imagine a mod that includes a series of multiple choice test questions...like, a whole lotta them throughout the course of the mod.  Would it be possible to keep track of scores from the players' answers (perhaps through some canny use of quest values), and then assign a report-card-like letter score (A-F) near the end of the mod? 

I've never thought about doing something so elaborate with values (until now, of course), and my prior use of them has been purely elementary.

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: Test Scores Mod
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 06:53:04 PM »
It's very possible.  Use a quest set to a specific value, and use utilities events to add or subtract from the value depending upon the choices made.

Parsing it out at the end would take a LONG chain of quest events.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline hans

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 08:30:58 PM »
"Ten points to Gryffindor!"

Offline fly_by_night66

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 09:07:38 PM »
I seem to remember a P&P that did something like that depending on your actions.  10 points for attacking the statue that was really a Golem.  Something like that.

FBN66 - Jeff

Offline Orgetorix

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 07:33:30 AM »
Ultima V did something similar for character creation.

Offline Ray

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 01:45:40 PM »

Kind of like the old C-series of modules.  Tomoachan, Inverness, Castanamir, Prophecies of Brie--All those modules came with scoring tips at the end.

In FRUA terms, I remember Merric Blackman talking about the design he worked on for a long, long time, I think it was Festvial of Xan-Yae (?...Just going from memory there, because to the best of my knowledge our community lost Merric before he was able to finish it).  He used to mention in his emails to the FRUA community that he was working on a system to use quest variables to keep track of the calendar day--and then check those variables to trigger specific events.

All of the above was a little over my head, but I was always tempted to try something like that, just to see if I could make it work on my own...

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 08:17:26 AM »
This can 'kind of' work by using step events that trigger on day/night.  This was demo'd in a Hired NPC mod, but I can't remember its name.  It only works properly if the party takes at least one step during each day/night cycle.  You can hole up and rest for six months and pass no calendar days.

I don't think anyone has found a better method.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.