Author Topic: Wasteland fans out there?  (Read 760 times)

Offline bravedogbfg

Wasteland fans out there?
« on: August 07, 2012, 05:46:43 PM »
Wasteland 2 is in production and is mostly funded by fans through Kickstarter.  I know that Brian Fargo is on the team. 

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/

Did anyone else play through Wasteland / Fountain of Dreams back in the day?

Offline hans

Re: Wasteland fans out there?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 07:37:21 PM »
I enjoyed both, very much, back in the day. 

I remember, tho, as much as I liked them, wishing they'd had GoldBox-style tactical combat.

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 01:20:56 PM »
I remember thinking that as well. Though with no Raise Dead, combat is a lot more lethal, so it's something to think about.

The whole gaining-a-hit-die-every-level thing, while totally unrealistic, does make goldbox-style combat feasible. In real life, a soldier faces death every time he enters combat--there's none of this kobolds-can't-hurt-my-8th-level fighter stuff. A green recruit can get lucky and kill an experienced Marine sergeant.

Which might amp up the tactical component, actually, as players hide their characters behind cover and snipe at the enemy. What do people think?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 01:24:59 PM by Null Null »

Offline hans

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 01:51:53 PM »
Here's a couple of screenshots, to remind folks.

Offline bravedogbfg

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 09:51:17 PM »
Dude, you are effed in the Klown College.  LOL

Wasteland was very much equipment based.  If you didn't have the armor, you just couldn't survive some places.  And if someone died, there was an endless supply of recruits at the Ranger Center :)

Offline hans

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 11:19:50 PM »
Some college level thoughts about clowns:

"They laughed at Galileo.  They laughed at Newton.  But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." -- Carl Sagan

"If there are twelve clowns in a ring, you can jump in the middle and start reciting Shakespeare, but to the audience, you'll just be the thirteenth clown." -- Adam Walinsky

"I had a friend who was a clown.  When he died, all his friends went to the funeral in one car. --Stephen Wright

"You know what would make a good story?  Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad.  Also, he has severe diarrhea. -- Jack Handy

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 10:37:35 AM »
I played Wasteland but don't know about Fountain of Dreams. I was going to convert Wasteland to NWN1 but never got around to it. Might work with FRUA.  ???

anything