Author Topic: having trouble installing the update patch file on my WIndows 7  (Read 1464 times)

Offline Replicant

Hello, I am having trouble installing the update patch file on my WIndows 7 pc.  Here is the description of the issue:

This is the procedure I am following: "Extract the fruav12.zip into your FRUA directory. Install the 1.2 patch (UPDATE.BAT) by typing update.bat c in DOSBox."

I am using D-fend, and:
When running DOSBOX command menu, when typing "update.bat c" it replies "illegal command update.bat"
When trying to go to the c: drive typing "c, or c:\, it replies: "Drive c does not exist, you must mount it first.

The FRUA folder is in Program files(x86)\FRUA\FRUA\FRUAPTCH.EXE.  When clicking the FRUAPTCH app file, I get the response: "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running.  Check your computer's system info and see wheterh you need an x86(32 bit) or x64(64 bit) verison of the program.

Any advice to get this to work?

thanks,

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: having trouble installing the update patch file on my WIndows 7
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 11:16:42 PM »
It's probably a problem with update.bat, and there may also be a problem with running it under DOSBOX. See if this thread helps.

Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 06:45:09 AM »
I am using D-fend, and:
When running DOSBOX command menu, when typing "update.bat c" it replies "illegal command update.bat"
When trying to go to the c: drive typing "c, or c:\, it replies: "Drive c does not exist, you must mount it first.

The FRUA folder is in Program files(x86)\FRUA\FRUA\FRUAPTCH.EXE.  When clicking the FRUAPTCH app file, I get the response: "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running.  Check your computer's system info and see wheterh you need an x86(32 bit) or x64(64 bit) verison of the program.

You should attempt to update using DOSBox and not going through D-Fend.

Temporarily move the FRUA directory to another directory with a shorter name, like C:\DOS (because it will make the next part a lot easier on you).

Once you have DOSBox loaded, type this (providing you followed the previous step):
mount c c:\DOS

Then attempt to go the C: drive from within DOSBox, go into the FRUA directory and try to run the batch file again.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Replicant

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 01:22:05 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  Prophetsword, the method you described worked to extraxt the files, and hopefully install the patch, thanks.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 03:31:48 PM »
Let us know if it worked for you and whether or not you need any additional help.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Replicant

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 09:31:22 PM »

Prophetsword, it worked thanks, thats the way to do it with Win 7.