Author Topic: More room for pictures - by which hack do I accomplish this?  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
More room for pictures - by which hack do I accomplish this?
« on: January 28, 2009, 11:32:34 PM »
I remember there was a hacking tool that allowed you to augment the maximum number of pictures (at least for Dungeon and Wilderness art, I don't know what else). I never used it before though - can somebody remind me of the program's name? And is it a flawless procedure without risk?

Offline hans

Re: More room for pictures - by which hack do I accomplish this?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 12:12:20 PM »
Hmm.  I forget. 

If I remember right, tho, the information that needs to be changed to expand dungeons & wildernesseses slots is located in the Strg003.dat or one of the other "Strg"s...

Offline DesertScrb

• Another day, another dungeon.
    • Super Galactic Dreadnought blog
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 07:03:09 PM »
Look for DUNGROW or WILDGROW somewhere among the various hack utilities, or maybe in UAShell.  I think that's how you increase the number.

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 10:30:16 PM »
I don't recall either, but I seem to recall that it posed some particular problems such as crashes and ways to access them. You might try a search of the earlier UANLs for the information.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 10:36:12 PM »
Ok, I'll look into it. But if it could cause problems I better refrain from it... It would have been a nice addition but it's not that important. I'm already exploiting new wall sets and tunes and trying to get some ckit hacks in the mod as well - I really don't want to push my luck.  ;)

Offline hans

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 10:41:09 PM »
I don't recall either, but I seem to recall that it posed some particular problems such as crashes and ways to access them. You might try a search of the earlier UANLs for the information.

I believe the crashes happen when/if you've hacked in (grown) a new slot for art but haven't put any art in that slot.  When UA looks for it, and it's not there, well... 

There are a number of mods out there with such expanded slots and cause no troubles so long as people use UAShell to install them, first.

jvarnes

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 06:32:46 PM »
Grown Dungeons / Wilds seemed to work for me (even when I did't have the new art), but at some point if too many are grown... *kaboom* (well at least that's what happened to my design).
It seems a little unstable, but I never tested it throughly so can't say for sure. Would hate for you to grow 2 new dungeons and then find out halfway through designing that the module stops working  :o

Growing Walls however doesn't seem to work right. The grown walls show up right in the gallery, but not in placement or when you run the game  :(

Incidently does anyone know if additional small pics / sprites can be added (through drop ins?)  or grown? Never looked for a utility for that...

Offline Krys Tamar

• Prince of Vagabonds
    • Taer Campaign
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 07:15:05 PM »
FAIK, the number of pics/big pics/sprites is limited to 256 (or 128, maybe).  What is known is that you can't grow any more than the total of those 3 pic types, but you can switch them around.

jvarnes

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 02:15:45 PM »
FAIK, the number of pics/big pics/sprites is limited to 256 (or 128, maybe).  What is known is that you can't grow any more than the total of those 3 pic types, but you can switch them around.

Ahh...

So you do have to "grow" them with a utility (like you do with walls, dungeons, etc.)?

If so any ideas which editor does this?

Thanks!

anything