Author Topic: Events  (Read 1814 times)

Offline fly_by_night66

Events
« on: January 15, 2012, 12:45:48 PM »
Still working away on my first mod and have another question.  There are a several areas where I want the text events to say the same thing.  Is there a way to copy one texct event to another location?  Say I have two door leading into the same room and since they may enter either door first, I want the wording to be the same.

thanks!

FBN66

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: Events
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 12:53:16 PM »
It can be done using a zone event. If you don't have zone events to spare, you can use geoaid to have a single event occur at multiple locations.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline fly_by_night66

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 01:04:43 PM »
I don't know how to use zone events yet.  Must of what i am doing is learn by just trying and seeing what happens.  I also am not familiar with the developer tools like geoaid.  I am just hoping to finish it soon and hope that one or two people will like it.  It is very short and completely vanilla.

thanks!

FBN66

Offline fly_by_night66

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 03:12:10 PM »
another question.  I have an event and I want to do two different things depending on if the event happens and another if it doesn't happen.  Basically I go inot a room and have a text event and it happens once and I give treasure if it happens.  The second and subsequent times, it should just give a text message telling what the room is (the text is different from the first text).  I also have a few other places where this happens.

thanks again and for being patient with my questions.

FBN66

Offline Ray

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 07:22:43 PM »

This one should work if you do this:

Text Event describing the room the first time it is enter --> Chain Always, Do Only Once
Give Treasure --> Chain If Event Doesn't Happen, Do Only Once
Text Event describing the room after they've seen it.

This also works well, because you can make the second text event (the "after they've seen it once" event), trigger only if the PCs are facing a certain direction.  That way, the player doesn't have to read it all over again when he leaves the room.  Direction (usually) doesn't matter with the first two events, because they'll only happen once, and they'll happen no matter which way you enter the room.

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 08:34:28 PM »
Zone Placement

In the dungeon editor menu select Map/Zone Placement.

Select the zone (1-8) you want to use.

Place the zone in the blocks where you want the events to occur.

Creating a Zone Event

In the dungeon editor menu select File/Global

Zone (step) events (1-8) are listed on pages 3-5.

Click on "No Event", and change it to the event you want.

Set the "Happens On Step" number. (Use "1" to execute immediately.)

Set the "Happens In Zone" buttons so the event only executes in the appropriate zone.

For the Text & Give Treasure (once) / Text (always)

Set the first Text event and the Give Treasure event to Do Only Once.

Set the Chain Control (page 1) of the Event Editor as follows:

First Text event - Chain - Always
Give Treasure event - Chain - If Event Doesn't Happen
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline fly_by_night66

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 08:50:01 PM »
Thanks a lot guys - I have put it in and tested it and it works just fine and I think I understand how it is working.  Because you are always doing it, if follows the chain but since it is marked as do only once it doesn't redo it.  So it will complete the one part of the request but not the other part.  Kind of like a Boolean expression using 'or'.  Well I understand it.  It is my mainframe background I guess that makes it harder sometimes.  Say Ray - how do you mark certian areas as emcamp but no rest?  And how do you control how the game begins - intro sequences, etc?

Thanks for all the help.

FBN66

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 07:18:11 AM »
I'm pretty sure there's a setting in the global events for each map that allows you to decide whether each zone will allow resting.  So, if you want to disallow resting, you just set that zone so that no resting is allowed.  Additionally, if you *do* allow resting, you can set events to happen instead (like guardsmen coming along and telling you that you are not allowed to rest in that particular spot).  Those can also be set in zone events under the global settings.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Ray

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 04:11:28 PM »

Yep, to set whether the characters can rest, you have to use Zone events.  Just place your zones, then go to File --> Global Info and page all the way to the end. The last two pages have the eight zones and their "rest events."  If you don't want to be all fancy, you can just click "Cannot Rest," or words to that effect.  It is always cooler, though, when something happens to explain why you can't rest in a certain location.

As for the starting stuff, do you mean the Title screens, or just the first events that trigger when the game starts?

For the title pictures, you need to use a hacking tool like Titledit. 

For the opening sequence of events, like the text events that say, "You have come to Castellan Keep, the last bastion of civilization on the edge of the borderlands..." all you have to do is pick your starting location on the first page of the games Global Info--the same group of pages where you went to set up your rest events.

Hope that helps!

And, for what it's worth, I have quite a few programmer friends who have all told me the same things.  First, they can't get over how programming in FRUA is similar and yet different enough from actual programming to be confusing.  And second, they can't get over how listening to me talk about a design is like listening to a "real" programmer talk about work.  Once you get into Chain events and Quest variables, you can really start to sound intelligent, I guess. 

I don't know.  That's what they've told me over the years.   ;D

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 10:42:21 AM »
I had to use the two zones per room with an event for Haptooth Tower. SSI made almost every room have 2 entrances. I ran out of zones and had to split the tower into several modules.

Offline fly_by_night66

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 05:20:01 PM »
Hey Ray (or anyone) I am trying to get the opening dialogue going and starting position but I can't find where to set it.  I looked in global events on page 1 and still don't see it.  Can you be a bit more verbose on where to set it and get this thing started?  Thanks for all the help!

Fly_by_night66 - Jeff

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 10:30:11 PM »
The Global tells you what module and what entry point your characters start at. Set these then put your starting conversation at the entry point you choose in the correct module. It generally defaults to Dungeon 1 entry point 1.

Offline fly_by_night66

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 08:00:14 AM »
Thanks!  A lot of trial and error got me to that point.  I should try that more but am afraid of pulling out what is left of my hair when I test and things don't trigger the way I want them or how I feel they should.  I think I am ready to start testing my module and if I can get that going with life, then I can ask for playtesters.  Just a couple of weeks...

FBN66 - Jeff

Offline Ray

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 11:30:47 AM »

Sounds awesome...Glad you got the opening text thing figured out! 

Can't wait to see what you put together!!!   ;D