Author Topic: thief saves when using ua shell  (Read 1736 times)

Offline KTG

thief saves when using ua shell
« on: October 21, 2011, 09:15:25 AM »
I have a little issue that I'm hoping someone here can give me an easy fix for.  That old thief saving throws with all 0's is a bug that many of you are familiar with.  I've fixed this using HackCKIT in my vanilla UA install.  Works good there.  I also have a second install with UAShell which I use for playing hacked modules.  Problem is, when I play a module w/UAShell, even when I try to fix it with HackCKIT, it reverts back to all 0's every time I restart UAShell or 'Apply' certain designs.  How can this be permanently fixed?

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
Re: thief saves when using ua shell
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 11:28:57 AM »
Seems you may have run into the infamous empty diff.tbl file. I had trouble with it myself until I read FRUA98 and HackCKIT. Works for me, but the windows uashell won't run the actual games unless your monitor can go down to 600 pixels. (Or is that 800.) While you are using it you might check the Misc section and turn off the password protection if it is on.

I'd like to know if it is safe to use HackCKIT on OAUA or not myself. I'd love to remove those passwords.  ::)

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 11:55:24 AM »
The simplest way is to make the ckit changes with HackCKIT without using UAShell or DOSBox. Run UAShell without DOSBox and restore Default settings (F9), then exit UAShell before performing the edits.

There are warnings against doing this because it makes permanent changes, but in this case I think that's what you want.

It's always good to make a backup copy of ckit.exe first, just in case.

I'd like to know if it is safe to use HackCKIT on OAUA or not myself. I'd love to remove those passwords.  ::)

I don't think it's safe to use everything in HackCKIT on OAUA. Brian moved a lot of things around, so some of the hex offsets will have changed. If you're just talking about turning off the copy protection codes, I suspect that would still work.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 01:51:36 PM by nologgie »
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 01:23:42 PM »
The simplest way is to make the ckit changes with HackCKIT without using UAShell or DOSBox.

There are warnings against doing this because it makes permanent changes, but in this case I think that's what you want.

It's always good to make a backup copy of ckit.exe first, just in case.
But won't that get messed up if you play a hacked module in UAShell? The diff.tbl rewites CKIT right?

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 01:46:30 PM »
But won't that get messed up if you play a hacked module in UAShell? The diff.tbl rewites CKIT right?

The diff.tbl only affects the specific bytes addressed. If the designer modifies thief saves, they'd be affected (and probably be corrected) while the design is applied, then be restored to the (now corrected) default values when the design is removed.

I didn't mention that default settings should be restored before using HackCKIT solo. I'll edit that in. :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 01:48:25 PM by nologgie »

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 08:35:41 PM »
Removing FRUA game passwords is easy enough, can be done in a hex editor. No design/module will be likely to restore it. Method is outlined in Ckitform.txt, found in the Hackdocs.zip download in Rosedragone:
"Disabling Copy Protection Question:
-----------------------------------
  Setting the following byte to a value of 235 (0xeb) will completely
disable the copy protection question.
Copy Prot. Disable   181789 (0x2c61d)   1 byte      0 thru 255"

Module passwords are found unencrypted at the end of the relevant "game001.dat" file.

Offline KTG

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 08:59:10 PM »
I actually was running HackCKIT from windows, not thru UAShell.  I've seen no empty diff.tbl file.  The module has its own diff.tbl, which is not affected by running HackCKIT afaik.  I tried again a few times, and making changes works, until I select 'Apply' from the UAShell menu.  Then, it reverts back to the 0's for thief saves.  Starting/stopping UAShell has no effect, just picking 'Apply'.  So, I guess I could make the changes, play thru a module, and wouldn't have to worry about it until I played the next module.

Offline hans

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 09:48:41 PM »
I actually was running HackCKIT from windows, not thru UAShell.  I've seen no empty diff.tbl file.  The module has its own diff.tbl, which is not affected by running HackCKIT afaik.  I tried again a few times, and making changes works, until I select 'Apply' from the UAShell menu.  Then, it reverts back to the 0's for thief saves.  Starting/stopping UAShell has no effect, just picking 'Apply'.  So, I guess I could make the changes, play thru a module, and wouldn't have to worry about it until I played the next module.

UAShell saves CKit changes as Diff.tbls.  This is so that you can load a mod with a hacked CKit, enjoy playing it, but not have to worry about having those changes remain when you want to play another mod. 

When it is first installed, UAShell creates a copy of the default CKit as the Panic.xxx file in the Default.dsn folder.  Whenever you apply a design using UAShell, it will either change the CKit to according to a Diff.tbl it finds in that design, or, finding no Diff.tbl, it will revert back to the default version. 

It sounds like you're changing the CKit, but because you're not going through UAShell to create a new Diff.tbl to save those changes, it is reverting back to the other Diff.tbl changes every time you run UAShell. 

It is a frustrating aspect of using UAShell with our faster CPU machines, that it has become more difficult to create Diff.tbls.  My immediate advice is to keep backup files of your changes before running UAShell.  Keep us advised, and we should be able to get you through this roadblock...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 09:50:54 PM by hans »

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 10:06:14 PM »
I just tried this again on a 'test' installation to make sure it still works for me, and it does.

From what you describe, it sounds like Default.dsn isn't applied when you make the changes. If any other design is applied, the real 'default' ckit.exe will be hiding in a different directory under an assumed name, and you'll only edit a temporary version. The easiest way fix this is to open UAShell, press F9 to restore the default settings, then 'YES' to clear out the Default Directory and terminate UAShell.

At this point (with UAShell still closed), make and save the edits you want to become part of your permanent setup.

After the edits are saved, run UAShell and apply a design as you did before. Unless they're changed by the design's diff.tbl, the 'permanent' edits you made should remain in effect.

If not, please tell us about it, because others will probably have the same problem and we need to make sure we have a solution.  :)

Offline KTG

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 10:24:23 PM »
Thanks to those who have responded.  It may be a week or two before I try the above suggestion.  I'll let you know if it works out.

Offline KTG

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 10:13:41 AM »
For those interested, below is the solution which appears to fix the issue.
- In my hacked copy of FRUA, find the PANIC.XXX file in the Default.DSN folder
- Make a backup copy of PANIC.XXX
- Rename PANIC.XXX to CKIT.EXE in order to use HackCKIT.exe on it
- Run HackCKIT.exe (in windows, not UASHELL).  Change location to the now renamed CKIT.ExE in the default folder
- Pick Saving Throws.  It currently has all 0's.  Enter the thief's saves for each level
- Click Save button
- Exit HackCKIT.exe
- rename CKIT.EXE back to PANIC.XXX
- run UASHELL and apply a design to test it (I applied several and each time it always had the thief saves)
Also I noted that when applying a Realms design, the thief saves were a little different (Realms uses 2e thief saves maybe?).  This is how it always was in Realms mods (for me anyway), they never had the thief saves = 0, so changing PANIC.XXX didn't affect Realms designs at all.  I'd guess that the Realms games include thief saves in the diff table and override PANIC.XXX.

As an added bonus, I've permanently turned copy protection off  :D

Thanks to all for helping me come up with a fix.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 07:48:50 PM »
I would like to see a DIFF.TBL that just fixes Thief saving throws. It can't be that long, right?

According to my 1E Dungeon Master's Screen, it should be:

Saving Throws:
Paralyzation/Poison/DeathMagic = PPDM
Petrification/Polymorph =PP
Rod/Staff/Wand = RSW
Breath Weapon = BW
Spell = SP

Thieves:
(Includes Assassins and Monks)
Experience Level:
LVL     PPDM PP RSW BW SP
 1-4    13   12  14  16 15
 5-8    12   11  12  15 13
 9-12   11   10  10  14 11
13-16   10    9   8  13  9
17-20    9    8   6  12  7
 21+     8    7   4  11  5

By my count, that's 30 bytes that need to be changed from 0's.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com