Author Topic: REVIEW: Game10: The Ghost Tower of Inverness (by Ray Dyer)  (Read 794 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
REVIEW: Game10: The Ghost Tower of Inverness (by Ray Dyer)
« on: January 25, 2009, 08:13:40 PM »
Game10: The Ghost Tower of Inverness
by Ray Dyer

Overall Rating: 6.5

Reviewed by Chris Markwyn

Another in the ongoing series of conversions from classic pen-and-paper modules for D&D and AD&D, C2: The Ghost Tower of Inverness is a brief but fun dungeon crawl through a ruined keep, in search of an ancient magical artifact, the "Soul Gem." (All right, so it's not the most original plot in the world, but it was written in the 1980s, so give them a break.) Once again, Ray does a good job in transferring the feel of a live gaming session to UA. Over the course of his coversions, he's developed quite a repertoire of tricks and techniques that work to capture that Dorito-munchin' feel of a late-night gaming session. If I wanted to write a design that harks back to the classic days of AD&D (which I may actually do one of these days) the Realm games would be an excellent source of inspiration and guidance.

In regards to Inverness specifically, the design is fairly brief. I completed it in a couple of hours. In general, I prefer the longer designs in the Realm, such as The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, or The Lost City, but a short dungeon crawl can be a nice diversion too. My major complaint was that much of the dungeon seemed pretty empty, though I guess we have to blame the original writers of the module for that. A few combats, a few treasures, and that was about it. I was hoping for some more to do, but oh, well. It was still fun.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 05:50:30 PM by Olivier Leroux »

More Information Here:

Offline PetrusOctavianus

Re: REVIEW: Game10: The Ghost Tower of Inverness (by Ray Dyer)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 07:57:26 AM »
Not my favourite Realms module, this one.

The plot was contrived and the dungeons too empty.
Combat was on the easy side. Near the end HP attrition was done by events (which I don't like). I'd much rather have fought that annoying Fire Giant.

It's small and quick, and enjoyable despite its faults, though if it felt rather uninspired (which I assume is the fault of the original pen&paper module).

No bugs.