Author Topic: Strange teleporting bug when no transer event  (Read 1518 times)

Offline atuXV

Strange teleporting bug when no transer event
« on: October 14, 2011, 04:42:39 PM »
Sorry everyone, I don't mean to be so needy with all of these questions, but I want to create a quality mod so.....
A lot of the same faces are answering my questions so I will kind of assume some of you will know what I'm talking about so I don't have to spend too much time explaining myself. I've finished my intro with the camp event, quick start, and view full intro buttons. After my "quick start" event chain is complete the party is inexplicably transported to the area of the map that the default entry point was located. I have placed entry point 1 in a different location, but entry point 2 is now located where the default entry point once was (the uppermost lefhand corner of the map). There is no transfer module event in my event chain for either button. Any ideas of what is going on?
"I don't roll on Shabbas"

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: Strange teleporting bug when no transer event
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 06:09:55 PM »
Ummmm. No. Sorry.

If you made a copy of your design, stripped the text (so as to not give any secrets away), and posted it, I'd be happy to give it a look.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 06:20:35 PM »
I had this problem when I had an event connected to another event connected to a transfer event. Event 1 was connected to Event 2 by a If Event Doesn't Happen, and connected to event 3 by Always.

When the Event 1 chain ended the Event 3 transfer went off. This is one reason I recommend all even/or events be placed inside a chain event. I haven't had the problem since.

We don't have enough information on what you did to help you.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 09:17:25 PM »
I'm going with GoldBoxFan that we don't have enough information to go on here.  Because, I thought your issue at first was that it was sending the player to the wrong Entry Point, so I had to read your post again.  Can you explain it a little more clearly?

LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline atuXV

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 06:13:30 AM »
Sorry everyone for the lack of clarity. I was frustrated with the absolute lack of logic of the situation, and I was being impatient. The problem is fixed now, thanks to GoldBoxFan's post that led me in the right direction, but I will more clearly outline the problem I ran into and what I did to fix it in case anyone else experiences the same difficulty.

In the initial event structure of my mod I start off with a camp event, thanks for the suggestion by the way, followed by a question button event. Button one is "Quick Start." This is linked to a special item event where the party is given a phantom item they will be unaware of. This event is then chained to text statements that give a brief summary of what is going on so the party is not totally blind. Chained to the final text statement is a give treasure event that gives the party their starting funds. That is the last event of the "Quick Start" chain.

Button two is "See Full Intro" which is not itself chained to any event.  The question button event itself is chained to the 8 text statements that make up my full introduction. This series of text statement events are only triggered if the party does not have the phantom item mentioned earlier. After the text statements are complete, there is an identical give treasure event to the one described above. That is the final event of that particular chain.

My problem was that when the chain of events associated with the "Quick Start" button was finished (in Play Testing and actual game play) the party was transported inexplicably to the uppermost left-hand corner of the dungeon (previously the default entry point one, now entry point two which I specifically placed). This confused me because there was no transport module associated with the chain of events I have just described. There is a transport module in the dungeon, but it is unassociated with the above described chains. I also did not experience this problem after the "See Full Intro" chain of events took place.

The problem had something to do with the "chain control" option at the bottom of the events. In the "Quick Start" chain, the first event is the special item event. I had the chain control set to if event happens, and then all other events following the chain control was the default always. After I switched all of the chain controls of each event in the "Quick Start" chain (starting with the special item event) to if event happens my problem was solved.

Offline atuXV

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 08:04:51 AM »
I take it back, there is still a problem. The weird thing is, when I test the module within the editor, there is no problem. When I actually "Play the Game" the problem is still present after the "Quick Start" option. After reading the comments of the other thread (Same Old Song...) I'm tempted to scrap the whole Quick Start option, though I will keep the camp event at the beginning. Still, I'm open to suggestions as to how this problem can be resolved.

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 09:07:53 AM »
If the Camp event and the "Quick Start" Question event are set to Do-Only-Once, the "Quick Start" option could give the special item and, rather than a Give Treasure event, use a Stairs or Teleport event (with Execute Event checked) back to their current location. This will restart the chain at the Camp event (which won't fire again) and continue down the original chain.

Offline atuXV

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 09:42:33 AM »
If the Camp event and the "Quick Start" Question event are set to Do-Only-Once, the "Quick Start" option could give the special item and, rather than a Give Treasure event, use a Stairs or Teleport event (with Execute Event checked) back to their current location. This will restart the chain at the Camp event (which won't fire again) and continue down the original chain.

Thank you! Sometimes I get so obsessed with the problems that I miss relatively simple fixes. :disgust:

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 10:28:50 AM »
If you have any more scripting problems I suggest you upload the geo###.dat file (zipped of course) with the post, then we can see the scripts ourselves by copying it into another module and loading it. Then you only have to give the x,y coordinates of the event and which one at that location is the problem.

I wonder if I did one-time only when I had my problem.   :-[

Offline atuXV

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 10:43:21 AM »
If you have any more scripting problems I suggest you upload the geo###.dat file (zipped of course) with the post, then we can see the scripts ourselves by copying it into another module and loading it. Then you only have to give the x,y coordinates of the event and which one at that location is the problem.

I wonder if I did one-time only when I had my problem.   :-[

Great, thank you. I will next time...though I earnestly hope there won't be a next time!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 10:45:18 AM by atuXV »

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 04:16:28 PM »
Can anyone explain why you would use a blank "special item" rather than just using a quest? You can still trigger events from "party has item" and selecting a quest rather than an item.

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 05:05:43 PM »
Personal preferance, I suppose, unless they're short of quests. Running short of quests happens often enough.

Special items show up in the inventory, as do keys, which can open special doors. Some probably don't realize that special items and keys can be advanced by quest stage events, and used with quest 'In Progress', 'Failed', and 'Completed' triggers.

Offline atuXV

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 05:33:11 AM »
Can anyone explain why you would use a blank "special item" rather than just using a quest? You can still trigger events from "party has item" and selecting a quest rather than an item.

This will be a relatively short module, I plan to make an episodic series of short modules with a unifying story in which one party can move from mod to mod, and I will not likely use all of my special items. The quests, however, are more versatile concerning what I might use them for, so I want to make sure I have plenty of them (though I probably won't run out of those either).