Author Topic: UAShell??? I can't find it anymore  (Read 3422 times)

Offline AmigaDave

UAShell??? I can't find it anymore
« on: January 25, 2009, 12:23:36 PM »
David Knott's webpage is down or gone and I can't find a site that is hosting a download of UAShell.

Does anyone know where I can find it?  I have it (I hope) on another computer in another city, but wanted to do an install (again) on the Windows XP Pro partition on my MacBook laptop today if possible.  I had to wipe the Windows partition and re-install XP Pro, so I lost my FRUA and UAShell install that was there.

Thanks in advance for any help.
David
Willing to work for a better FRUA community and MORE MODS!

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Re: UAShell??? I can't find it anymore
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 12:51:51 PM »
http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/uashell/

This is the site were you will find the modules to play as well as all the fabulous art. Just go up to the PC directory. :)

Offline AmigaDave

UAShell??? HELP!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 11:03:53 PM »
I give up trying to get this working on my own.  I have spent hours upon hours trying to find help, so I would not have to bother you old time users with questions that may, or may not have been asked hundreds of times before.  What I have found is that there is not much to be FOUND regarding UAShell anymore.  So many links are broken and what links do work have little to no information on how to install UAShell, and once installed, how to use it and trouble shoot the program if it is not working properly.

I need help, PLEASE!  I would like to play the many hacked mods that are available and are being reviewed and discussed here on the forums and on the mailing list.  I have lurked for years, knowing that my interest and fond memories from playing the old Gold Box SSI games 20 years ago would not go away and that I also wanted to try my hand at creating mods eventually.

I started with a fresh install of FRUA, upgraded it to version 1.2 successfully, installed UAShell from the uashellc.zip file (I thought it would be more current than the uashellb.zip file).  After UAShell installed, with the support files from the UAShell area of the file archive installed in the same UA directory, I ran uashell.bat and then chose the reorganize editors option from the menu.

I have dozens of .dsn folders in my UA directory, but only "default.dsn" is seen by the "Show" menu option inside UAShell.  How do I see the other designs/mods to run the "apply" menu option, or to play them?

I am tired and frustrated and really would appreciate some help as my earlier pleas for a mentor went unanswered, or denied.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 08:32:50 PM by AmigaDave »

Offline AmigaDave

Re: UAShell help
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 01:55:55 PM »
I am still unable to get a working install of UAShell, so I can run hacked mods and start creating my own hacked mods.  Since I can't seem to get it installed correctly, I was wondering if one of you could send me a ZIP compressed copy of your complete UA w/UAShell directory?  Just a copy the basic files needed to have a working copy of UA and UAShell is what I am asking for, but if there is a favorite mod of yours inside the directory too, I won't mind taking a look at it too.  The nice thing about DOS programs is that I don't have to worry about any dll's or registry entries, all I have to do is unzip the folder/directory and run the UAShell program.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

I would not ask for such a large favor, but I am out of ideas on why my attempts all end in the same failed result.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 02:16:14 PM by AmigaDave »

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 11:24:53 PM »
Hey Dave!

Check out my post "Nol's Guide for FRUA Newbies" either here on the froum or on the mailing list.

I recently reinstalled FRUA and I found the process frustrating as well, despite the fact that I've been playing the game off and on for many years now.

I tried to be as detailed as I could in outlining the steps to take.

Take a look, and if that post still doesn't resolve your issue, let me know.

Nol
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline AmigaDave

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 01:45:18 AM »
Hey Dave!

Check out my post "Nol's Guide for FRUA Newbies" either here on the froum or on the mailing list.

I recently reinstalled FRUA and I found the process frustrating as well, despite the fact that I've been playing the game off and on for many years now.

I tried to be as detailed as I could in outlining the steps to take.

Take a look, and if that post still doesn't resolve your issue, let me know.

Nol

Great job Nol,

I replied to the list already, but wanted to thank you here as well.  Your work writing it will be well appreciated by others in the future I'll wager.

I'll give it a test install on a fresh folder/directory myself to see if it continues to NOT work on my computer system.

In the meantime I am enjoying a working copy of UAShell which three members of the list, or this forum were kind enough to send to me via zip file as I requested.  The first one I unzipped and tried worked, so thanks to all of you who gave your help and specifically those three who took the time to zip the needed files and send them to me.

I am going to be losing much more sleep now that I have UAShell working and can catch up on playing all the mods that are available.  I'll try to learn fast and return the favor by writing my own mods for all of you to (hopefully) enjoy playing.

What a relief to have my frustration ended.  Thanks again one and all!

AmigaDave (Amiga computers that is, not the other Spanish meaning for Amiga)