Author Topic: A few bugs? In Game06 and Game08  (Read 1119 times)

Offline Jaesun

A few bugs? In Game06 and Game08
« on: August 05, 2011, 12:28:52 PM »
In Game06 - B8, Journey to the Rock

When meeting the Chameleon Men and peacefully choosing to go with them, you are given the choice to pay the fine OR fight their champions.

Using the editor, I noticed that the quest state of Quest 3 is set then to Stage 2 and marked as complete if you pay the fine. However if you do fight the Champions and win, the Quest Stage is not updated at all, they still will ask you to pay a fine to cross their lands AND at the end of playing this module, you get the text that you still owe them money.

I have a feeling that Ray intended that if they fought, they still are trespassers upon their realm and have only won their freedom, but need to pay the gold to cross their lands. Additionally the Quest check at the end of the module which states you still owe them money (which you do not if you fought) should be it's own numbered quest. It's possible Ray ran out of Quest numbers, so this might be what happened.

In Game08 - B11-12, King's Festival/Queen's Harvest

In the area where you can choose to go through the Wizards Basement and find the 2 items, there is a nasty game stopping bug.

Specifically, the 2 people you can meet, one of the options will cause a game stopping bug/game state.

1. If you fail at the door trap, and then you meet the 2 people and they take the item, the game will progress just fine (after you go and find them and recover the item).

2. If you get past the door trap and meet the 2 people (and I specifically had them join my party), even after you have both of the quest items the game will never allow you to exit through the trap door in the final room (you are trapped in this dungeon forever). I have a feeling some even is/was supposed to fire after you find the second quest item with the 2 NPC's you added to your party, but it is either bugged or missing entirely. I'm not sure what happens if you tell them no and send them off.

I was thinking of rolling up my sleeves and fixing both of these bugs (though I am not sure if the Chameleon Men encounter is a bug. That may be exactly how Ray intended it). The bug in Game08 is however a bug. I *assume* after finding the second quest item (the tiara, our 2 NPC's in our party should then ...do something).

Just wondering if Ray or someone else might have some insights into this?

« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 02:03:02 PM by Jaesun »

Offline Ray

Re: A few bugs? In Game06 and Game08
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 04:11:10 PM »

Hey, Jaesun!

Sounds like you found some very interesting bugs! 

I was completely unaware of the chameleon man bug.  I always try to play through every chain in a design while I'm designing it, and back then I had a few different folks playtesting for me.  Still, it's always possible that the "fight your way through" option got overlooked.  If I missed it while designing, I'm pretty sure most of my playtesters would have avoided that route, so it very well could have gone unnoticed all these years. 

The weird thing is that I remember coming across the bug that your referencing in Queen's Harvest.  It happened years ago, back when I was trying to level up some characters "the fun way" to playtest a different design.  These two modules were the first four adventures in the campaign I ran from 1990ish to 2000ish, so they've always had a special place in my heart.  I did exactly what you described, found the exact same bug, and I SWEAR I fixed it!  I have no idea why it would still be there after all this time, unless my addled brain is just too...addled...to remember what went wrong.

If you have the time and inclination to work out the bux fixes, that would be awesome.  I have to admit that my calendar is a little too full these days.  My little girl just turned one year old, work is kicked into high gear with me and another guy doing all the work our ten-person team was doing a month ago (no exaggeration, I swear), and my P&P campaign reaching the 20th-level mark...I'm swamped!

Offline Jaesun

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 04:56:03 PM »
Thanks Ray! I DO actually have a little bit of time (I personally love these 2 modules you did) and may very well fix these up. For In Game06 - B8, Journey to the Rock, should the sequence of events for the chameleon men be (if you were captured peacefully):

1. Pay the fine, you are brought back to the spot where you first encountered them, and must choose another patch to The Rock.
2. Pay the fine, but discover you do not have enough money, the Omnerubesk will then ask the players if they will promise to pay at a later time (and then would receive a special item perhaps an IOU Letter). You are brought back to the spot where you first encountered them, and must choose another patch to The Rock. When ending the module, if player posses the IOU letter then a check for that item will be made (instead of the Quest 3 check). The player then can travel back and pay them and feel good for keeping to their word.
3. Fight the Champions,you are brought back to the spot where you first encountered them, and must choose another patch to The Rock.

Does that sound good? I'd rather stick to what your original intentions were.

EDIT: I changed the above as I had forgotten they block the path if you try to return through their lands again from The Rock.
EDIT 2: Found another bug. After the player pays or fights they are returned back to the spot where they first encountered the chameleon men (thus blocking your path to The Rock), BUT if you talk to them and choose back away, it transports you to the path that leads to the rock. There also need to be a check here to see what direction you are approaching from.  I *assume* they are supposed to both block their patch to The Rock as well as returning from The Rock. In that you are trespassing upon their lands and are not allowed past, period. (thus providing an option to use the other 2 paths).

I'm just going to PRAY you labeled all the Special Items you did use in the game, and the blank ones are not used. heh. If not, ugh, I'll just have to go checking a LOT of events....

For In Game08 - B11-12, King's Festival/Queen's Harvest (in the wizard basement quest)

Can I assume the events should have played out as this (if the player does successfully detect the trap and then meets the 2 NPC's):

1. Party agrees to have NPC's in party. After acquiring the Tiara, when leaving the room the NPC's will then attack.
2. Party does not agree to have NPC's in party. After acquiring the Tiara, when leaving the room the NPC's will then attack.

Is that how it should work? I never did check what happens if you don't allow them into your party, but I will check to see if that is working or not.

And congrats on your Daughters 1st Birthday!  :D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 06:22:29 PM by Jaesun »

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 12:11:49 AM »
...I'm swamped!
Sounds like when I had my country's five hundredth anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder, and Guilder to frame for it.

Offline Jaesun

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 03:54:20 PM »
I was able to fix the bug in  Game08 - B11-12, King's Festival/Queen's Harvest (in the wizard basement quest) when picking up the second item. What is strange is one of the events (the math event) will not work at all if NPC's are in the party (?) I move the area to it's own dungeon and then at the end did a check for the NPC's and added a math event (which strangely works) and then the quest states all work fine and I can finish the game. And I now know what happens to the NPC's if they are in your party when you leave. So I don't have to add or do anything else to it.