Author Topic: ADnD monster encounter generator  (Read 5189 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: ADnD monster encounter generator
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, 11:04:35 AM »
I own both Dungeon master's Assistans by SSI, and Windows 7 doesn't like to play well with them. :D I know that I need to run them through DOSBox, but Windows 7 hasn't been playing well with that either - I am sure it's because I'm using a wide-screen monitor, I just haven't taken the time to work it out. :D

Widescreen monitor shouldn't matter.  I have it running on Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit) on widescreen monitors with the aspect ration corrected so that it doesn't look stretched out.  What kind of issues are you having? 

More Information Here:

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 02:18:49 PM »
I'm having the "I tried running it one time, it didn't look right, so I've not tried anything again" problem. :)

It's probably a good thing, actually. The last thing DC needs is for me to find another distraction. ;)

Offline prespos

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 11:53:23 PM »
Ooops ... it's Dragonsfoot ( ), not Dragonsmount (although that sounds cool as well!).

I've done all of the MM2 tables, complete, and now I am just going back and doing the tables from Appendix C of the DMG. Of course, anytime, just copy and paste whatever from those AD&D pages, to save yourself the data entry.

A programmer at DF even found a way to convert .html tables into sourcecode, although I forget the language.
Should be possible to convert .html --> basic C++, then just go and trim/format as needed to make it functional.

I have to apologize to everyone here .. I am next to zero coding skills so far.

However, random generators sound pretty easy. If they could be included in the Dungeon Craft suite, Official 1E generators, that would attract a lot of attention from the DF crowd as well.

Online Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 01:17:52 AM »
Random Combat events are easy peasy lemon squeezy in Dungeon Craft.

1) Set up a Zone by clicking on squares where the party might have a random encounter. Each dungeon level can have multiple Zones, so you might have a safe Zone, a normal Zone, and a Wandering Monster Zone all on the same level of the dungeon.
2) Make a Random Event (see screenshot below) happen on every square in your Zone. This will take one or two mouse clicks to set up in the editor.
3) Set up the random percentages for each of your possible encounters. Choose the monsters for each of your random encounters. Dungeon Craft is so nice, you don't even need to worry whether your percentages add up to 100 or not.
4) That's it!
5) No, really, that's all it takes!
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2011, 05:27:34 AM »
Hmm - I made a javascript AD&D 2e PC roller (1st level only) a couple of years ago, and thought about doing a monster roller, too - maybe I'll get around to it one of these days.  It should be fairly simple, mostly the hard part will be just getting all the data for all the monsters into the script :D
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: