Author Topic: art requests for Dinonykos  (Read 54429 times)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
Re: art requests for Dinonykos
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2011, 04:31:59 PM »
I bet you could very easily do variations on this (armor, feathers, etc) if you wanted to. :) How did you decide on the color of the skin/hide? Is there a relatively "simple" internet resource I could look at for current theories on coloration of dinosaurs?

I am not aware of any yet, but I will check next week.

I know that there have been articles about coloured feathers of dinosaurs in 'Science' in 2010, and there are some older findings of pigments in dinosaur skin. It is still 99% speculation though for most taxa. You may use the colours you like... :D

However, concerning Triceratops and others, they probably used the "neck shields" for display functions (in most ceratopsids, the shields were to thin for being useful as a kind of armor or even had huge windows which were only covered by skin), so my completely red icon is probably illogical. Rather, most of the body may have been rather dark/greenish, but the head, especially the shield, may have beeen colourful. Perhaps they could even change the colour of the shield?
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2011, 04:40:28 PM »
So, do what I usually do, whatever is easiest (I think most of my models come with textures that I can use, but maybe I'll change some up for variety). :D

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2011, 07:40:29 PM »
This is purely speculation, so I know it is most welcome... :D

Anyhow, consider the colorations of modern day animals... While I have no proof, there are a lot more camouflage colorations for plant eaters than for meat eaters (altho it still applies to be able to sneak up on prey)

Other considerations (still wild speculation, though) is that certain ceratures have VERY bright coloration as a form of warning, like the red poison frogs.

ST

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2011, 04:34:09 AM »
Other considerations (still wild speculation, though) is that certain ceratures have VERY bright coloration as a form of warning, like the red poison frogs.
ST

There were also some articles in 2010/2011 in different scientific journals discussing poisonous Dromaeosaurs (with poison glands, as some authors state, while others deny this). While I personally am a skeptic here, the idea is interesting. And of course, speculations about warning colours of such dinosaurs - if really poisonous - would be reasonable. As well, of course the comparison with modern animals is reasonable...
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2011, 03:48:31 PM »
I found some time to do another dinosaur... :)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2011, 02:49:35 PM »
Awesome! :)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2011, 02:58:57 PM »
I thought about doing a pterosaur next, but how are flying animals handled in FRUA/DC, especially during combat? In other games I know, flying creatures have some advantages (like not being attackable while flying). But I don't think DC has something similar...

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2011, 03:03:13 PM »
FRUA (and therefore DC) just gives the flying monsters more movement points. It is completely reasonable to expect that some clever designer will modify this for her own uses and add a "Flying" SA to the mix that interacts with weapons and the what-not to proved bonuses and penalties for combat. :D

Offline rune_74

« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2011, 04:27:33 PM »
Hey dyno, this may sound a bit crazy...what would be the chances of you doing the monstrous compendium monsters(meaning all monsters from the books so we have a staple of great looking icons?)  I know this would be a huge job, but christ you got talent.

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2011, 07:23:47 PM »
Well, I think Uatu has done icons for a large proportion of those monsters. There are far more icons available for DC than there were in default FRUA.

Offline rune_74

« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2011, 10:20:53 PM »
True:)  I can never get enough it seems though.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2011, 12:42:53 AM »
Hey dyno, this may sound a bit crazy...what would be the chances of you doing the monstrous compendium monsters(meaning all monsters from the books so we have a staple of great looking icons?) 

Sorry, 0%... :)
I personally won't use most of them since I do not make designs with a D&D background. I am furthermore quite sure that Uatu and other artists will continue doing creatures from those books. Chances a good, though, that I will do more mesozoic and palaeozoic creatures from the list in this thread. :D I try to make them at least similar to Uatu's, although I will certainly not reach the same level of detail...

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2011, 02:44:51 AM »
These icons are pretty cool, Dinonykos! :)
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2011, 01:45:05 PM »
There is a thread here or in the Ironworks forum where Uatu and I discuss our doing all of the icons from the various sources - however, we're interested primarily in 1e, so no Monstrous Compendium, oh no - we're all about the Monster Manual, Fiend Folio and Monster Manual II. :D

I know the results are out of date, but we calculated how much (percentage) we each had done of each book. ;) He's done quite a lot since then too...

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2011, 08:04:51 PM »
Ooh, nice stegosaurus, Dinonykos!  :D  With the ankylosaurus, you have now finished my two childhood favorites :)  I would like to do a few dinosaurs, too, but they are so big, and I've still got to do some more dragons first...

rune_74: Don't worry, most of what is in the Monstrous Compendium (2e) was taken from the Monster Manuals (1e), with some minor design changes (i.e. giant and dragon sizes).  Because DC is based on FRUA, which was based on 1e rules, it seems more "accurate" to work from the 1e material when possible :)

As for percentages, so far my results are about:

Monster Manual: 36.3%
Fiend Folio: 12.4%
Monster Manual II: 16.7%

Some monsters have multiple icons as well (leaders, females, etc.).

I've been real busy of late, but I'd like to do some more... :D  (Meazel is actually done, I just have to rename it and upload it...)
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://www.reonis.com/uatu/

anything