Author Topic: Lands of Adventure - An EGA Module  (Read 7539 times)

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
Re: Lands of Adventure - An EGA Module
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2012, 09:26:05 PM »
So, no one, eh?
I can look at it this weekend after shoveling out. But I doubt if I have enough time to play it all. Assuming it is large. Got enough on my plate as it is.

Offline hans

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2012, 09:36:12 PM »
So, no one, eh?

I look forward eagerly to playing it, once it's finished.  I feel like I'd spoil it for myself to experience it piecemeal, before everything's worked out.  I realize that's sort of a selfish attitude, of course.   :-[  Plus, I really want to concentrate on finishing my own Yukionna mod.   

You might try posting your request on the mailing list, too, as it just might attract the attention of old fans who haven't been following the forum much...

Offline Donnie Ewald

• Administrator
    • Ego's Abode
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2012, 07:31:07 PM »
I'll give it a go. If I don't get a chance to play it tomorrow, I would next weekend.

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2012, 03:16:33 AM »
Hi Ben. I would be really happy to have a look, but cannot commit to much time. So don't count me among your two official testers, but I'm available as an adjunct if you would like that.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2012, 01:21:51 PM »
Hi Ben. I would be really happy to have a look, but cannot commit to much time. So don't count me among your two official testers, but I'm available as an adjunct if you would like that.

I'll get back with you on that.  Thanks for the offer.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2012, 06:09:53 AM »
How long, would you say, does it take to play through it? And how much time are the playtesters given for their task?

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2012, 07:58:45 AM »
How long, would you say, does it take to play through it? And how much time are the playtesters given for their task?

Given the nature of the mod, the play through could be anywhere from an hour to ten hours (yeah, I know that's not helpful).  This module is all about a ton of optional choices and quests.  The player is free to do whatever they want and to walk away from whatever they want.  It's an open world for the player to explore or not explore at their whim.  Imagine it almost like if Skyrim had been made for UA.

Testers are given as much time as needed to provide feedback.  The module is only half done, so it's not like I'm rushing toward release at this point (but, hopefully in a few months).  But, I would expect some feedback and bug reports within about a month or two.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 08:01:55 AM by ProphetSword »

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2012, 09:47:06 AM »
And so far you only have Donnie as dedicated playtester? I don't have a lot of time on my hands at the moment, but in case you find noone else, I'd be willing to help you out and give it a try. 1-2 months should be achievable, I think.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2012, 10:41:06 AM »
I have one other playtester (who will remain nameless unless they want to make themselves known) who volunteered back when the project started.  No one but me has seen the game yet.

I don't want to oversell it, though.  But, I do think folks will like the module if they like open exploration, lots of choices, and old style Gold-Box style EGA graphics.

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2012, 02:07:29 PM »
I'm the nameless playtester who responded by PM.

I'm very surprised there aren't more volunteers, but I guess this is a busy time for some people. I certainly hope it's that, and not a lack of interest.

If you gave up computer gaming for Lent, I understand.

See you after Easter.  ;)
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2012, 03:53:09 PM »
It might also be that people are spoilt by their great enjoyment of Ben's past modules and would only like to savor the full game and not spoil their fun by taking a look behind the curtain and deal with a half finished, possibly still buggy design. Not everyone's a playtester. ;)

But yeah, I think playing activity has died down a bit recently, at least going by my own experience and the poll about who and how many still play FRUA. I'm still waiting and hoping for the day that FRUA will be re-released on GOG.com and we'll get a new surge of passionate players and designers. :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 03:55:01 PM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2012, 04:39:59 PM »
I've got about 9 modules of my own to playtest, the uanl to get out, and half my art packs to fix. No free time here.

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2012, 05:42:49 PM »
I've got about 9 modules of my own to playtest, the uanl to get out, and half my art packs to fix. No free time here.

You should ask for some playtesters. I'd do it. :)  It's usually good to have a second (or third, or seventh) set of eyes looking things over. It could take some of the load off you as well.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline cacaro

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2012, 01:16:19 PM »
Would you need someone else to test the module, ProphetSword? I'm currently playing two FRUA modules, but I'd be more than willing to put them on hold, since yours looks very impressive (I love the open-ended choice-based style you seem to have aimed for).

Let me know.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2012, 06:44:37 PM »
I'm taking a break from the module for the moment (got a lot of school work to do).  I'll probably come back to it in a month or two with renewed vigor.  For now, the first group of playtesters gave me a lot to consider and to revamp.

When the time comes for another playtest run (when the game is much closer to completion), I will drop you a message about playtesting.

anything