Author Topic: Music Issues  (Read 3107 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Music Issues
« on: May 27, 2011, 09:39:07 AM »
I've got kind of a weird problem I've encountered while designing my newest module.  No matter which selection I make in music, the game will only play the default UA "Overture" music.  I've changed the music a couple of times (using music from several designs, and even attempting to go back to the default), but nothing fixes the issue.  This has never happened in the past, and I shudder to think of releasing an epic size module with only one musical cue.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Or, does anyone know what files are related to music in a design (in case I missed one) so that I can remove or alter them?

Thanks in advance.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline hans

Re: Music Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 10:43:56 AM »
"Overture" is DQK1.xmi
     (ADDQ1 or PCDQ1 or RODQ1 depending on your music settings.) 

"Victory" is DQK3.xmi 

If you're using expanded tunes thru the UAShell hacking option, or using a CKIT file that has already been hacked to include them:
"Treasure" is DQK4.xmi
"Foes" is DQK5.xmi
"Battle" is DQK6.xmi
"Mystery" is DQK7.xmi
"Uh Oh" is DQK8.xmi
"Evil March" is DQK9.xmi 
     In unhacked UA, all these must be mini-tunes contained in DQK2.xmi (and there's a way to hack that file, too). 

If you've got DQKs (or ADDQs or PCQs or RODQs) above number 3 in your *.dsn or Disk1 folders, then you've got one hacked for expanded tunes (if there's 4-9, then it's been fully hacked for all tunes). 

If so, check to see if all of your expansion XMIs are of identical file size, which would indicate they're all copies of the same tune. 

If you've got expansion XMIs of different sizes, but they're still all playing the same tune, then my educated guess is that a mistake was made during hacking thru UAShell, and you'll need to go thru that hacking process again.  :-\
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 10:45:45 AM by hans »

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 01:08:39 PM »
The problem might stem from the fact that I'm using another module as a base to build from, and it was already hacked.  How would I know if it's been hacked in such a way?  When using my custom music files or the default UA files, it doesn't work, but when using expanded files, it works fine.  Is there any way to change it?

Thanks for the info.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 03:34:47 PM »
Just a thought:

Is it even possible to use xmi files from other modules as simple drop-in tunes, like Ben did here? Or does the hacking additionally require some other step, some kind of entry in a file somewhere that tells UA what tunes are to be replaced by what? I always used the hacking tool in UAShell to assign tunes instead of just renaming or copying xmi files ... Could that be the cause of Ben's issues? Or should it work the way he did it?

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 05:23:11 PM »
I didn't even know that you could hack the tunes through UAShell.  I've always just dropped XMI files in and UA did the work for me.  So, it's definitely possible.  But, in this case, I might be using a mod that is set up differently.  But, wouldn't there be a file that would contain the information about that in the design directory?  Shouldn't I be able to delete something?

Offline hans

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 08:00:48 PM »
The changes needed to use expanded tunes (aside from having available XMI music files) lie in the CKIT.  Kaviyd's CKITMUS (Ckit music editing utility) run thru UAShell, does most of the work, but I think this UANL article explains exactly what changes to the CKIT are made:
http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/uanews/uanl24/tech02.htm

IIRC, one of the early SHUA CKITs had a mistake where two of the tune selections utilized the same XMI file.  I fixed that by running CKITMUS and importing a new tune into the redundant slot.  So, the problem should be fixable. 

The only problem, these days, is that some of us have issues trying to save changes to the CKIT thru UAShell because our computer speeds are too fast...   :-[

Offline hans

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 08:08:04 PM »
Is it even possible to use xmi files from other modules as simple drop-in tunes, like Ben did here?

I've reused the same hacked CKITs in several mods, where all I've done to use new tunes in place of the originally imported expanded tunes was simply do drop in some new XMI files (named the appropriate DQK*.xmi numbers).  As long as the CKIT was properly hacked, it will use whatever XMI file that has the right name. 

In fact, as I've never used the same set of tunes for my mods twice, I've used this shortcut a lot!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 08:09:39 PM by hans »

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 09:05:51 PM »
Quote from: CKITMUS.TXT
CKITMUS Editor

by David Knott (kaviyd@aol.com)

This program will not only import the selected XMI music file into the
selected slot but will modify the CKIT.EXE file so that it will properly
access files in the "expanded" range (slots 4-9).  When you import a file
into one of the expanded slots, CKIT.EXE is modified to access that tune
(while the other slots are left alone).  When you import a "mini-tune"
file (slot 2), all references to expanded slots are undone so that the
new "mini-tune" file is accessed instead.

Run CKITMUS from the UAShell. As the text file says, install one tune into slot 4-9 and you can use drop-in tunes without "installing" them.

The actual bytes changed in ckit.exe are:
00086F25: 02 06
00086F35: 02 00
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 09:22:13 PM »
I've reused the same hacked CKITs in several mods, where all I've done to use new tunes in place of the originally imported expanded tunes was simply do drop in some new XMI files (named the appropriate DQK*.xmi numbers).  As long as the CKIT was properly hacked, it will use whatever XMI file that has the right name. 

So, is it actually the executable file that's changed?  If so, then why can I still use music correctly in the other designs?  I'm confused.  I just need to know what is in this design that's making it act this way. 

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 10:00:52 PM »
Look for these lines in your diff.tbl.

86F25 2 6
86F35 2 0

If they are there you should be able to use drop-ins.

If they aren't there, paste them in.

If they are there and you can't use drop-ins, there is probably another problem.

Offline hans

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 10:33:14 PM »
Yeah, it's the Diff.tbl.  That's the file that UAShell creates which saves all changes to the CKIT for a specific design.  When you use UAShell to install another design, it removes those changes, either going back to default UA, or changing things according to the new design's Diff.tbl.   

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 08:56:50 AM »
Look for these lines in your diff.tbl.

86F25 2 6
86F35 2 0

If they are there you should be able to use drop-ins.

If they aren't there, paste them in.

If they are there and you can't use drop-ins, there is probably another problem.

My problem is the opposite.  I don't want to use drop-ins.   Removing these two lines did not fix the issue.  However, removing the whole diff.tbl does.  Is there a way to just disable the use of drop-ins?

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 02:50:45 PM »
I think only slots 4-9 can be disabled. Slots 1-3 should always play drop-ins, if present. Running CKITMUSD should put the affected code back to original.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 04:56:43 PM »
I solved the issue by removing the diff.tlb and instead including the diff.tlb that comes with FRUA v1.3.  This eliminated the issue completely.

As a final question...where do I find the information about the Peekaboo event? (Wasn't there another added event as well?).  I saw them once, but can't remember where now.  Can someone point me the way?

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 06:35:17 PM »
It's in UANL 34. The first release had a problem with the diff.tbl. This should be the corrected one.

http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/uanews/uanl34/hakpak1.zip

It's good to see FRUA v1.3 being used!  :) If you find any bugs or glitches, please yell!