Author Topic: Color-cycling pattern of the default marble wallset?  (Read 2102 times)

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
Color-cycling pattern of the default marble wallset?
« on: January 23, 2009, 10:05:03 AM »
Does someone know the color-cycling pattern of the default marble wallset or where I could get it? I need to make some changes to the walls but I don't want to lose the burning fire effect when I re-import the modified set.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Offline hans

Re: Color-cycling pattern of the default marble wallset?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 10:40:46 AM »
It's easy to learn the c/c settings of any default art or anybody else's imported art through Dan Autery's TOOLBOX program. It allows you to import from existing .tlbs, and as you import, you can check or alter c/c settings.

Marble will try to trick you because UA's original programmers put 2(!) color-cyclings into that wallset, but you only see one.

Toolbox shows the superfluous one as range 1. Range 2 is the actual fire.

Marble's fire uses:
delay: 11
1st color: 57
thru 2nd color: 62

Marble's pointless extra range uses:
delay: 4
1st color: 63
2nd color: 68
--but all that cycles is an unused row of pinks.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 10:47:39 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply, hans! I'm going to check this out at once.

The forum was a really great idea and turns out to be immensely helpful!  :)

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 12:11:15 PM »
Color-cycling works! Cool.

I'm still having different troubles though, perhaps you can also help me with them?

For my "Tale of Two Cities" design I created a marble wallset with opaque, that is black windows. That time I had these troubles I'm going to describe now, too, and I resolved them by manually correcting the pcx in question but I can't find that pcx on my harddrive anymore.  Now I've only got the TLB it's included in. :-[

But frankly, this has been bugging me ever since: I use this UA tool called TLB2PCX to extract a wallset (e.g. the marble TLB set that includes my black windows). But often those pcx don't seem to work with Toolbox the way they are. The wall images don't hold the same position that Toolbox think they ought to, so part of the images are cut off. I always have to manually correct and move them before I use Toolbox or copy all of the wall images into a working template of the wall in question. And I think this problem is not related to assigning the pcx to a wrong wallset or slot in the Toolbox options but a consequence of how TLB2PCX prints out those images. Or am I wrong?

It's all quite complicated, especially since I'm no native speaker, so I hope this is comprehensible to you.

How do you go about when you want to extract a particular wall images from one TLB set and import it into another?

Thank you for your help!

Offline hans

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 10:22:33 PM »
I use TLB2PCX very rarely, these days.  Mostly, I use Dan Autery's SHOW proggie, to view the .tlb, and then use the Ctrl+P option to make a .pcx copy of the image I want. 

TOOLBOX gives the "option" to choose an existing template for walls instead of using that proggie's default, which it sounds like you've been using.  The "option" button is right under the "palsort" button.   

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 11:45:41 PM »
Hm, no, I already work with the Toolbox "option" to set the wall templates... but maybe I chose the wrong settings, I don't know. Although I have a notion as to what template and slot I assigned the wall back then I can't be quite sure. Oh well.

But thanks for the tip with the Ctrl-P shortcut, maybe that will make a difference. And if not then I'll know that my settings are wrong and experiment a bit with the other templates.

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 08:57:05 AM »
I've made (unreleased) walls in the past, and though I totlaly forget the process I used, what hans describes above sounds fairly close to what I did. My biggest issue was always getting walsl made in one template (say Coral A) to tranfer properly over to another (say Fire Bricks). I know I've done, but ... *spreads hands helplessly*

Offline hans

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 06:52:01 PM »
Hm, no, I already work with the Toolbox "option" to set the wall templates... but maybe I chose the wrong settings, I don't know. Although I have a notion as to what template and slot I assigned the wall back then I can't be quite sure. Oh well.

If you're copying from an already hacked wallset, it may be that the author put one type of wallset where another normally goes.  Like using a Marble template where RockB sits.  Both Wallcopy and Toolbox can do that.  If the author hasn't noted the change, it can take some detective work to figure out which template was actually used.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 07:09:07 PM »
If you're copying from an already hacked wallset, it may be that the author put one type of wallset where another normally goes.  Like using a Marble template where RockB sits.  Both Wallcopy and Toolbox can do that.  If the author hasn't noted the change, it can take some detective work to figure out which template was actually used.

Heh, the author in this case was me, myself and I. I guess that's what you get for being unorganized and slackly about these things...  :D

anything