Author Topic: Classic Random Loot tables  (Read 1272 times)

Avin

Classic Random Loot tables
« on: October 31, 2010, 01:43:51 AM »
The one thing I've really been missing from FRUA are the pen and paper loot tables. I've tried a number of (terrible) events to try coming up with something close but for the most part they continue to fall short. I was hoping that maybe some one either had some really good ideas for random loot tables or maybe even better all ready had made some that they could share.

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
Re: Classic Random Loot tables
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 03:33:02 PM »
If you try to randomize the combat treasure via events in FRUA, you will reach the event limit pretty soon.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 07:20:03 PM »
Hmmm...what about a dungeon covered with a zone that gives the party a random item from a list of 20 treasure events or something like that? Transport the party, execute, transfer back.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 07:25:03 PM »
Transporting the party back to where they came from would be a problem in FRUA.

Using a random "combat treasure" event in front of a random combat could work.

Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Ray

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 08:30:52 PM »

One cool thing about the Combat Treasure event is that it doesn't have to precede a Combat event.  I used a dungeon once where I created four or five Combat Treasure Events in the Global Info section Zone events.  They were randomized and made so only one could happen at a time (Chain "If Event Doesn't Happen"). 

Whenever one of those Combat Treasure Events occurred, the party would get that treasure following whatever combat they ran next.  That could be the rats in Room 2, or the Balor in Room 12...You just have to be careful about how many steps occur between those Zone events...

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 10:23:34 PM »
Good point there Ben...you'd have to have every point in the 'treasure' dungeon have a separate transport back, and have one point for every occurrence of random treasure.

Ray's idea could be copied and pasted across dungeons if you wanted a uniform 'random magic item' event.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 01:25:29 AM »

One cool thing about the Combat Treasure event is that it doesn't have to precede a Combat event.  I used a dungeon once where I created four or five Combat Treasure Events in the Global Info section Zone events.  They were randomized and made so only one could happen at a time (Chain "If Event Doesn't Happen"). 

Whenever one of those Combat Treasure Events occurred, the party would get that treasure following whatever combat they ran next.  That could be the rats in Room 2, or the Balor in Room 12...You just have to be careful about how many steps occur between those Zone events...

The only problem with the "combat treasure" event is that the loot will also get attached to regular treasure events.

I used that trick to expand some treasure events in "The Sect", such as the armoury in the Goblin village.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 12:42:48 PM »
It did what Ray did in zones for my Hillsfar module, but used 7 normal treasure events. Hillsfar the game would randomize treasure each time you entered. Unfortunately, I forgot to identify my healing potion in at least one dungeon, and can't seem to find where that was.