Author Topic: press RETURN to continue...  (Read 3933 times)

Offline Baronnecro

press RETURN to continue...
« on: August 31, 2010, 03:32:48 PM »
why does it say RETURN not ENTER? i thought my comp in 1997 had an Enter key. is there a way to make it say Enter key instead of "Return"? doesn't this ever bug anyone else?

"hmmm press ANY key to continue... which one's the ANY key?" ~ Homer Simpson

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
Re: press RETURN to continue...
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 05:01:19 PM »
It can be done with a HEX editor.

Use the program CKITSAVE (in UAShell under Editors -> CKIT -> CKITSAVE.MNY). The program takes you to DOS mode. Now start a HEX editor in Windows. Search for the word "RETURN" in the file CKIT.EXE (in the UA folder). Change it. Save the file. Go back to UAShell (still in DOS mode) and type EXIT. UAShell asks if you want to save the changes, click yes. Now the changes are written to the DIFF.TBL of your currently selected mod.

This can be done with any word.

Only drawback with changing RETURN to ENTER is that the latter word is one letter shorter. I don't know if anything can be done about the spacing of the other words.

Also, make a backup of CKIT.EXE or your UA folder before messing with the HEX editor.

Screenshot of my test result below (click to enlarge):

Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Baronnecro

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 06:03:14 PM »
freakin awesome homer simpson would say "whoo hoo!" to you.  :D

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 09:35:32 PM »
why does it say RETURN not ENTER? i thought my comp in 1997 had an Enter key.

Those damn Apple II's, with the "RETURN" key where one of the two "ENTER" keys should be...
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Ray

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 11:40:08 PM »

That must be where my confusion comes in...I started on an Apple II, so I always took it as a reference from when the game was first made...Computer's back then had an Enter key and also a Return key; with the Return key a throwback to the old Carriage Return of a typewriter.  Most of the folks using computers these days have never used (or maybe even seen) a typewrite with a carriage return...so I imagine this terminology would bother more folks than it wouldn't...

I didn't realize that it was just a certain sort of old computer that used the old typewriter terminology, though.  I figured it was all of the old keyboards, since they were making them to ease the transition from typewriter to word processing!

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 11:59:59 PM »
I'm not at home now to check the relic closet, but I think most of the old 8-bits and some of the 16-bits had return keys. At the time it was probably cheaper to buy key-buttons used by the much more common typewriters and word processors (machines, not programs) than to special order them with computer terminology. In any case, the return key matched the return key on a typewriter, and the enter key matched the enter key on a 10-key calculator. Simple stuff. Old and familiar, not new and threatening.

BTW: Ben J, Good answer! You Da Man!  ;D ;D ;D

Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 12:21:03 AM »
freakin awesome homer simpson would say "whoo hoo!" to you.  :D

nologgie taught me everything I know about this.  ;)
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline ProphetSword

• Dungeon 36: Do Only Once
  • Administrator
  • FRUA since 1993
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 03:11:15 PM »
why does it say RETURN not ENTER? i thought my comp in 1997 had an Enter key. is there a way to make it say Enter key instead of "Return"? doesn't this ever bug anyone else?

To answer your question: It doesn't bug me in the least.  I think it's generally accepted that the Return and Enter key are the same.  Some older keyboards actually said both Return and Enter on them. 

As previously pointed out, some computer systems (like the Commodore 64) had a RETURN key in place of the ENTER key.  The gold-box games were developed across many different systems, so this is likely a legacy of that. 
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Olark

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 03:51:20 PM »
I have an old typewriter at the office with a return key. We still use the thing on occasion.  8)

Offline Ray

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 06:01:41 PM »

I watched a movie the other day...can't remember which one, but I do remember that the main character was a writer and he had apparently typed an entire novel on an old-style, non-electric typewriter.  It's one thing to know that folks did that for years.  It's another thing to see that beast and imagine what it would have taken to hammer out all that text...

Offline Baronnecro

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 08:25:58 PM »
I watched one of my favorite movies the other day. He never wrote a novel, he wrote "ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY" on a typewriter. I wish I knew if it was electric or not. :)

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 10:12:17 PM »
To answer your question: It doesn't bug me in the least.  I think it's generally accepted that the Return and Enter key are the same.  Some older keyboards actually said both Return and Enter on them. 

Apple II's had both a RETURN key and an ENTER key... and they functioned differently from each other! I'm not sure what the keyboard was like on a Commodore or an Amiga.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Simeon Pilgrim

• simeonpilgrim.com
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 09:00:45 AM »
Curse of the Azure bonds has "press <enter>/<return> to continue" though the code, but it also has this logic for handling the ECL (the game scripts)

Code: [Select]
iif (gbl.unk_1D972[1] == "PRESS BUTTON OR RETURN TO CONTINUE.")
{
    gbl.unk_1D972[1] = "PRESS <ENTER>/<RETURN> TO CONTINUE";
}

Which shows the original code was not for the PC, but something that had a button and a return key.

Offline ProphetSword

• Dungeon 36: Do Only Once
  • Administrator
  • FRUA since 1993
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 09:51:17 AM »
Apple II's had both a RETURN key and an ENTER key... and they functioned differently from each other! I'm not sure what the keyboard was like on a Commodore or an Amiga.

Did not know that.  Out of curiousity, what did they do?  I assume one worked as a carriage return (probably RETURN).

In my post, I was actually referencing some old PC keyboards that said both RETURN and ENTER on the same key.  There weren't many of them, but they existed. 

In the case of the Commodore 64, it only had a RETURN key where the ENTER key is found on most keyboards.  I don't believe it had an ENTER key at all.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Olark

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 09:52:44 AM »
The C64 had a Return instead of Enter

anything