Author Topic: Importing new backdrops  (Read 1694 times)

Olark

Importing new backdrops
« on: August 24, 2010, 07:53:18 PM »
Hi, I've been searching online and (maybe I'm blind), but I can't seem to find a guide to importing new backdrops. Which tool to use? Is there a guide out there somewhere?I've saved images in 256 color mode (utilizing 224 colors) as is recommended elsewhere on these forums. , converted to .pcx, and used ua256 to get the appropriate pcx file ready for importing. I'm wondering though if I need to instead convert to .tlb
I have installed version 1.2 and have uashell with toolbox etc.
How to get the .pcx file into the game?

On a side note, I've been able to create some new monsters/combat pics by creating and importing them, and have also imported new 88x88 pictures of my own making for use in my mod. & Greetings all, this is my first post.  8)

Offline hans

Re: Importing new backdrops
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 11:49:44 PM »
Hi, I've been searching online and (maybe I'm blind), but I can't seem to find a guide to importing new backdrops. Which tool to use? Is there a guide out there somewhere?I've saved images in 256 color mode (utilizing 224 colors) as is recommended elsewhere on these forums. , converted to .pcx, and used ua256 to get the appropriate pcx file ready for importing. I'm wondering though if I need to instead convert to .tlb
I have installed version 1.2 and have uashell with toolbox etc.
How to get the .pcx file into the game?

On a side note, I've been able to create some new monsters/combat pics by creating and importing them, and have also imported new 88x88 pictures of my own making for use in my mod. & Greetings all, this is my first post.  8)

Welcome, Olark!   :D 

Dan Autery's terrific TOOLBOX, which you have, is now the prefered program for Backdrop replacing. 

Only 32 colors are allowed in a Backdrop.  This is because a Backdrop has to share a screen with Wallsets, a Frameset, and Always icons.  Each art type demands a share of the 256 (VGA) colors total, so each is alloted its own palette. 

If you reduce your Backdrop art to 32 colors, TOOLBOX will put them in the right order if you chose the Palsort option while importing. 

TOOLBOX creates a drop-in *.tlb, which, as the name suggests, can be dragged and dropped into your *.dsn folder, and the new Backdrop will then show up in your design.   :)

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 02:03:06 AM »

Welcome to the forums! :)

If you want to share the pics with the community, you could convert them to *.png and post them in the "Art Reviews and Previews" section. ;)
Released designs:

The Sect

Olark

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 06:20:49 AM »
Hi Thanks for the tips. I couldn't locate the toolbox.exe from inside uashell although the files are there. Anyways I got the toolbox.exe running OK with DOSbox and am all set to go now. Though I'll have to redo some of my images to 32 colors. Hope they still look OK afterward.  I'll let you know how it turns out.  ;D

Olark

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 09:45:19 PM »
OK. Some progress but not quite there yet...
I had a 90x90 bitmap image converted into .PCX and used Gimp to set the colors to 32colors and used ua256 to align the image. Then saved.
Then used Toolbox to import the image and then used PalSort.

So now it seems like it is imported, but I am not finding any .tlb image. Is there an extra step I am missing?

Offline hans

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 10:38:41 PM »
Yes, replacing the Coral back using TOOLBOX, you should have created a file named Back1005.tlb.  Are you sure you're looking for it in the right output folder...?

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 04:42:55 AM »
The output folder is dependent on the location of TOOLBOX.EXE.

If TOOLBOX.EXE is located in your FRUA folder (in the same place where there's also CKIT.EXE) Toolbox will automatically put the TLB files in the folder of the design that's currently applied via UAShell (and replace files of the same name if there are any, so be sure the applied design is the one you want to add the TLB files to).

If TOOLBOX.EXE is located in any other folder, it will save the TLB files in the very same folder Toolbox is in and you'll have to move the files manually to your design folder.

Hope that helps you find the backdrop TLB. Very nice backdrop, btw!

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 05:05:31 AM »
Very nice backdrop, btw!

I agree!

Makes me look forward to a design by Olark! :)
Released designs:

The Sect

Olark

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 05:58:02 AM »
Aha! Back1005.tlb!
Silly me. I was assuming the filename would match the original .pcx file.  ::)
Thanks.

Success!! & Onward Bound!