Author Topic: Attention: One-Week Challenge  (Read 3550 times)

Offline hans

Re: Attention: One-Week Challenge
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2017, 09:49:01 AM »
Wow!  I'm certainly looking forward to seeing your artwork, Kaz!   :happy2:

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2017, 01:37:57 PM »
"tlb animated pics" sounds interesting. Is there a discussion somewhere in the forums about how to make them, and some examples?

Offline Ray

« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2017, 02:42:32 PM »
I am SO intrigued by all of this!

Steve, here are some old UANL articles on animations.  They've always been a topic that interested me immensely!

Issue 21 frua.rosedragon.org/pc/uanews/uanl21/tech07.htm
Issue 33 http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/uanews/uanl33/da-anims.htm

I'm sure they appeared in more places.  They were a big topic on the discussion group before the forums came along! 

"tlb animated pics" sounds interesting. Is there a discussion somewhere in the forums about how to make them, and some examples?

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2017, 10:49:26 AM »
I have finished The Voice of Vengeance

You can download it from the attachment in this message. 

It took me two days less than the 7 days allowed.  However, there was an issue with one of the wall-sets, which turned out to be larger than 34k in size.  The wall set is still in the game, and it is my hope that the issues it caused have been wiped out.

Don't expect perfection (that's the point of the contest anyway).  Do expect to spend about two hours beating the game, though.  The game includes two ending options (both good and evil, your choice).

What did I learn from the "One-Week Challenge?"

During this week, I was afflicted with a terrible sickness (still sick today) that really made it hard to work on the module.  I also had volunteered to work some 12-hour shifts at my job to cover for some other people, which only made things worse. But, still, I pushed through it all in order to finish.

And that is what I learned:
If I really want to get something done, nothing can stop me from getting it done.

Good luck on all your projects.  I look forward to playing them.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2017, 11:15:41 AM »
I have finished The Voice of Vengeance.

Hey man congratulations!  I know this has been more than a personal challenge for you with your health and work so this is even more incredible considering the purpose of pushing yourself to completion.

Always amazed by your effort Ben - I sincerely hope this serves as impetus for the rest of us to bite the bit and carry our own efforts through to upload status :)

Offline Jadefang

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2017, 03:01:32 AM »
I've completed my entry to this challenge, The Crumpton Uprising, in the span of around five days. It can be found here.

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2017, 11:11:36 AM »
I've completed my entry to this challenge

Awesome!  Congratulations Jadefang - this FRUAdom event has been a pleasant surprise.  Thanks for participating :)

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2017, 11:28:18 AM »
One-Week Challenge update:  still plugging and chugging along  ;)

Settled upon a specific colour/design scheme to tie everything together and to bring it more in line with the aesthetics of the graphics I chose to go with (I usually favour the eye of the beholder/lands of lore series as a generalised go-to (90-92 range of game graphics).  This has taken me out of my comfort zone and it's been challenging but really great to explore.

Checklist so far:

* Story/Plot -- done
 * New Frame -- done
 * New Bigpics --  9 done
 * New Smallpics -- 54 done
 * New .TLB animated pics -- 7 done
 * New Gamefont -- done
 * New Always -- done
 * New titles -- done
 * New Wallsets -- 5 done
 * New Backdrops -- 6 done
 * New dungeon (ugh! :( ) -- 2 done
 * New wilderness -- 3 done
 * New combat icons -- 17 done

Added some colour cycling to a bigpic which was fun to do and went back to spot colour in some shading for effect on pics to bring it more in line with rest of game.

Researching gaming history for this little project has been the best part:  reliving campaigns that built the foundation of D&D and then some... boy howdy is there some meat on those bones!  It's been very inspiring, to say the least, to explore d&d1 thru ad&d 2nd edition including what was used to build FRUA ruleset and its roots.  I knew about the general divisions of authors between the Blackmoor and Greyhawk campaigns and I've culled flavours from both to use in my own recipe.  All in all, it's great to take a break from Deepdelvers and throw all-in to something completely different.

Hope everyone is doing well and doing something FRUA  :)

Offline Ray

« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2017, 12:51:32 PM »
Congratulations!  Can't wait to see what you made! 

I've completed my entry to this challenge, The Crumpton Uprising, in the span of around five days. It can be found here.

Offline Ray

« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2017, 12:58:36 PM »

Oh, my goodness...That sounds really exciting!  Not just the promise of seeing more of your artwork, but also the historical flavor that you're talking about.  I'm really anxious to see what you're cooking up!

I'm a little under half way through my personal challenge, but unfortunately, I think what I'm working on is going to take more than a week to complete.  But, this is the first thing I've done with FRUA since Epic Ascension back in 2007.  So, if my first work in 10 years take a little longer than a week to get finished, I'm willing to forgive me... I'm personally challenging myself, after all...  ;)

One-Week Challenge update:  still plugging and chugging along  ;)

Settled upon a specific colour/design scheme to tie everything together and to bring it more in line with the aesthetics of the graphics I chose to go with (I usually favour the eye of the beholder/lands of lore series as a generalised go-to (90-92 range of game graphics).  This has taken me out of my comfort zone and it's been challenging but really great to explore.

Checklist so far:

* Story/Plot -- done
 * New Frame -- done
 * New Bigpics --  9 done
 * New Smallpics -- 54 done
 * New .TLB animated pics -- 7 done
 * New Gamefont -- done
 * New Always -- done
 * New titles -- done
 * New Wallsets -- 5 done
 * New dungeon (ugh! :( ) -- 2 done

Added some colour cycling to a bigpic which was fun to do and went back to spot colour in some shading for effect on pics to bring it more in line with rest of game.

Researching gaming history for this little project has been the best part:  reliving campaigns that built the foundation of D&D and then some... boy howdy is there some meat on those bones!  It's been very inspiring, to say the least, to explore d&d1 thru ad&d 2nd edition including what was used to build FRUA ruleset and its roots.  I knew about the general divisions of authors between the Blackmoor and Greyhawk campaigns and I've culled flavours from both to use in my own recipe.  All in all, it's great to take a break from Deepdelvers and throw all-in to something completely different.

Hope everyone is doing well and doing something FRUA  :)

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2017, 02:08:18 PM »
 Today is doctors' day so I will be inactive but still thinking heavily about this current challenge:  for those of us who aren't designing for the March 13th hit date, I had an idea about doing something: perhaps create your personal (favourite?) pc party using your preferred icon palette and include both the .chr and icon files for upload?  It would be interesting and awesome to see gameplay through your eyes  :)

personal update: (doing this helps keep me on-track)

Checklist so far:

* Story/Plot -- done
 * New Frame -- done
 * New Bigpics --  11 done
 * New Smallpics -- 56 done
 * New .TLB animated pics -- 9 done
 * New Gamefont -- done
 * New Always -- done
 * New titles -- done
 * New Wallsets -- 13 done
 * New dungeon -- 2 done
 * New Music! hacked .diff to include 8 new tunes  :)  (cheers to GoldBoxFan, Hans, and especially Nologgie (where are you man?) for this)

About three weeks left... hope everyone is enjoying themselves.  If you haven't tried them out, we've two new challenge designs by ProphetSword (The Voice of Vengeance) and Jadefang (The Crumpton Uprising)!  Even if just these two adventures were the results of the endeavour, I would call it a success.  Congratulations to both of you :D

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2017, 06:44:36 PM »
I hope everyone is still doing their prep work.  Don't think that just because I finished my one-week challenge that I am going to let the rest of you off the hook. 

I am considering doing another one when everyone else does one, given that I won't be deathly ill the week that I do it (finally starting to feel completely well again).

Offline hans

« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2017, 09:30:21 AM »
... (finally starting to feel completely well again).

I'm glad to hear that, Ben   :)

Offline Moonbeam111

« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2017, 09:29:21 AM »
Unfortunately, I have nothing to contribute (I don't know how to create modules at all) but this is quite an interesting thread. The fact you guys are creating these in a week or less, without an incentive much less (besides the enjoyment of seeing OTHER people enjoy your games) just shows how dedicated the FRUA community is. We'll be continuing to look forward to what you guys can cook up!

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2017, 05:06:58 PM »
There's plenty of time to learn how to make a module.  Feel free to ask questions or start a new thread to ask questions if it's something that interests you.