Author Topic: REVIEW: The Deadly Power (by Balze)  (Read 744 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
REVIEW: The Deadly Power (by Balze)
« on: January 21, 2009, 06:55:17 PM »
The Deadly Power
Author: Balze
Imported Graphics: Yes
For: IBM
Additional Documentation: No
# of Dungeons: ?

Review by: ??

This is a relatively lengthy module with a good foundation. You start in a small town, and the author provides all vital information regarding what you're supposed to do. The plot itself is pretty basic: a protective artifact has been stolen from a town, and you are needed to stop the thieves and retrieve it. It's a relatively well developed plot.

However, and it's my classic complaint... the random encounters are somewhat unbalanced. The frequency of randoms is a bit on the high side for my tastes, but bareable. The problem comes in with the difficulty of randoms. They tend to be far more difficult that necessary, and after one or two, you will often find yourself sans two or three party members. Considering the rarity of resting spots, that seems a bit much to me.

The set encounters too, are a bit on the tough side, but that's almost to be expected. Still, a party of 5th level characters probably shouldn't be in fights with 6 and more giants, half of which are spell casters.

There is a particularly difficult maze at the end, a very interesting, if somewhat wicked, idea for a maze. ;>

All in all, a pretty good effort, but the combat needs a bit of work. (I'm starting to feel like a broken record with the combat thing. ;>) I'd recommend it, but only if you like difficult encounters. ;>

Story Execution: A-
Encounters: B
Innovativity: B
Bug Control: B
Overall: B+   
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 06:27:46 PM by Olivier Leroux »
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: REVIEW: The Deadly Power
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 10:14:11 AM »
The Deadly Power
by Balze

Reviewed by Susan McKinney

This module is LONG!!!! It took me a week to play it (couple of hours every night). The problem is that the end is incomplete. In the final castle there are two teleporter pad problems. (say that 5 times fast) :) ONE: The initial maze has no teleport out to the next room of the castle. TWO: After killing big evil LICH (sorry for the spoiler), you are trapped forever in his four sets of rooms forever. Until you save and remove your characters. There is no culmination, no wrapup, no "Thank you for saving us". How big of a letdown do you ask? Can you tell from my sarcastic rendition above? SIGH!!!!

Rating: 2.0
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline PetrusOctavianus

Re: REVIEW: The Deadly Power (by Balze)
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 09:59:28 AM »
This module is quite badly balanced. New characters start with +1 gear and 25,000 XP. I transfered in characters with about 20,000 XP and with +1-2 gear, Gauntlets of Paralyzation, and lots of Scrolls with Hold Monster and Death Spell, but it still became an uphill struggle in the second dungeon. I used up all the Hold Monster items on armies of Giants (many of them spell casters), and Death Spells on Drow (for some reason this spell seems to bypass Magic Resistance), and when I had to resort to save scumming and resting after every second battle I concluded my pary was not up to the task.
I recommend importing characters with much more than 25,000 XP, which I may do myself some day.

The module suffers from some bad spelling, rather too frequent random encounters, events not always firing off correctly, and somewhat empty dungeons, but still it was fun before it became frustrating.