Author Topic: REVIEW: The case of stolen Masterpiece  (Read 656 times)

Offline Milos Gulan

REVIEW: The case of stolen Masterpiece
« on: April 14, 2017, 04:40:33 AM »
This is very nice module that will introduce You to small dwarven town and You will be on a mission to solve a crime mystery, playing as two famous detectives Half elf and I think gnome.

First about art, it is great and it leaves me wishing I could do such wonders. I like the style, yellow, grey, green portrait backgrounds and similar effects add a lot to atmosphere. What more could be said, it is really good.

Now about story. It is also very nice and interesting with exploring dwarven town and solving mystery of crown theft. I enjoyed it a lot though I finished it very easy and felt like I scored a critical, because after intro I started roaming through town and finished it almost instantly.

There is no combat in the game, maybe that is a good thing and for change I enjoyed it too, though as I have said how I finished it reminds me of my luck in rolls from last session when we fought white dragon (weak breath weapon attack, but with solid hit points), when I was hasted and from 4 hits I scored 3 with rolls 17,19, 18 making total of at least 70hps (with two handed sword with dmg 3d6+5) and wizard finished him when dragon tried to escape from the cave sealing it with firewall spell (or similar, but there was some form of wall of fire on the entrance)

Here are few screenshots and complete session of my gameplay (it contains spoilers, if You are about to play this module better read it after), but as it is really great I am sure I will have to play it few more times :) http://www.reonis.com/gulan/Jr/The_Case_of_the_stolen_Masterpiece_jr1.cb7

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 06:40:59 AM by Milos Gulan »

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
Re: REVIEW: The case of stolen Masterpiece
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 06:22:54 AM »
Thanks for the review, Milos! Concerning combat - it depends on who the culprit is. Some of the possible culprits may attack Sherlas and Conanson.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 06:40:24 AM »
You are welcome. Thanks for leting me know, I will try playing again. And I have to say again that I really wish I could learn to do things good as Dinonykos and Uatu. Especialy those colored area maps and to use walls and portraits like used here. And I will have to learn to make nice portraits and icons too like they are done here :)

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 12:41:26 AM »
I played with sound this time!  The music and sounds are great, and really add to the ambiance.  (Did you write those songs?  They are very nice!  If you did, I am curious to know what kind of software you used to encode them, too.)  Incidentally, I did experience combat as well!

Really amazing how each time the culprit is randomly determined - very well set up.
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 07:24:20 AM »
Thank you, I am really happy you like it. It still becomes a little repetitive, thus I followed Steve's advice and only made 5 different scenarios.

I use Anvil Studio, which is a free MIDI software (I think you have to pay something for advanced possibilities).
I normally write songs from scratch, but in this special case, I tried to reflect themes from different Holmes-related TV shows.
For my Helmetlands adventures, my idea is to have a certain song for every main character, but that is not so easy.

I think if you like this adventure, you could also try "The Fiend's Ritual" since it is also a detective story to some degree. It is also quite special concerning the music, since it features one "real" song (not MIDI) and several music pieces were composed together with two friends...
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 07:57:40 AM »
I tried downloading Anvil Studio, and tried it out - it is easy to use in some ways, but I found adding to the C clef (after G clef) difficult (due to rhythm of first clef I guess?).  But it is easier to use than other software I tried before.  Many kudos to your writing your own stuff, it's not easy!

I will definitely try the Fiend's Ritual next - also to hear the music :D

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 12:31:09 AM »
Doh - I tried Fiend's Ritual the other day, but I could not get it to work.  Maybe it was made in an older version of Windows?  I will try one of the newer modules next.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 02:31:01 AM »
Fiend's Ritual was done with 0.914. It must be converted to a newer version if you want to play it with Win 8 or 10.
Good news is, it should be easier to convert this one compared to my other designs since I did not alter the races, classes etc., only items.
Alternatively, you could use programs like D3D Windower. But maybe I can try converting Fiend's Ritual tonight.

I tried downloading Anvil Studio, and tried it out - it is easy to use in some ways, but I found adding to the C clef (after G clef) difficult (due to rhythm of first clef I guess?). 
I think I already wanted to ask earlier, but did not do it back then: You use the C clef? Quite rare, if you do not play Renaissance music or such things...  :o

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 04:04:36 AM »
Oops - I meant F clef!  Maybe I tried to put the C clef in and it failed...  I think only viola players use the C clef...

Maybe I will instead play some of the Helmetlands designs - but there are so many, I don't know where to start :D

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 08:15:10 AM »
Right now, only "Ambassador's Letter" is available for DC 2.x, all other Helmetlands games have been done with 0.914. Good thing is that "Ambassador's Letter" is also the one which is first in the games' timeline, so that it makes sense to start with it... :)

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 08:43:02 AM »
Great - the choice is clear then!  :D

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 02:15:34 PM »
All of your designs run just fine for me in Win 8 and 8.1.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 05:11:34 PM »
Oh! Great! I think they did not run when I tested some of them on Win 8. What did you try, Uatu, Win 8 or Win 10?

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 01:03:04 PM »
I have Win 8 and 8.1. Every DC design available through this forum runs in both. :D

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 09:55:13 AM »
I have Windows 8.1...  weird, wonder why it does not work for me?

anything