Author Topic: Towers of Magic  (Read 13339 times)

Offline Milos Gulan

Re: Towers of Magic
« Reply #255 on: April 05, 2017, 12:47:40 AM »
I have recovered my lost evil NPC portraits and icons from 1024x768 mod and corrected things, and good thing is that I saved a lot of time not having to do it from start.

Now I was thinking to add them to town encounters. Probably will have one with full party and few with low level mosters lead by one of the evil NPCs.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #256 on: April 08, 2017, 11:05:50 AM »
I have made first template for any character with portrait, meant to be used with any NPC that I don't have sprite or portrait for. Maybe I should make icon too, but here is what I have for now.

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #257 on: April 08, 2017, 02:17:56 PM »
This is an awesome-clever idea there Milos!

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #258 on: April 09, 2017, 12:25:01 AM »
Thank You very much. Here is the icon too, it works good only that it seems there is a bug with a club as it seems there is a problem with attacking with it so NPCs just guard instead. In editor in Weapon type it stands hand held, thrown and that is probably a mistake. Will need to submit bug :)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #259 on: April 09, 2017, 03:32:09 AM »
This is an awesome-clever idea there Milos!

To be honest, I have not yet understood the idea. Or is it that the face of the NPC is not visible so that you can use different protraits with him?

In any case, the different "zooms" to the character in the portrait, sprite and icon look very convincing!  :D
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #260 on: April 09, 2017, 11:42:54 AM »
Yes that is the idea. I need one or more universal looking sprites that I can use any portraits with. I probably will do one more female and maybe one monster like characters, maybe even classes to like for example universal looking wizard.

That is just idea for now :) we will see how it will develop but for example this portrait and that sprite should be usable with any portrait like this one. In DC You would first see sprite shown above then some text with this (or any other) portrait

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #261 on: May 02, 2017, 10:38:06 AM »
I am trying to continue my work on this, and here is what I have for now. It is a try to set up eastern part of the town and humanoid stronghold outside of town... My plan is to run an evil character and bring him to eastern part of the town to infiltrate wizards university and have some adventure :) here are picture of Wizards university and new female generic character (usual representative for any female), will need to render icons too...

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #262 on: May 03, 2017, 02:11:53 AM »
Nice art! Do I understand it right that this is going to culminate in one epic design?
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #263 on: May 05, 2017, 06:25:56 AM »
Thank You, It should have happened that way :).

It may still happen as I have decided to not run any tabletop or online adventures anymore and just focus on making it. Btw I have tried to run this and played one session :) but problem is that I don't have good encounter tables for monster and treasure and for it to work good I will have to make them. Maybe some time later...

But I will need to work on those pictures first... and other things concerning this design. Trouble is I will have to study after summer but till then I will try to work as much as I can on my lap top though, my first priority will be my books...

I know time is ticking out and that maybe I will not be able to finish it soon or maybe at all but I will give it my best try :) for now I am trying to get Lifeguard licence and swimming 3 times per week for test in start of june, beside work outside, that is why this is a bit slower then usual :/ sorry everyone.

But on the good side I have decided to dedicate my time to this as I really like DC mods creating, developing and learning more than anything, and this forum is cool and people friendly. Now I know to make 3d art, I still need to learn how to make some nicer things with art and drawing, improve my scripting abilities ect. I was thinking to upload map of the underground and maybe ask for some advice about how to set rooms inside... also I have problem with english grammar, I need to find good spellchecker and maybe someone to read it first and check for mistakes.

One thing that I am currently not happy about is that design is half finished and that I can do much about to change it :) but I will try to make it as much as I can.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 06:30:45 AM by Milos Gulan »

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #264 on: May 05, 2017, 09:14:24 AM »
Maybe the hint Manikus gave me in another thread may be useful to you, Milos:

I think it is very wise to break up the big epic projects into smaller, more manageable designs. Have you thought about building them in such a way as to combine them at a latter point? You would need "master" databases, by which I mean ones that included all the need things (spells, items, etc) for all of the designs. And I think you could assign a block of levels to each, 1-20 for the first, 21-40 for the second, etc. Not that you should do this, just something to consider. ;)

I could imagine this would work well with your Towers of Magic project.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #265 on: May 06, 2017, 04:28:38 AM »
Thanks for Your comments D, they really make me think about my work to improve things :).

Mistake I have made is that I have gone to woods instead of working on Eastern part of the town... But back then I didn't had models to do it in 3d and it was more interesting to go on to adventure to towers of magic :) My first idea was to do something like DL test of wizardry (test of the high sorcery) but later I didn't thought much about it...

Anyway during the creation process I have made Humanoid stronghold in the woods that became 3rd important map part of the module (or at least big :)) ), trouble is it will take time to detail it but I need to do it also because there is main plot of probably a dragon and some necromancer that need to be stoped to take over the city...

Now another bad thing is that I am a bit slowed down by my outside work but I really would like to make it work and would like to have two sides (or more later like elves, dwarves ect): evil ones that can be also played and like for example minion of sauron that wants to infiltrate and take over town and good side that needs to defend and destroy evil stronghold before exploring more of the continent :)

That it is in short now, there is a prophecy that some heroes will show up and stop humanoid attacks on the town once for all but I need to work it out and add even more to the city like underground and part with port (and skyport).

Btw there was also one short fanfiction FR story called Sanctuary or something like that I have read before 10 years or so. It was really nice I think that it was about a place for humanoids that were not evil like for example half orc, drow worshiper of elistree ect... I was planing to create something like that too in the forest and that will probably be expansion of the forest. But also my plan was to create few air levels where adventurers with flying could adventure and battle in the air some flying monsters that also could be done in town and well also adventures on the roofs for rogues...

But lol need to work things right now I am doing a render for a mothers day and will try to create a pirate girl for this module too... And today is St George btw my patron saint day, my family celebrates it so i have two days free including tomorrow...

Btw I was thinking about Your modules last few days and my opinion is maybe that those stories should be in one module and when You finish one just stat another in the same module. But of course I am still new to module creating and I know it is all hard to do, and I need to learn a lot from others before I actualy make things good.

But what I have learned is that I really need to make a good plan in order not to make any more mistakes because time is very precious :)   
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 04:37:07 AM by Milos Gulan »

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #266 on: May 06, 2017, 10:08:49 AM »
Ok here is the picture of humanoid HQ, will write more about it later...

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #267 on: May 06, 2017, 10:14:49 AM »
Ok now I am doing room 14 and 15 on the left page... Room 5 should be connection to the underdark and eventualy to the underground of town. I need to do art now to finish things. Btw I was thinking to make 4 or more party members that should be evil and champions oof this dungeon. Will try to role play them :)

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #268 on: May 06, 2017, 01:21:55 PM »
And I have finished this :) will need to try it but I will leave it for tomorrow

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #269 on: May 07, 2017, 12:56:16 AM »
And here are my first NPC walls, though they are not yet good as Dynonikos's but from front they look good. Also I think I will do things to activate on look and search like conversation with NPCs on the street ect though I will have to work a bit more to make things right, but at least Humanoid HQ looks a bit better now.

anything