Author Topic: Questions about DC  (Read 15561 times)

Offline Milos Gulan

Re: Questions about DC
« Reply #180 on: April 04, 2017, 06:04:47 AM »
I will try, thanks for letting me know about Your age, I was wondering and now things are much clearer. My parents are 70 and this year I felt a need to be much more with them as they are getting old and I just need to take care about them a lot better.

Now thinking about it yes it is a massive one. I tried to do a (big) campaign that consists of lot of smaller adventures. I have not planed limit and was thinking to test what I can do with DC, but it could go all the way to Lv 20 and above to immortal characters, though my thoughts were to concentrate on lower level adventures and fix bugs along the way. That means I should work up to Level 4 for now, later 8 then if things go good to 12, 16 and 20... I planned different version of same places for different levels, but haven't yet tried it and there should be choices for avoiding combat as I am trying to make it focused on the story...

I am developing my own RPG system along the way too and also system for mapping that I can use with DC. I have a notebook where I draw maps and next expansion will be roads.

About in game art, I like to do it but lately I think I should focus on scripting and learning to make in game programm better. I still dream about making my own version of DC that could work with my own RPG system :)

One more thing... this module is my try to continue my previous adventures in my published RPG system. Now I am trying to do 2nd version and somehow I imagined that my previous world exploded and that now there are many small planets, moons and asteroids there full of life and the current adventure is on one of them and adventures could visit others too.

Also there should be option to go back into the past in times before the cataclysm :) only problem is that I will need to redo all that as now my plan is to do English version though I will need to do Serbian and possibly Russian version. I will have to think how to do maps but probably English will be first language for maps if I can't make some smart solution.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 06:07:54 AM by Milos Gulan »

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #181 on: April 04, 2017, 10:15:23 AM »
my plan is to do English version

That is the version I would prefer.  I have enough trouble
speaking English.  They tried to teach me Latin: total failure.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #182 on: April 04, 2017, 01:41:06 PM »
I will try to do what I can, I have to admit that my English is not perfect :). I tried to learn Latin and I still have a book of Latin quotes and phrases. That is a real wisdom, I read it from time to time or on my phone from similar app.

Btw it seems my evil party portrait and icons are missing all except one... I think I will need to do my backup of my mod more seriously from now on. Also I need to download and sort Manikus altered portraits, especialy guards and female human and drow portraits.

One more thing, I tried to make a book of DC commands and tutorials hoping to learn them but for about a year I have not updated it. Hm I was thinking to maybe write a bit about UA history too :) but nm it now. I will need to learn it first :)

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #183 on: April 04, 2017, 07:31:20 PM »
Hm I was thinking to maybe write a bit about UA history too :) but nm it now. I will need to learn it first :)

This seems like the proper order to me. Learn it first, then write about it second.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #184 on: April 05, 2017, 12:35:46 AM »
Yes I will. People are very smart and cool here. I will try to learn and document things. Hm I need to ask a favor from Uatu :) and will post about my progress in my mod thread. Need to go to swimming today too :)

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #185 on: December 12, 2017, 09:31:46 AM »
I have been thinking about this for some time and I think it might be better to just ask:

I have been preparing GH campaign and i have come to a place where there is several adventures possible, meaning characters are advancing over level 8 and there are still lots of adventures to be done and there is no time. This means those adventures have to be done by lower level characters while main adventures are on the main quest.

How this can be done?

For example group have characters that are playing Greyhawk Castle, they make another characters when they get bored of those that they play (it is not easy to play one class for a long time) and lets say are called by mayor of GH and they are offered few quests alongside other heroes who volontered. For example to find Dragotha dracolich's lair, to go on adventures against giants (Queen of spiders campaign), ect. Those quests needs to be played in game because city of GH is under threat.

Now how can this be done in DC. I know it is a bit too much to make but potentialy I would like to see it done. Now lets say my first party is on the main quest and they have just killed lich in GH castle and come to GH city where stones started to rain and really bad weather. After some divination they need to head to north where they will battle another lich but much stronger this time who is causing this.

Now on the other hand there are other adventures for lower level characters that still can be played. Would it be possible to save those first party characters and switch to other party (they can be pregen NPCs) and form it to be under command of first party. And maybe have few more of parties like that they are under command of the first party.

That was my idea. Just asking if something like that would be possible?

In my mod I play with one main character and others are PC pregens that are changing, but still I would like to change leading character (if he becomes too high level) and play with other low level party and to be able to return to my leading character. That is about it.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #186 on: December 12, 2017, 01:03:24 PM »
You already have the answer, you just don't know it. )

Quests. You would create a Quest for each of your sub-adventures and then use Logic Block or Utilities or GPDL scripts (all 3 work equally well) t determine if a given Quest is in progress, completed, failed, etc.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #187 on: December 13, 2017, 06:06:38 AM »
Ok  ;D need to learn it.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #188 on: December 14, 2017, 05:07:11 PM »
I think I have not asked this. I need a sword that deals extra +d6 of fire damage or maybe cold or electrical ect. It shoould be +1 like flame tongue, I have looked in DMG 1e flame tonue looks to be more complicated. But I need to learn how to make some more magical weapons then just +1-+5 if it is possible. Just need it for adventuring :).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 05:09:20 PM by Milos Gulan »

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #189 on: December 14, 2017, 10:32:15 PM »
I think I have not asked this. I need a sword that deals extra +d6 of fire damage or maybe cold or electrical ect. It shoould be +1 like flame tongue, I have looked in DMG 1e flame tonue looks to be more complicated. But I need to learn how to make some more magical weapons then just +1-+5 if it is possible. Just need it for adventuring :).

1. Make an item in the editor named "Long Sword Flame Tongue".
2. Give the item a Special Ability named "item_LongSwordFlameTongue".
3. Edit the Special Abilities database to add a Special Ability named "item_LongSwordFlameTongue".
4. Add a script named "ComputeDamage" to the item_LongSwordFlameTongue SA as follows:
$VAR par5; // Hook parameter 5 = damage as computed by engine
$SET_HOOK_PARAM(5, par5 +# $RANDOM(6) +# 1);

It will be more complicated if you want to check whether or not the monster you are attacking is immune to fire. It will also be more complicated if you want the text message that appears on the screen to indicate fire damage instead of the default "Rolls 19 and hits for 14 points". But the above is a simple weapon that deals an extra 1d6 damage on a hit.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #190 on: December 15, 2017, 08:50:17 AM »
I think you forgot to establish a value to 'par5'.
(The comment alone won't suffice.).

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #191 on: December 15, 2017, 02:33:17 PM »
You might want to give this a try...

Code: [Select]
\(BEGIN)
name = item_LongSwordFlameTongue
[ComputeDamage] = $VAR p5;
-$VAR noFire;
-$VAR someFire;
-$VAR fireDamage;
-p5 = $GET_HOOK_PARAM(5);
-noFire = $GET_CHARACTER_SA($TargetContext(),"elemental_ImmuneFire");
-someFire = $GET_CHARACTER_SA($TargetContext(),"elemental_ResistantFire");
-fireDamage = $RANDOM(6) +# 1; // we add 1 because  the $RANDOM function will provide a number from 0 to 5
-$IF (noFire != "-?-?-") {$RETURN p5;};
-$IF (someFire != "-?-?-") {$RETURN p5 /# 2;};
-$RETURN p5 + fireDamage;
\(END)

Add this to your text database and import - make sure and follow the steps Nol pointed out of creating an item and adding an SA with this name to that item.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #192 on: December 15, 2017, 06:03:03 PM »
Ok, thank You very much. I will try it tomorrow. What I have done is this pic and I need that sword and skeleton sprites that I will try to do soon :)

Btw I got Cararra 8.5 Pro and now will be able to animate things. I just need to learn it a bit :D I have been busy with it today.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #193 on: December 16, 2017, 01:56:25 PM »
Ok, thank You very much. I will try it tomorrow. What I have done is this pic and I need that sword and skeleton sprites that I will try to do soon :)

Btw I got Cararra 8.5 Pro and now will be able to animate things. I just need to learn it a bit :D I have been busy with it today.

Cararra 8.5 is fun to sue. Not as easy to get around in as Studio, but it renders nicely (I think IRay does just as good a job).

So, you can animate in Studio...