Author Topic: "Release the Kraken!"  (Read 3694 times)

Offline hans

"Release the Kraken!"
« on: April 10, 2010, 08:26:49 PM »
Warning:  I expect this thread to be rife with spoilers for the movie CLASH OF THE TITANS. 

I saw the new version, and I liked it. 

I must say, tho, it does paint a fairly dreary cosmology for the folks living in it.  Both gods and men are driven by selfishness and envy.  The bitter hero is out for revenge.  Everybody has big chips on their shoulders (except maybe the two female leads).   :-*

Perseus refuses to go to Olympus, so, presumably he's okay with going to the Greek underworld when he dies.  What do you think the chances are that he may meet a guy named Hades there...?  :P

Offline JudgeDeadd

• There's a custom title box now?
  • A perfect day for a short walk around the world.
Re: "Release the Kraken!"
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 01:38:26 AM »
I look into a Polish newspaper (Polish edition of "The Times", IIRC) and what do I see? A big article whose author complains about how the movie shows an inaccurate view of mythology because it depicts mythic heroes as Hollywood-style badasses. Most notably, he complains that the Hollywood movies are all about fighting and never about fishing or farming.
“For one who claims to be no more than an observer of this play, you’ve had more than your share of commentary, stranger.”

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 02:47:27 AM »
Most notably, he complains that the Hollywood movies are all about fighting and never about fishing or farming.

That's like complaining that we don't see the heroes use the loo often enough.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 05:52:02 AM »
we don't see the heroes use the loo often enough.

Vincent Vega gave in to the temptation and went to the bathroom although his story was not over yet. What good did it do him? Most movie heroes are just a little more careful, I guess.  ;)

On a sidenote, I recently watched an episode of Dexter where that (British?) woman did the same and Dexter's (American) colleagues were amused by her use of the word "loo".  ;D

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 05:58:17 AM »
On a sidenote, I recently watched an episode of Dexter where that (British?) woman did the same and Dexter's (American) colleagues were amused by her use of the word "loo".  ;D

At first, I wanted to write "the privy".  ;)

Interestingly, in "The Sect", you can do both: Engage in farming and use the privy. I suppose the writer from the Polish Times would love it...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 06:03:39 AM by Ben J »
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 06:01:29 AM »
I forgot:

Vincent Vega gave in to the temptation and went to the bathroom although his story was not over yet. What good did it do him? Most movie heroes are just a little more careful, I guess.  ;)

Vincent Vega uses the bathroom three times, and each time something bad happens. Maybe the whole movie serves as a warning: what to do and not to do if you're a movie character.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 12:00:10 PM »
Just to tie together the thread's title, original topic, and the toilet talk ...

http://www.theaterhopper.com/2010/04/05/a-kraken-good-time/

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 01:20:53 PM »
Is "Release the Kraken" the new "This is Sparta"?
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline hans

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 03:43:43 PM »
Speaking of krakens, that was one of my big beefs with Pirates of the Caribbean 3 (At World's End).  After building up this breathtaking creature in #2 (Dead Man's Chest) to uber-mythic proportions, right up to Jack Sparrow's jump into it's gaping maw, #3 opens with the creature already dead -- treated like little more than a footnote!!!

If they had to kill it, okay, but they coulda at least shown a bit of the epic fight it musta took to slay the beast...   >:(

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 03:59:39 PM »
Speaking of krakens, that was one of my big beefs with Pirates of the Caribbean 3 (At World's End).  After building up this breathtaking creature in #2 (Dead Man's Chest) to uber-mythic proportions, right up to Jack Sparrow's jump into it's gaping maw, #3 opens with the creature already dead -- treated like little more than a footnote!!!

If they had to kill it, okay, but they coulda at least shown a bit of the epic fight it musta took to slay the beast...   >:(

Like the Matrix sequels, the Pirates sequels were a big mess. I couldn't believe that both series' parts two and three were produced simultaneously, since they both featured extemely lame and botched conclusions to their respective cliffhangers.

I was particularly angry at the squandered opportunities of the "Matrix" sequels. When that cliffhanger to the otherwise shoddy "Reloaded" came along, I thought: "Now they're finally going to deal with the question if the "real world" is really "real"...
But no...
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline hans

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 07:46:20 PM »
Just to tie together the thread's title, original topic, and the toilet talk ...

Great 'toon!   :D 

"Release the Kraken!" is a memorable line and neat catchphrase.  I wonder what (if any) are great lines we could point to from UA mods, or even Goldboxes.  "Monsters attack!" has become justly infamous, but can we think of any good ones...?

blacklotus

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 10:00:49 PM »

Great 'toon!   :D 

"Release the Kraken!" is a memorable line and neat catchphrase.  I wonder what (if any) are great lines we could point to from UA mods, or even Goldboxes.  "Monsters attack!" has become justly infamous, but can we think of any good ones...?

"Monsters Rejoice!"  :P (Always needed a reload when this msg appears. Did anyone ever stop playing the module to completion after seeing this msg?)

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 04:34:24 AM »
I'd also vote for "Monsters Attack!" as UA's most famous catchphrase.

These are the two UA phrases that I fear the most:

"This map can't hold any more events."

and

"Text area is full! There is too much text in the module."

« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 04:38:05 AM by Ben J »
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 12:08:32 PM »